“Hello, Good Friend” | Teen Ink

“Hello, Good Friend” MAG

Using elements of pop, rock, and even musical theater, Bryce Avery, the one-man band that is The Rocket Summer, crafts an emotional and energetic album that amazes and entertains. Avery pairs his creative lyrics with a mix of melodies to produce a sound that is both unique and worth hearing. His beautiful voice is the final perfect element of his music, and adds to the emotion.

Throughout the album, Avery articulates his confusion and conflict. “Brat Pack” shows that while he and his friends have had some good moments in his small town, Bryce feels trapped. He sings, “I don’t want to get stuck in here/When I am 34, just talkin’ ’bout high school years.”

Bryce also sings to his wife, Tara, and about his struggle to find faith. While his lyrics include sadness and anger, there is an overwhelming overtone of joy in life. His happiness will make even the saddest person want to get up and dance.

This is an album of growth and discovery. “Hello, Good Friend” is a very clear example of what one person with the ability to write songs and make music can produce. This album is a compelling and remarkable piece of art that is sure to leave you with a smile.