New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Forgotten Stories

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

Social Media

Yeah, texting is the "cool" thing that nobody can live without, right? Have to Tweet so you freinds know exactly how long you brushed your teeth? Well, that is certainly what the majority of modern teens (and some "kidults") certainly think. Well, I am going to go out on a limb and be the outcast of that group. I am officially pronouncing modern communication as overrated. I mean, yes, I do admittedly have a phone myself, but it is a pay as you go and I hardly ever use it. I send about one text every three days. But, that is nothing compared to the things that modern society has done nowdays.

Social networking is the face of "cool", tring to have freinds that you have never met before from across the world. People advertise social networking as the new way to communicate with others across the world. Yes, I have been caught up in the fascination of having a ton of freinds from all over the place. It makes me feel cool. But, if I think about it, it is not necessary to have all of those freinds. I don't have a MySpace or Facebook, but I do have a Gaia. Yes, I do have 60 freinds. But really, I only "hang out" with 5 or so through Gaia. And I do consider them real freinds. I know it is not necessary for me to have the other 55 or so "freinds" on my account. At least that is not as bad as some other people.

Aslo, cell phones are very ironic. They are advertised as a new way to communicate to people. But, I have been on the low end of the "communication" before. I have been carrying a face to face converstaion with someone, but then all of the sudden they whip out there phone and start texting. Yeah, awkward silence right there. Real communication goes right out the window as soon as the phone vibrates. Real communication is substituted for virtual communication. Just my opinion, though.

Also, phones are way too expensive. The phones themselves cost up to a few hundred dollars. Andthe plans are ridiculous. Whoever invented the idea of a phone plan must be rich, because those things are money eaters. There is a song by one of my all time favorite bands, Relient K, called "Maintain Conciousness". There is a line in it: We just want more and more and more, until it is all we can afford. Well, that would fit perfectly with some of these phone plans.

Also, phones do cause safety problems as it has been proven. We all know them, so I will not reiterate them here. I fully support Oprah's no phone zone, and would take the pledge myself if I was on her show.

Now, I know I really did not have a style in this opinion, but I just wanted to get my point across and make a statement. I must have sounded like a was rambling on, but this is my opinion and I fully support it. I know some people will disagree with me, but I like being the outcast rebel who makes his opinion known. Now, I hope others will agree with me. Maybe, if we stand, we will create the next trend.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

Marie said...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:00 pm:
I love this book. It is very descriptive and interesting. I dont think I have ever know someone that has died in their own birthday   WOWW!!!!!!!! ;)

satellite23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:46 pm :
Haha thanks! This si just a collection of short stories and poems that I submitted to TeenInk but never really became famous. Im glad you liked them!