University of Richmond Review | Teen Ink

University of Richmond Review

By c123 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
c123 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

University of Richmond is a private university located in Richmond, Virginia. It is set in a secluded, suburban area. However, somehow there is not a sense of being closed-off while on campus. This university is also a mere six miles from downtown Richmond, which presents many job opportunities for students. This smaller private school has an undergraduate population of 3,164 and 726 graduate students. Some may see this small population as a disadvantage but this allows for a personal one-on-one connection to professors. This is made possible by the student to teacher ratio of 8:1.

Not to fear, even at a smaller school, there are still an abundance of majors, minors, and concentrations to choose from, including over 100 selections. There is also no pressure to have your major determined by the start of your freshman year, and it is actually encouraged to wait until your sophomore year to declare one. A unique feature of the University of Richmond is that it is a very selective school with an acceptance rate of only 28%. This allows the school to have a unique and more selective experience than a less competitive school with a much higher acceptance rate. While its small size may seem like a reason for some to count out Richmond as an option, instead, this allows the school to be more prestigious and desired. Richmond’s low acceptance rate guarantees the school’s credibility. 

This university has a special feature offered to all students called the “Richmond guarantee”. The Richmond guarantee gives all students the opportunity to receive a fellowship of up to $5,000 for a summer internship or research project. Richmond strives to help students not only in college, but outside of college and even after college. Their goal is to give students this opportunity to help them when they are on the hunt for a job. You will not find this unique guarantee at other schools.  

Richmond’s campus does not feel like a small school. The buildings are gorgeous with both a modern and classic feel. The insides of each building were unique and advanced, while the outside had the beautiful classic red brick you would expect at college. Each and every building has a special feature to it, and as you walk through the campus, you are guaranteed to be more impressed  with each step. The campus has the perfect sense of community with both a homey and college feel that evenly balances each other out. 

Private universities definitely have some perks to them, and there’s something at Richmond for everyone. For starters, all students have the opportunity to have a car on campus starting in  their freshman year; this is not an option at most colleges. There is also no rule saying that you have to live on campus for any of your four years attending Richmond. There are multitudes of options to choose from such as apartments, dorms, Greek housing, and more. There are 17 varsity sports and 32 club sports offered, with even more student organizations to get involved with. After the tour, I had the opportunity to personally talk with some of the students. I was a little unsure whether or not this university was truly an option for me. They were able to successfully and clearly explain the school and reassure me that Richmond would be a great choice for me. They voiced their love of the school and how wonderful the experience could be if I attended Richmond. Personally, I was blown away with their efforts to be supportive and kind to a prospective student. 

Overall, the University of Richmond is a small private school with an abundance of school spirit and community. The school never once felt small and would be perfect for someone looking to attend a school with a sense of home that is  not too big or overwhelming. The school is very competitive, but don’t let this stop you from applying and considering it as  your perfect fit. This college has a multitude of opportunities for each and every one of the students who are fortunate enough to attend the University of Richmond.