The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Wordfisher said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 1:25 pm
Wordfisher, Vancouver, Washington
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the titles. I am going to my library soon and I will check them out!

Wordfisher said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 1:24 pm
Wordfisher, Vancouver, Washington
What are they called? I would love to read them!

Wordfisher said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 1:23 pm
Wordfisher, Vancouver, Washington
Same here, this was one of my favorite books ever. It did leave me hanging, but that's sorta why I liked it.

pitt98 GOLD said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 11:28 am
pitt98 GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"It's not the days in life we remember, rather the moments." 
- Walt Disney

Great comment, i agree with you.

on Dec. 24 2011 at 1:07 pm
Mothra7687 BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan

"Don't try to live your life in one day." - Howard Jones

I read this book a while back, and I honestly have to disagree with your point that this book is a terrible one. Its a great piece of liturature in my opinion, with a message that lies not in the action. It had me hooked throughout the entire story, and is much better than some other books I have read. this book is absolutely worth reading.

on Dec. 16 2011 at 11:56 pm
DarkMountain BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

My eyes feel so heavy when the stars are calling me
- Join with us eternally -
I'm falling in deep trance and my powers are weakening
I'm falling in a world between dreams and reality
... I'm sailing away to undiscovered seas...
Oh time...

If you read this book solely for action and thrills, you WILL be disappointed (except in a few spots). As much as anything this book is a social commentary- its worth lies in the political, social, and humanitarian implications. If you are bored or confused while reading this book you are reading it wrong.

on Dec. 15 2011 at 7:26 pm
onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
I read that book too, and it really wasn't that good.

Emerson BRONZE said...
on Dec. 15 2011 at 6:06 am
Emerson BRONZE, Fort Mill, South Carolina

"If you wanna live big, Do it"

i put it on my top 5 as well.

Emerson BRONZE said...
on Dec. 15 2011 at 6:06 am

"If you wanna live big, Do it"

i read this book and i loved it. it has a lot of substance in it that many don't appreciat though... he has sequel books to this, read them and see if you like them, as i did.

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:58 pm
AmbrehhhsArt BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois

I live for the day where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

Honestly, I wasn't enthusiastic to read this book, but I'm glad I did. I agree, it has it's slow points but when it picks up, it's amazing. I love this book. It's honestly one of my favorite books.

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:08 pm
WaffleManThing, Vallejo, California

"just keep swimming..." by dory. :)

true that!

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:07 pm
WaffleManThing, Vallejo, California

"just keep swimming..." by dory. :)

did u like it though?

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:04 pm
WaffleManThing, Vallejo, California

"just keep swimming..." by dory. :)

this is a great book and u who does not think so! read the comments people loved this book i have it in my top 5 :)

Inadaze said...
on Dec. 2 2011 at 4:52 pm
Gathering blue and then The Messenger! And yes, there is sooo much more to the story:)

on Dec. 1 2011 at 10:59 pm
AFreeSpirit97 GOLD, Dallas, Oregon

"He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words." -Elbert Hubbard

There's more to the story?? I never knew that! Which came after the Giver, first, Gathering Blue, or The Messenger?

Thanks for telling!

on Nov. 23 2011 at 5:56 pm
hannahmunchy BRONZE, Williamstown, Massachusetts

"They say the sky's the limit, but there are footsteps on the moon"
"Dancing is like dreaming with your feet"

Are you kidding?! This book was incredible!!!! It is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. (see my profile). I loved it--the writing was phenomenal, and the story was the most creative, innovative, and moving that I have ever read. I strongly disagree with the author of this review.

inadaze said...
on Nov. 23 2011 at 12:10 am
You MUST read the other two sequels. Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Ties it all up!

MargaretM.. said...
on Nov. 22 2011 at 11:31 pm
MargaretM.., Windsor, Iowa

There is a curve called Failure, a loop called Confusion, speed bumps called Friends, red lights called Enemies, caution lights called Family. You will have flats called Jobs. But, if you have a spare called Determination, an engine called Perseverance, insurance called Faith, a driver called Jesus, you will make it to a place called Success.

I LOVE THIS BOOk! We were assigned in school the cover l;ooks so boring for a 7th grader to read but i loved it.It looks boring but you have to concentrate or yoou'll get confused.It about a world where it has never seen snowed and  everybody sees in black and white and they don't make their own choices.Except the giver who sees color and knows the knowledge of the world, which is the job the main charcater is assigned.

on Nov. 22 2011 at 1:41 pm
TheInvisibleGirl BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The price we pay for love is loss
-Next to Normal

I have to say that I completely disagree with your opinion.  Of course, everyone does get their own opinion, but I think that you had to broaden your imagination and views to be able to get the book deply enough to like it.

ALthough I did hate the ending, but I kinda loved it.  I just feel like Lowry was done wrting it and wanted it to be over by then.

Gathering Blue the sequel (maybe the prequel) was so amazing though!

on Nov. 10 2011 at 6:35 pm
writer101 BRONZE, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania

Slowly but shurly.

I read this book as part of a class.To understand it you have to dig deeper in to the meaning of the book.Like any good book you read the author does not just tell you what it is about you have to figure the meaning behind the book yourself.I liked the book and found that it had manny meanings behind it.