Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

Bella5506 said...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 9:43 am:
i love you wrote this. I read this book and I loved it! It definitly changed my outlook on drugs and the life of a drug addict. It also helped realize that even teenagers back then have the same insecurities as we do today.  Really great review!! keep writing!

Wolfen said...
This story was inspiered by a song called "White Rabbit" with the same words as the title "Go Ask Alice".

SickImage replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm :

Hooray for Jefferson Airplane!

White Rabbit is such an amazing song. :)

CHEERspirit said...
i love how you wrote this. i read this book a while back and it really changed my view on life. i think you are right to tell people to read it and to write about it beacuse your going to help alot of people that want to feel loved and respected. keep it up.

1234 said...
We don't know the main character's name, because it was never mentioned.  She also does not have straight hair, she straightens it

BriBear said...
this is a wonderful review... it was wierd how i stumbled across this book. it was the before 6th grade and i was at my moms friends house and her daughter gave me this book to read..... i went home and finished it in one day.. thats how interesting it was. and trust me i dont read uninstereting book... :) :( i was extra sad during this book. it made me cry a lil and i rly did feel like i knew her. if u liked this book u should read all of the diarys 

broken_red_wagon said...
Go Ask Alice really should be a book you should be required to read in high school, if not junior high, to show people how drugs really are detrimental to your life.

futurerousseau replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm :
I'm sorry, but not all drugs are detrimental. Do you remember how free & alive the girl in the book felt? It was the fact that certain drugs are addictive that makes drugs detrimental to a person's life. Do you remember the scene, late in the book, when some people give her Marijuana and she says it must be home grown because it was weak and didn't do anything for her? Not all drugs are bad. I saw a documentary about medical marijuana and how it improved a man's life - I don't remember the c... (more »)

dustybrowneyes said...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 1:25 am:
i know i rented it last year and my mom just bought it 4 me, im reading it 4 the 1,000 time (9th time acturaly)

menike_neko said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 11:07 am:
I loved this book and hated it. I wanted to keep reading but it suddenly felt like I knew her and I could'nt keep reading how her life ended.  I know people like this and how its not just any book this is real.

EmiLund replied...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:30 am :

i one hundred percent freaking agree. 

heppychick05 said...
I read Go Ask Alice a couple of months ago and was hooked once I started reading I loved it. It's a great read and in a way informing you sortof the dangers and consequences of drugs. I think it's amazing, and one of my favorite books!

JessieBecker said...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 10:21 am:
i really want to read this. multiple people have suggested it to me.

BriBear replied...
Sept. 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm :
oh man u rly should. its a eye opener

mindymax said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm:

i really did like the book, it told you the truth about drugs head-on , and the character didnt sound like a hypocrite she talked about its extreme experience of free will and 'fun' i cant lie and say i wasnt tempted, did anyone else got a weird 70's or late 70's feel to this book? like how she called the cops

'the fuzz' love that

any-hoosers, great job;D

Forever13 said...
May 10, 2010 at 8:49 pm:
I didn't really connect because I have never done drugs. I caan't relate to the feelings she was having. Like the confusion on who she was.

booksareemysanctuary said...
May 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm:
My class is actually reading this book. i finished it already and i loved the book. it was sad though. great review!

wickedswangoose said...
May 10, 2010 at 10:42 am:
Go Ask Alice is a fantastic book. It's dark and twisted and just the kind of book I love to read. You can almost feel everything that she goes through while you read.

frnkplss55 said...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 11:48 am:
I never read the book, and my mother thinks that it might be a dangerous book to read. But your final point of why we people should read this book, maybe I'll just have to read it.

agsmiley888 said...
i read this book years ago and i agree with you i think that this helped get through middle school and is helping me get through hs, because o know what to expect