Black is Beauty | Teen Ink

Black is Beauty

March 4, 2019
By kbohn BRONZE, Ohio, Ohio
kbohn BRONZE, Ohio, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “Black is Beauty,” written by Shenell L. Birmingham, talks about being the color black and all of the disadvantages to it. Her writing left me wondering why do people dislike the color black. In the article she states, “When I was a child, the most popular doll was a white Barbie doll that was the toy everyone desired.” It’s sad that to this day people still decimate against colored people. While I was reading the whole article, it was talking about how no one wanted to play with the black dolls because they were considered ugly. She also stated, “Why can I be pretty?” It’s terrible to believe that colored people don’t feel pretty because of their skin color but, they could be an amazing person but since their color of skin people decimate them. Which that is something that they cannot change and that probably makes them disappointed because they can’t change their skin color. Also, people don’t like them because they are too loud and obnoxious but, that’s not the case some may be but other no so they should not be treated like nobody because people say things about them. Colored people should not feel singled out for their skin color. She states, “We are all human.” Which I truly believe that statement because we are all children of God.