Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous MAG

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

carter123 said...
on Nov. 27 2011 at 5:30 pm
Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

megglemsm97 said...
on Nov. 25 2011 at 1:50 pm
megglemsm97, Middlesex, New Jersey

"Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."

I also recommend thirteen reasons why!

caliswagggg said...
on Nov. 15 2011 at 12:25 pm
aint nobody druggies wtf

on Nov. 11 2011 at 9:05 pm
Devi1sAdvocate SILVER, West Branch, Iowa
Personally I found this book to be too scare-tactic and not that gripping. I'm not sure if it's based on actual diaries as it claims. However, your review of it was good, if a little short and it made it seem a lot better then I personally thought it was.

byebye said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 6:38 pm
byebye, Nevermore, Other

dermasticly?

I hope that was supposed to be funny.

Mari said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 11:09 am
The book was named after the Jefferson Airplane song, "White Rabbit." Even though the real author is Anonymous, the editor is listed as the owner for copy right's sake (her name is Beatrice Sparks).

esthert SILVER said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 9:03 am
esthert SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.

I just hope I remember to tell my kids that they are as happy as I look in my old photographs. And I hope that they believe me.

I used to listen to it all the time when I was little and thinking about grown-up things. I would go to my bedroom window and stare at my reflection in the glass and the trees behind it and just listen to the song for hours. I decided then that when I met someone I thought was as beautiful as the song, I should give it to that person. And I didn’t mean beautiful on the outside. I meant beautiful in all ways.

i don't think her name was alice...? the book is just called that. the main character is anonymous

PaolaCrayola said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 8:17 am
PaolaCrayola, Lehigh, Florida

Normal is just a setting on my dryer

yes the girl is real but her father didnt publish it... If you do your research it states that we dont really know who wrote it (although there is an idea of the author) that's why it's anonymous...

Lit.rox BRONZE said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 12:23 am
Lit.rox BRONZE, Kandy, Other
Nice review, useful too.wanna read the book...

on Nov. 4 2011 at 8:56 pm
BookWorm98 BRONZE, Oberlin, Kansas

No one said life was gonna be easy but you gotta pick yourself up dust yourself off and move on.
-Jillian Ruthann

im 14 and my mom made me read this and it dermasticly changed my out look on life

SONIAH said...
on Oct. 29 2011 at 7:30 pm
this book is awesome !!!!!  I read it when i was like 17 and i'm now 44 and i can still tell you all about it !!!

Daniitee2 said...
on Oct. 25 2011 at 2:37 pm
I read this book and it opened my eyes to what drugs do to people. I would not want my life in that postion and my life to be ruined in such a way

on Oct. 25 2011 at 2:37 pm
I REALLY want to read this book. It sounds amazing! I love stories about things people struggle with. Butterflies and sunshine isn't real life. It just isn't. I might go and buy this after school. Thanks for the amazing review and heads up about this book! :)

on Oct. 17 2011 at 3:55 pm
Hey, I haven't even read it, and you're already talking about sequels! XD Yeah, I guess that sucks. So wait, the dad put her name as "anonymous" s nobody could find out the identity of the author? Cooooool.

on Oct. 17 2011 at 8:38 am
poetry.is.beast GOLD, Topeka, Kansas

"Just keep swimming." -Dory!

Well dang. I really want to read thiiis!! I may recomend (excuse my spelling) Thirteen Reasons Why, the author of which I don't know...but apparently it's quite good and deals with suicide, the next worse teen issue after drugs.

on Oct. 16 2011 at 9:09 pm
Miki-chan BRONZE, Waynesboro, Mississippi

Don't screw with Crazy.

There isn't going to be a second one. The girl was real, and her father found it, changed her name, and got it published. Sad, isn't it?

soldout said...
on Oct. 4 2011 at 2:13 pm
lol i have a ton of hw too, but i think i'll find time to read it.  and hey, drugs were never the sunshiney rainbow type of thing, were they?

on Oct. 3 2011 at 9:25 pm
raggedyanarchy PLATINUM, Jackson, Mississippi
yeah! it was awesome. I'm goinhg to read it again, if i ever get this history homework finished...but i will say that it is not for the faint of heart.

soldout said...
on Oct. 3 2011 at 8:00 pm
but even though yu picked it up just because yu needde some way to pass the time, it ended up being a good book, huh? because i want to read it soon...

on Oct. 3 2011 at 7:44 pm
actually, i spent most of yesterday reading it. I found myself in Barnes and Nobles at like 8:30 p.m. with money to kill, and there it was, and i couldn't resist. It was really good! i cant wait to go get the second one