Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

poetry.is.beast said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:38 am:
Well dang. I really want to read thiiis!! I may recomend (excuse my spelling) Thirteen Reasons Why, the author of which I don't know...but apparently it's quite good and deals with suicide, the next worse teen issue after drugs.

megglemsm97 replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm :
I also recommend thirteen reasons why!

pasa replied...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 11:25 pm :
13 Reaons Why and The future of Us are both great choices

S. said...
I haven't read the book....but i have been seriously planning on it. i like the idea that the author is "anonymous." there just aren't many of those around, and that is really awesome. I also like the drug thing...totally true, whether the teachers at my school think so or not.

soldout replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm :
same here. it sounds unique and a worthwile read

raggedyanarchy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm :
actually, i spent most of yesterday reading it. I found myself in Barnes and Nobles at like 8:30 p.m. with money to kill, and there it was, and i couldn't resist. It was really good! i cant wait to go get the second one

soldout replied...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:00 pm :
but even though yu picked it up just because yu needde some way to pass the time, it ended up being a good book, huh? because i want to read it soon...

Oct. 3, 2011 at 9:25 pm :
yeah! it was awesome. I'm goinhg to read it again, if i ever get this history homework finished...but i will say that it is not for the faint of heart.

soldout replied...
Oct. 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm :
lol i have a ton of hw too, but i think i'll find time to read it.  and hey, drugs were never the sunshiney rainbow type of thing, were they?

CaeCae97 replied...
Oct. 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm :
There isn't going to be a second one. The girl was real, and her father found it, changed her name, and got it published. Sad, isn't it?

spadeOfhearts replied...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm :
Hey, I haven't even read it, and you're already talking about sequels! XD Yeah, I guess that sucks. So wait, the dad put her name as "anonymous" s nobody could find out the identity of the author? Cooooool.

LizzzardGirl said...
i have read this book i read it when i was in, oh, porbably sixth grade. it was a really good. book. the 'sequel' is Jay's Journal which is also every good.

open_your_eyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This book is a must read for anyone who thinks that drugs are something it's ok to mess with. It shows how bad decisions lead to worse consequences, and how we only get once chance in life to get things right. This book is an eye opener in a terrifying way, in the 21st century most teens really need their eyes opened. It's better to be unacccepted but free then die a horrible death for a few good times.

Kidlet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Loved the book and loved this review. Keep it up! :)

Goldenpen said...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 7:03 am:
This book was eye opening, i read in 7nth grade. Its very intense and has very vivad descriptions

RockGirl182 said...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 6:01 am:
This book touched me in a way that can't be described - A must read for everyone ! - 

SARABEAR said...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 3:51 am:
One of my favorite books! :) 

TheCylceGoesRound said...
When I was in 8th grade, my teacher wanted me to read this for a book report.

TheCylceGoesRound said...
I love this book. It was a page turner and kept me sucked in at all times. It really freaked me out, too. That's what I really like about it, because the kind of thing that happened to the girl happens to many other people and it's such an eye-opener. 

jmdsl said...
my mum gave it to me before yesterday and because it was one of the only books she read when she was young 

hopelessromantic14 said...
This book is great! But, I would like to share with you that the main character's name is not Alice. She is unnamed. The title, Go Ask Alice is from the song "White Rabbit."