Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

JessieBecker said...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:21 am
i really want to read this. multiple people have suggested it to me.

BriBear replied...
oh man u rly should. its a eye opener

mindymax said...

i really did like the book, it told you the truth about drugs head-on , and the character didnt sound like a hypocrite she talked about its extreme experience of free will and 'fun' i cant lie and say i wasnt tempted, did anyone else got a weird 70's or late 70's feel to this book? like how she called the cops

'the fuzz' love that

any-hoosers, great job;D

Forever13 said...
I didn't really connect because I have never done drugs. I caan't relate to the feelings she was having. Like the confusion on who she was.

booksareemysanctuary said...
My class is actually reading this book. i finished it already and i loved the book. it was sad though. great review!

wickedswangoose said...
May 10, 2010 at 10:42 am
Go Ask Alice is a fantastic book. It's dark and twisted and just the kind of book I love to read. You can almost feel everything that she goes through while you read.

frnkplss55 said...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 11:48 am
I never read the book, and my mother thinks that it might be a dangerous book to read. But your final point of why we people should read this book, maybe I'll just have to read it.

agsmiley888 said...
i read this book years ago and i agree with you i think that this helped get through middle school and is helping me get through hs, because o know what to expect

OnTheSurface This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i read this book earlier this year....i fell in love with it. its based on a true story.

OnTheSurface This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
and her name is never accualy mentioned....but she says she feels Llike Alice, from Alice in Wonderland .

SickImage replied...

Definatly not a true story.

Sorry :(

DearFalcon12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Actually, it says right on the back of the book: based on a true story.

so...there. It IS a true story.

SickImage replied...
If you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

Peace420 said...
This was a good read, although the "diary" is not real.

BriBear replied...
hmmmm.... i thought it was??

Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The one thing I really didn't like about this book was that I didn't get at all emotionally attached to the character because her problems were silly and I felt no emotional connection to her and her death caused me no sorrow.

Mollie K. replied...
I’m confused what was silly about her problems?

Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 10, 2010 at 12:36 am
They aren't memorable enough for me to recall.

i_am_nobody said...
i recently read this book and was immediatly cought up in it. but u did get some of the details wrong

Kimmikko3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think the book was really good at first then it started to get boring because it was repeating her being clean and happy to her getting back into drugs and being depressed

Myshella said...
They made me read this at school It didnt really stand out in any way to me, it wasnt great and it was creepy.