Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

SomeoneOnTheInternetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 9, 2015 at 9:26 am
I absolutely love this poem, so meaningful, but not morbid

debasreeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love how this poem is childlike but meaningful :)))) you are goals

onlygirl2939 said...
Dec. 7, 2015 at 11:29 am
i love this and you are great

Ninrz said...
Amazing Work! ^.^

CharleyHeelisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 30, 2015 at 7:51 am
Please can you check out my piece called Fire or Ice everyone thanks! xoxo

wizadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 30, 2015 at 11:20 am
you should look up the poem fire and ice on google

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Seems very sad... Congratulations on your success!

KirikaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 24, 2015 at 7:48 am
that was a really nice poem n.n that part when the child ask the father if they can fly, then the father says "sure" im just like "bruh, hes gonna flop and drown in the water" but then the son lands on the ground cause of the chain and were just like "when our parents don't let us dream" ^^;

Whiskers7151 said...
Nov. 19, 2015 at 10:13 am
This is a really powerful piece. Thank you for sharing it with us!

WanderingCoyote said...
I'm going to read this aloud for my writing club. You've got talent and the symbolism in this piece is astonishing.

InkCatcherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love the symbolic meaning in your words of pushing back on society and on the people that will hold on to chains pulling you back.

tayfreeman. said...
This is so well written! I love how there is a little bit of rhyme but it is not childish or forced! I also love the message and imagery!

waish said...
this is my one of the favorite poem so good love it and if you have a second please see my stuff thankyou TeenInk.com/poetry/song_lyrics/article/836213/Your-Smile/

M.G.CauslyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow....thats really deep. the end when you said, "i saw my Father pull on a chain,then i knew that i was bound." just shows the lengths parents will go to snuff our dreams...wow...great job! it really spoke to me!

jala2018 said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 11:55 am
This is real poetry, the words flow very beautifully and it has imagery. "I asked my father if I could swim, and he said I would drown". I think she's asking to be in the real world and her farther said she would drown because the world is a mean and dangerous place.

alaylanorthern said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 11:53 am
I love this poem because I understand how she is feeling, and it has a deep meaning. I had to read it a couple of times, and then I finally understood it was amazing and meaningful. “So I walked out to the water, And cried out – how ’bout now!”

bunny31 said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 11:44 am
The poem is a great lesson of being able to do what others say you cannot. The son asked his father if he could swim and says his reply was “I would drown. The Sea would imprison me – he said if my feet had left the ground”, but the son still goes out deep into the water and thrives, and I like that this poem foreshadows the lesson.

ItsTimeToBeginThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
One of the things I love most is the tone. It's kind of casual, making it relatable, but it also seems to have this deeper meaning too about the hope and disappointment which comes with dreams.

alissagraves said...
This poem is so relatable. I love how you were basically saying no matter how hard someone can try to do what they wanted someone was always there preventing them from doing it. I’m a teenager, and often there are people that feel the need to hold me back, so I can relate. The poem says, “I asked my Father if I could fly, he said, sure, Son- go try. I jumped as high as I could. Still, I landed on the ground. I saw my Father pull on a chain, then I knew that I was pound.” I love this becaus... (more »)

kristiannrenee_ said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 11:26 am
I like this poem because it says, “I asked my father if I could fly, and he said, sure, Son-go try.” I can relate to this because my dad is also my main protector. He encourages me to take chances, and if I don’t succeed his is still always right there to catch me.