Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

BrinaJo2018This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really liked the poem. I loved how you ended it with the dad being the ultimate reason the son couldn't leave and try to reach his goal. Over-all, a great poem with really good rhymes.  

TheLovel_JThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:09 am
this is a very well constructed poem, i like it a lot. Kepp it up, you're great.

IAndThisMystery said...
Wow, this is an intense poem! I find it really interesting that the i's are lowercase but words like "The Sea" are capitalized--maybe a stylistic choice related to the speaker's innocence and the sea's power/vastness? Like everyone else, I'm intrigued but a little confused about the ending -- will someone reply and tell me what you think it's implying?

LostInThoughts said...
Really really deep. Little confusing, but an amazing poem. Great Job! :)

JohnMichaelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:16 am
the poem left me dumbfounded! it is really great!

Alice A. said...
This poem was really good!  

horsehugger30252This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It has a deep meaning to it, I understand that, but am still a bit confused about the ending. Brilliant and creative rhymes though!

Bloodyrose said...
Three words: I loved it!

dina8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
the end really got me, great poem!

BeautifullyChaos said...
This poem reminded me a lot of the Greek myth about Icarus. :)

gowiththefl0 said...
I like how this poem demonstrates the deep love as well as duty of a father for his son.

Madie2kThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Check your grammar but I loved the poem!

AlexxisRoxxanne said...
Haunting - I love the turn around at the end!

doritos44 said...
that is so deep and i felt like i was actually there, tht was so vivid

Jessica W. said...
Wow, deep. Love

JDANGIANTS1 said...
I love poetry. I love this poem because it's just about you and it tell's something about yourself. Poetry is a very strong way of expressing yourself freely.

fairygabby99 said...
1786 comments! Do you even bother to read these anymore? 

JDANGIANTS1 replied...
That's a lot of readers.

PrettyKitty570 said...
I really love this poem! :)

ScarletBluez said...
Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:15 am
Great poem, simple but has impact