Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

Maryann K. said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:28 am
I think one of the saddest things about this is that in the begining, Alice was happy and it seemed like she could actually succeed in her goal if she tried. But then the plot just got sadder and sadder, and then abruptly happy again.

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really enjoyed this book. It had me reading the whole thing in one night. "It Happened to Nancy" is similar to this. It is really good also

Lizzy12 said...
Great book!

vampluv11 said...
i always pass this book in the bookstore, but never really seemed interested in it. now i'll pick it up next time! excellent review.

jbradford96 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 3:24 am
I was in the play :D
The book is awesome too!
Great review!

DeAnWiNcHeStEr♥ said...
i have not read this book, yet, it sounds interesting i know who the author is though, its the author of crank glass burned identical and impulse i have read all of those except for burned, but this book seems really good, like a wake up call for anyone that thinks they are cool for doing whatt ey do but really it isn't at least to me. i think i will give this book a try because i have likeed everything else this author has written.

Jenny replied...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:18 am
it is not the same author whose name is ellen hopkins by the way this book is over 25 years old and for all of you who say it is not actually a dairy is wrong it is and the dairy was written well over 35 years ago vocabulary was different back then so thats why it doesnt always sound like a kids writting great review

Isaac C. said...
this book was simply amazing. i never wanted to once set it down.
it kind of slaps you in the face too. makes you open your eyes and whatnot.
good job on your review!

chrissy.bear said...
i loved this book. you did an amazing jod writing this review!!