The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Jun. 22 2011 at 10:45 am
RiverSong BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
And after reading Gathering Blue, read The Messenger.  It explains what happened to Jonas even further.  I happen to love all three of the books.

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
on Jun. 15 2011 at 6:25 pm
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

It is a deep, unique and amazing book- that is the problem. It is confusing unless you invest every word deeply. Then, you can understand the true meaning. I respect your opinion, of course. We all are, but just a thought. Nice revieeeeew!   =D

on Jun. 14 2011 at 10:47 am
willowwriter GOLD, Rogers, Arkansas

"no matter who you are, where you come from, or where you are going, you are always loved"

I for one adore The Giver. It has a message that you must look deep to find

Bumbleshree said...
on Jun. 13 2011 at 8:08 pm
Think of it like this- every book has an ending. Lois Lowry went out of the box and one day you'll appreciate it.

on Jun. 13 2011 at 1:34 pm
Hippiealien SILVER, Fair Oaks, California

A Idea and a number 2 pencil can take you anywhere.

this book was great,and not at all predictable. Sure,it would be nice to know the end lol but I did enjoy it and it was a interesting story plot.

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:51 pm
rubyrainstorm SILVER, Closter, New Jersey

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
-Buddha.

I disagree with "The Giver SUCKS 093." Even though you are entitled to your opinion, please do not speak of lois Lowry in such a demeaning way. I happen to think the Giver was an amazing book. Please respect that.

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:49 pm

-Buddha.

Agreed  

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:48 pm

-Buddha.

OMG LOOOVE LOVE LOVE TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:48 pm

-Buddha.

As for where Jonas went, read Gathering Blue. It kinda answers that question.

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:47 pm

-Buddha.

Its almost impossible to predict that that would happen...so either you're psychic, or you're lying...I totally disagree, I read this book over 3 years ago, and I still love it and continue rereading it. I was enticed by how appealing the world Jonas lived in was...and if you're unsatisfied with the ending and have questions about it, read Gathering Blue. It kind of answers where Jonas went.

on Jun. 7 2011 at 9:50 pm
Kwigggggg BRONZE, Newmarket, Other

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

I dissagree with you, the book was in no way predictible, and the ending was ambiguious. It left me thinking about it for days the first time I read it 4 years ago, and I read it again this year and fell in love with it all over again. It is a beautifully written novel and has so many greater implications within it. I think that every time I read it, I will take something different from it, and it's sure to be one of my favourites for years!

on Jun. 3 2011 at 8:49 am
K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

I loved it.

on Jun. 2 2011 at 11:51 am
BandGeek BRONZE, Lyman, Maine
I loved this book too! And I read it about three years ago! I'm thinking about reading it again now....:)

on Jun. 1 2011 at 11:55 am
Fangstorm_The_Vampire GOLD, Tehachapi, California

It's a bird!
It's a midget!
NO. it's...... EDWARD ELRIC.

Yeah I read this when I was ten. It is a great book, and now I am twelve, and still appreciate it.

on May. 31 2011 at 6:04 pm
Alyssalicious BRONZE, Whittier, California

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are one."
~JK Rowling

I agree! It was a good introduction for me into classic literature for an eighth grade Honors English class. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger, but now that I understand the symbolism and political connections, it was a really good book, even though the ending was short.

on May. 31 2011 at 4:08 pm

It's a bird!
It's a midget!
NO. it's...... EDWARD ELRIC.

I loved this book! It was not predictable, and it was pleasant and meaningful.

on May. 31 2011 at 12:43 pm
spagooter PLATINUM, Indianapolis, Indiana
I just don't think you're mature enough understand the political symbolizm and the surreal beauty of it all. This is a heavy book. It's not at all predictable, and it completely genius and thought-provoking. 

on May. 28 2011 at 9:36 pm
Insert_Username_Here BRONZE, Griffin, Georgia

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."--Kurt Cobain

i agree. We read it for our literature class and we were left a little confused at the end. But it was really good. (:

on May. 20 2011 at 11:29 am
glinda123 BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

I loved this book! It is somewhat depressing, but shows that human nature will remain the same even when conditions are bad. The article would have been more effective if you had given reasons why you didn't like it, instead of just repeating yourself that it was terrible, you didn't like it, etc.

KitKat94 GOLD said...
on May. 11 2011 at 1:46 pm
KitKat94 GOLD, Anchorage, Alaska

"The power of words is not in how they work, what they mean, or even how they are put together. It is in their unique ability to communicate and to create a lasting impression through which they make a real impression."

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I know that it is an unpopular opinion (even among people that like the book), but I thought the ending was necessary.  In a sense it was the way that the book had to end.  The real merit behind the book is that is makes you think.

I can see how some people could just not like it, that is okay; some of the better stories in the world are the more controversial ones.  Dystopia books can often throw people for a loop.  It is uncomforatble for people to imagine the less wholesome parts of human nature, and that sometimes makes people feel alienated.  Still, I like the fact that it causes you to think about everything.  What is the cost of paradise?  Are you willing to pay it?