Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

SarahRox said...
I read that was creepy...(shiver)...but i'm glad I read it.
P.S. It never says her name, so we don't know if Alice is her name.
earthy_kat said...
I read "Go Ask Alice" a very long time ago, and I think I need to read it again. Anyone who enjoyed "Go Ask Alice" should also read a book called "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins.
KateMasen replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:34 am
Another good book is "Cut" by Patricia McCormic, and all Ella Hopkins books are awesome. Rx is a great one dealing with drug abuse, though I forget the author.
Alexandria6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:01 am
Another good book that is somewhat similar to this is Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I've read Speak, Cut, and Go Ask Alice, and I think my favorite is Speak, though Go Ask Alice is a close second.
earthy_kat replied...

@ KateMasen: I've read "Cut", actually.I really enjoyed it. (:

@ Alexandria6: I read Speak a long time ago,too.It's another pne that I need to re-read.

hiddenpoet replied...
Crank was really intense
sicklystrange said...
Of course it doesn't say her name in the book! It is supposed to be a journal/diary.
SickImage replied...

Even though it's not real that is a very good point!

I'm glad you said that.

kkhh said...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:48 am
It said on the description that her name was Alice, and it said it on the cover of the book , it didn't have to state her name in the book . !!
SickImage said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:54 am
Also (her name isn't alice) never once in the book does it state the subjects name...
The book was named after a song
melii replied...
i read this book it is a good one , yet i have read etter dealing with this type of books ad themes
SickImage said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:52 am
It was written by an anti drug activist.
She wrote a bunch of books like this.
All of them by "anonymous"
If you're looking for a good book read
Perks of Being a Wallflower
It's 1000 times better than go ask alice, and it deals with the same kind of things..
Anh_Tho said...
Actually there's no proof that it was a girl's diary. If you look in wikipedia it said that the author was actually BEatrice Sparks who is also the 'editor' of the book Besides, the book has words you wouldn't find in a teen's diary (I mean really who uses impregnable and gregarious in an everyday diary entry?) I suppose this is a good book to tell teens about drug abuse but as a REAL diary of a REAL teen. That's a lie!
hiddenpoet replied...
I've heard several different theories about this book. My mom said it was a real diary and it's by Anonymous because they didn't want to hurt the identity of the family. My English teacher said there was a lot of contraversy as to whether a teen actually wrote this diary, or if this teen made it up to get rich. Know one knows for sure I suppose.
autumn-briel said...
I read this book and it was one of the best books i ever read. It was poor written but that's because it was a girls diary. This was so sad but it needed to be told
nagrombackwards said...
I personally did not like this book very much. I read it a few years ago, simply because 2 of my friends had read it and they said that the book was life-changing. I couldn't disagree more. Yes, the book does go deeper in describing the trips, but I felt that the book itself was generally poorly written.
autumn-briel replied...
of course it was poor written it was a girls diary
CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 11:15 am
Though the ending was somewhat disappointing, I loved this book! Loved the review as well.
epickles12 said...
I absolutely loved this book the first time I read it in 8th grade and then had to re-read it again this past year I'm now a sophmore in college! Its still great the second time! So i have a question: I'm not a big reader.. and have a hard time finding books I like -- any sugestions because I loved this book? thank you!
TheUnknownGuest replied...
The Ellen Hopkins books are pretty good. They deal with the same things (kind of). They are really big books but really quick to read because they are in poem form.... Well more like concrete poems I guess. The books are called, Crank, Burned, Glass, Impulse, Identical, and Tricks. Only Crank and Glass are together.... the others are just simular to each other. Let me know if you read them and what you think of them!