Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

12yearold said...
Apr. 12 at 11:36 am
I'm so sorry that I have to say this but this could be because I'm very dumb. But I got that The dad has got the child trapped but is the rest of the poem him just trying to do this. Can someone fully explain the very deep meaning through of this very beautifully written emotional and raw poem. Don't get me wrong, I love this poem.

passion_poet19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 10 at 1:49 pm
i see beyond this flow of the words they speak to me but i really like this poem. GOOD JOB.!!

A helping hand said...
Apr. 7 at 11:14 am
This is called imprisonment, seek a local child counselor.

VaquerodelEspacio replied...
Apr. 8 at 2:44 pm
You just made my day good sir!

Atlas_WomanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 2 at 12:16 pm
Quite lovely....

Jozzykay said...
Mar. 31 at 10:48 am
This is so emotional I love it!

SweetMonster365 said...
Mar. 30 at 11:13 pm
I love how you can get dragged into the poem

HeleneZ said...
Mar. 30 at 2:55 pm
DEEP DUUUUUUUDE

CharleyHeelisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 5:59 pm
Pls check out my work... Fire or Ice by CharleyHeelis. ....thanks xx

SkylerEldredgeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 9 at 5:09 pm
I'll gladly check out your work if someone will PLEASE check out mine, I've been writing for six years and I'm just starting to put it out there like everyone's been telling me too... thanks guys

PianoKeys97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 23 at 4:16 pm
Sad, complex, powerful, and beautiful all at once. I loved reading this. Every idea flowed so coherently. This was a very unique, well-developed, and well-written poem. And the end, "I saw my Father pull on a chain, then I knew that I was bound," what a twist. Keep writing!

beAWESOMEstayAWESOMEThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 18 at 6:05 pm
THIS IS SO SAD. it SEEMS LIKE ITS ABOUT A BOY WHO DOESN'T WANT HIS SON TO LEAVE HIS SIDE, BUT GOOD WORK AND KEEP WRITING! :) *THUMBS UP* #TALENTED

jossetteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 3:32 pm
I love it, it captures my feelings so well

anna2000This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 11 at 2:53 pm
I have read through this poem so many times and it keeps getting better. Good Work!

Anonwriter1821 said...
Mar. 9 at 10:59 pm
Amazing I love it.

MasheyDino_14 said...
Mar. 5 at 11:57 am
Pretty good. I LUV IT!

Kay_Cruz said...
Feb. 26 at 10:48 am
This remind me so much of myself

JabrielAndrews said...
Feb. 21 at 10:09 pm
this has purpose

Sonic-BoomThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 21 at 10:05 pm
This poem makes me feel a little bit mor understood in the context of fatherly....conflicts

KrustyKrabPizza said...
Feb. 21 at 2:22 am
I simply think this is beautiful. It's short, which I love, but so powerful. I love the complexity of it. Amazing!