Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

sallysunshine said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:10 am:
This book seems very odd to me.But i feel bad for her

meemliz replied...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm :
When I first picked up this book, I was in the 6th grade and far too immature to appreciate or learn from the story. However, before freshman year, I read her story, cover to cover in a day. What makes the read so compelling isn't the stories of her parties, etc. It is the display of the ease with which one can slide down into a drug filled insanity. She was an average teen with good intentions and I could relate to that. I agree completely; this book should be required for all high schoolers.

LilithLovely said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm:
I'm in 8th grade and i was reading this book in lunch at school. A teacher comes up to me and says,"That is a very mature book, you shouldnt be reading it." I got angry because I could read any thing I wanted and i related to this book a lot. I grew up around drugs and it was an eyeopener to me. Also i could talk to people about it, exspecialy my mom and sister. The book had been around sense she was my age, and we really bonded over it. What I saw in Alice is the very same thing I see in the pe... (more »)

caliswagggg replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm :
aint nobody druggies wtf

BungalowBillPhotography said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm:
wow, very well written. I have no critique! I loved go ask alice, but I never got to finishing it because my library copy was stolen. I think I'll try to read it again. Thanks! Keep writing!

thickness said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:58 am:
wow thats sad

Howler said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 pm:
REALLY??!!! ARE U SERIOUS? I thought that this was totally true!

Lonewolf1213 said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 11:50 am:
This was such an amazing book; I'm glad someone finally wrote a review on it. Like The Diary of Anne Frank, this book brings the reader into the life of the writer. After I finished reading it, I just sat for a moment, appreciating all the opportunities I have.

BlankPage said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 8:46 am:
IT was really good . Besides the fact that the girls name is not Alice , that's what people think, her name was never said. You hit the book right on the head :)

TabbiJaneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:48 am:
My dad made me read this book when i was 10, saying "this is what drugs do to you" And it scared the living daylights out of me. It really is scary to think that an innocent girl such as Alice could be sucked into the world of drugs so quickly. I can tell you that i have never tuched any substances and i never will, even though it's been offered to me. It's because of this book that people stay off drugs, it's such a real account of teenagers life. And it's in her own words! That's what's so sca... (more »)

teeninkwriter said...
I read this book, you described it perfectly. Bravo for you:)

song-writer26 said...
wow this sounds AMAZING

. said...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 10:01 am:
i read this book i felt awful for alice

MangaLover said...
Did any of you know that Go Ask Alice is a fiction book?? its only based on a real diary but all the writing is compleatly fiction.

eileentotheleft said...
I love this review, but I disagree. This was an amazing book, but when I read it with my english class, 2 students soon became drug addicts. If you do not have strong will and low curiosity for this sort of thing, it will make you want to try drugs.

KristyLynn_TM replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm :
I agree with you. At that point I had a high curiosity and thought myself infallible so I quickly took to experimentation. (I'm totally clean now though.) But this book was definitely a catalyst in my discovery with drugs.

BungalowBillPhotography replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm :
Yes, a lot of things lead to experimentation. but different people take it differently..  

aphilly said...
I loved this book and it's so real because us, teens, are pressured to enter the drug scene

Meli14 replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 1:45 am :

Wait you wrote a book? great job!

Also 

I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

Elyx3 said...
This book is okay. It's not as great as people make it out to be. I respect your opinion, but i felt as if everything she was saying was a lie. The way she wrote it especially had me uninterested. Hippies didn't say golly gosh back than, and I know people who were left wanting to try LSD afterwards because they felt it lacked a lot of information and the trips seemed cool. Especially after reading "Nancy's Baby" who is by the same editor and is written in the same exact format as ... (more »)

thewriteidea This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm :
I read this book too, and I got the impression that it was a true story.