Daddy's Womb | Teen Ink

Daddy's Womb MAG

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

DaretoDream said...
Hello Carl. I'm not positive on why others were making such a big deal on the lower case "i" in your poem. Quite honestly, I believe it really goes with the whole being a child aspect of the poem. But then again, that is only my opinion. Either way, you did an excellent job on this peice!

sing4ever94 said...
I really liked your poem! It was very interesting to read and it conveyed a significant idea. I personally didn't notice any grammar issues because i think that the poem kept my attention! GREAT WORK!

crich897 said...
Yeah, Jared, I suppose you're right. Except... wait! There are so many inconsistensies! He didn't do it on purpose.

This poem is a typical teenage poem. Most people our age can relate to this poem because when we believe we're ready to grow up, it takes our parents a little bit longer although they try and be supportive towards us. Good Job !

Jared said...
Hey I just wanted everyone to know about the grammar part. It doesn't matter how bad the grammar is, maybe he wanted it to be that way. It's poetry people. You can write it however you want. There is no wrong or write. It's whatever the writer chooses to write. That's it. Anyways very nice poem.

dule_91 said...
those who have remarks about your grammar usually write so incorrectly in their comments so I guess it's easy to criticize the others and I'd suggest them all work on their own grammar.

Great work!!!

btw check out my story: TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/65417/Restless-soul/

puppyluvr132 said...
This is a good poem, but the lack of grammar takes away from it.

crich897 said...
I have already commented this piece once, but there was something else I wanted to hit on real fast. Everyone is saying "Oh I love the uncapitalized "i"s and the capitalized "Father"! Well, uh, take another look. There are capitalized "I"s. No, they are not in strategic places. It was all a screwup.

Maybe there is some significance to the whole "birdie" thing. No one knows the true message an poet attempts to convey, they can only guess.

Carl, would you mind giving me your opinion on my poem?

TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/64458/Porcelain-Doll

Thank you! Keep up the nice work. You are raising much conversation among the writers here.

cold125 said...
I think that the general idea of your poem was good, but the each stanza seemed to have a different emotion. Maybe thats what you were going for or maybe not. It also seemed to me that your diction was a little bad. Might this have been from you forming an innocent character. The title is very moving, but i do not believe the poem is strong enough to support your title. Overall it could have been better, but still well written and i like your use of repetition.

classmate said...
on Nov. 26 2008 at 1:57 am
I love how people leave comments about grammar, but have grammatical errors in their comments. Anyway, this is an awesome poem. I understand the intent behind the uncapitalized "i". I would capitalize the word "father" in the first line of the first stanza in order to be consistent. There maybe a reason why it's not, but I don't get why from the poem alone. Also, lines 3 and 4 in the third stanza seem to be a popular target for attack, but I like it. The word "birdie" helps emphasize the poem's persona.

on Nov. 26 2008 at 1:17 am
I love this. the capitalization, and lack there of, totally adds to it. the metaphor was somewhat confusing, but the end made it pretty clear. i agree with the bit about emily dickinson - maybe just the way you talked about the Sea. anyways, good job =)

emma8 said...
Ok Im gonna have to be honest... I LOVE this poem!! I understand you grammar, the meaning...its just all around awesome. It definitely deserves to be doing to well.

hugluvr said...
this poem had a go idea but i really couldnt fallow it. really the only parts i felt were good is the 1st and last stanza everything eles... isnt that good

Azure14 said...
This poem seems to be so inconsistent and has a bad rhythm. There seems to be several unconnected themes and mixed messages.

DesertFlower said...
on Nov. 24 2008 at 3:51 am
How is this poem back at the top? Read The Reaping!!!

Er, not trying to be rude, but I really didn't like this poem. It wasn't horrible, but there wasn't anything striking about it, there was nothing that just left me in awe. I am not saying that it is a bad poem, I just don't think it is partcularly interesting. Sorry...

poemgirl217 said...
on Nov. 22 2008 at 1:49 am
this poem was inspireing. it was like i was acctually right next to you and watching you experience this moment in life as i read through you words. all i can say is keep writing.

crich897 said...
I honestly don't like this at all. For one, the structure is completely off. There is more to good writing than development of ideas (by the way, where is the development?). It seems all you have here is a mix of different feelings or themes. I suppose the people giving such praise to this piece of work are kids who have had restrictive fathers. Identifying with people, also, is not enough. What in the world is up with the "birdie"? It is completely irrelevent and underdeveloped. Lastly, you use the word "ground" to complete three different rhymes. After speculation, I highly doubt that this is to complete any kind of thought. It seems you could think of nothing else. A simple synonym (or even antonym could work in some cases!) dictionary would be very helpful to you.

Now. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. Which I know I probably do. But there are so many areas you could explore with just this one poem. So many different takes you could go with - this could truly turn into a few great pieces of work. Just be sure to know what you're saying, first. Because if you don't, we can't. "Daddy's Womb" could be a great title for something. But not this. There is something special inside of you - I can tell from this work. Don't settle for this. I know you got a lot of praise on it; but I guarantee you that this would go nowhere as is. Develop these seperate ideas and really work with your line breaks and form. This will be great.

Ryan said...
on Nov. 19 2008 at 12:34 am
The rhyme structure was very subtle, and I liked that. However, you seemed to struggle with it a bit. Birdie, really? I loved the first stanza, and maybe would have made that the full poem, as it concisely states your idea in really interesting language, the rest is just fluff really.