Daddy's Womb | Teen Ink

Daddy's Womb MAG

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

TaroPig said...
on Oct. 9 2008 at 12:08 am
I really don't think this is that great of a poem. Frankly, it could use a little more work in the wording choice. I liked how I could [barely] connect to it, but it just didn't... uh, appeal to me. Don't slash me or anything, I'm just stating my opinion.

Wow, I'm so impressed. I loved the last bit, about being bound. Thats so amazing, this really speaks to me. Keep it up!

Jenu said...
on Oct. 8 2008 at 1:53 am
This is, as everyone else has said, a really beautiful poem. However, what everyone else has not said, I am truly sorry for the experience that led to this poem. Please understand that you can fly, this poem is your chance. Good luck and God bless.

wow, that poem says a lot. its truely awesome. these people were right in choosing you to go in their magazine. try sending your stuff other places and it probably will get published. i wish luck to you...

loveandhate said...
i love this poem

Dude, that totally kicks butt. Its a total piece of something of you, and and its really amazing how you can share it with the world and they can get their own piece of it. kudos, man. you rock.

Cierra H. said...
Wow, you are very VERY good I wish my poems could sound as beautiful and meaningful as yours. It comes straight from the heart, and it so breathtakingly described. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. You deserve to be #1, and published to even greater things. Strive higher, your work is worth it.

Gabby said...
This is AMAZING! it is so powerful.

Pocketnerd said...
Cool, Carl!!!! Keep doing what you are doing, because your writing really speaks to people.

musikreadr said...
on Oct. 4 2008 at 1:31 am
love the poem its amazing

on Oct. 3 2008 at 3:45 am
This is an amazing poem. I really like it. Sometimes I can't really understand poems, because most of the time I can't relate, but this I could really relate too. Check out mine if you want (I think you might like it): TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/56134/Drink-and-Drive/

lillyallen said...
on Oct. 3 2008 at 3:09 am
I love this, it is absolutely beautiful and says something amazing!!!

Starfield said...
Wow that is a really beautiful expression of something sad. What an amazing outlet. Don't stop.

this is a kickin piece of poetry my friend and this is true to us all we are "grounded" i hope to see more of ur work on here

melissa said...
great poem.. love it!

davemac said...
love the poem.

renie said...
reminds me of my relationship with my dad...good work.

sammyboi23 said...
on Aug. 8 2008 at 2:55 am
AWESOME POEM!

on Aug. 7 2008 at 4:12 am
Hey Carl, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your poem. It reminds me of a personal experience. Keep up the Good Job.

kelli said...
Hi Carl, my name is Kelly. I've just finished reading your poem, and I wanted to say that I loved the slant ryhme, and the way in which you went about creating the stanzas. It reminds me of Emily Dickinson, in a way. Keep it up. I don't know what grade you're in, but if you're in college you should start looking at literary magazines to send your work to instead of just teen ink. I don't even know why they would put this on teen ink raw - probably because of the lower case, but I know you know what you were doing. The "i" reprsents the relationship between the speaker and his father.