The Forgotten Stories

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Shadows of My Imagination

I wake up in the comfort of a soft bed, refreshed from a night of fairy-tale dreams that only my imagination could concoct. The sweet-sounding song of a bird harmonizes with the ticklish rays of sun that have penetrated the blockade of threes and invaded my room. I wake up to a beautiful summer morning.

As I lay still in my bed, I ask myself, "What shall I do today? The construction men will surely kick me out of the house so they can repair the roof. So, what shall I do today? It would be a waste to squander the day."

I glance at a pile of junk in the corner of the room. A cardboard box and a piece of wood lie there, coming from the roof repair.

I sigh, "What shall I do today?"

The song of the bird stops as my careless eyes hazily wander around the room. They stop on a dancing shadow that is illuminated by the invading rays of sun. I watch as a great story unfolds on the wall across from me.

A brave soldier, armed shield and sword, rises from the cluster of shadowy warriors and raises his weapon. With silent execution, he swiftly beheads every member of the surrounding crowd, leaving a giant pile of bodies on the ground.

The breeze hits my hair and the giant mass becomes a large dragon who is hungry for the soldier. A harsh battle ensues. The dragon is victorious and triumphs over the fallen executioner.

The executioner and the dragon transform with the blowing trees. The soldier becomes a bird and the dragon a snake. The wall becomes a giant field upon which the shadows play a game of Hunter and Prey. The bird catches the snake in its beak and deliberately turns to face me.

Another gust of wind changes the animals into an elderly man with a viper-like mustache. His lips open and close with the wind. A silent voice, only as loud as I wanted it to be, fills the room with incomprehensible words.

I become Simon and fall into the shadow of the Lord of the Flies. I whisper to it, "What shall I do today?"

The head speaks once more, but all I hear is the wind. Suddenly, the man and his mustache become the soldier and his sword once again.

The soldier, with a glint in his eye, faces me and raises his weapon. We stare each other down for a brief moment. Suddenly, a gust of wind fills the room and the soldier thrusts his sword towards my neck and I snap awake. The shadow disappears.

I stare at where the shadow was dancing just a moment ago. Suddenly, I know what I am going to do today.

I walk over to the wood and cardboard. I pick them up as the shield and sword. I know what I'm going to do today. I am going to be a soldier, a dragon, a Hunter and his Prey, the Lord of the Flies, and anything else my imagination will take me.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Marie said...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:00 pm:
I love this book. It is very descriptive and interesting. I dont think I have ever know someone that has died in their own birthday   WOWW!!!!!!!! ;)

satellite23 replied...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:46 pm :
Haha thanks! This si just a collection of short stories and poems that I submitted to TeenInk but never really became famous. Im glad you liked them!