The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

spagooter PLATINUM, Indianapolis, Indiana
I just don't think you're mature enough understand the political symbolizm and the surreal beauty of it all. This is a heavy book. It's not at all predictable, and it completely genius and thought-provoking. 

Insert_Username_Here BRONZE, Griffin, Georgia

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."--Kurt Cobain

i agree. We read it for our literature class and we were left a little confused at the end. But it was really good. (:

on May. 20 2011 at 11:29 am
glinda123 BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

I loved this book! It is somewhat depressing, but shows that human nature will remain the same even when conditions are bad. The article would have been more effective if you had given reasons why you didn't like it, instead of just repeating yourself that it was terrible, you didn't like it, etc.

KitKat94 GOLD said...
KitKat94 GOLD, Anchorage, Alaska

"The power of words is not in how they work, what they mean, or even how they are put together. It is in their unique ability to communicate and to create a lasting impression through which they make a real impression."

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I know that it is an unpopular opinion (even among people that like the book), but I thought the ending was necessary.  In a sense it was the way that the book had to end.  The real merit behind the book is that is makes you think.

I can see how some people could just not like it, that is okay; some of the better stories in the world are the more controversial ones.  Dystopia books can often throw people for a loop.  It is uncomforatble for people to imagine the less wholesome parts of human nature, and that sometimes makes people feel alienated.  Still, I like the fact that it causes you to think about everything.  What is the cost of paradise?  Are you willing to pay it?

jamikim BRONZE said...
jamikim BRONZE, Sterling, Illinois

the only thing holding yourself back is you.

i thought the same. the whole point in the ending of this book is to make up your own ending. you have to chose weater he dies, finds a new town that celbrated christmas, or he went in a circle and thats what happened when the memories returned. of corse, i read it in my class so the teacher explained the book. i think it was a good book.

on May. 9 2011 at 11:32 am
SElisabeth BRONZE, Desert Hot Springs, California

Look, what envious streaks do lace the severing clouds in younder east! Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day stands tip-toe on the misty mountain-tops.
-Shakespeare

Uh, this book was amazing, in my opinion. Sure, the ending left me a little confused, but overall, I thought it was fantastically creative.

writerthinkerdreamer BRONZE, Narnia, Massachusetts

"Just keep swimming," ~Dory, Finding Nemo

This book was amazing... it's like my sixth fave book of all time, besides to kill a mockingbird.

katy said...
it was good you should read it!

I had to read this book for school. I think it is a pretty interesting book. I think that you have to understand the book and what it is about. If you don't understand it you are not going to like it. I am not saying that the person that wrote this review didn't understand it and maybe they truly didn't like it but I don't think that it is that bad to tell people not to read it. You have to put yourself into Jonas' shoes and you have to try to visualize the characters and what is actually going on in the book. If you read the first chapter and decide it is the worst book ever then stop reading it. If you try to finish it with it set in your mind that the book is bad then you will hate it all the way through. You have to keep an open mind about the situations in the book. I personally like this book and because this is a futuristic book, you kind of have to wonder if anything in this book will ever happen or is happening now.

brownie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 11:55 am
hey hey people so i love this book so ya ut ill put more info later kk bye

brownie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 11:44 am
Ok yes i agree with you littlebird but you at least have gotta liked it a little bit and ya he did nothing for the kid but at least he took the kid so he wouldnt have gotten released and also i loved the book im not trying to be ruied or enything but we all have our opinions so thats my opinion so ya well if you have any opinions for me just find me on the top of every opinion kk!!!!!!!!Brownie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:22 am
ya i agree with u melinda i mean my thought or opinion was that the town was phsyco and that the reciver of memory was just going to stick with his job!!!!! Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):)

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:17 am
hey wat school do u go 2 and ya it more fun if your reading with some 1 or even in school so ya and if you wantto look meh up just go to the top of the comments k im cookie!!!!!!!:):):):) Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:14 am
Hey also i love this book cuz it has some wierd parts but hey who doesnt like wierd? So all im saying is u got 2 read it!!!!!:):):):):) Love cookie!!!!

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:07 am
Hey i love this book but if you never heardof it or read it you should cuz every1 i know LOVES it

on Apr. 22 2011 at 9:01 am
The Giver was one of the best books I have ever read. I will admit that it had some boring parts but other than that it was awesome

highflyer101 BRONZE, Old Greenwich, Connecticut
I think that the Giver can be boring when you're reading it on your own, but in a real class, there are actually lots f interesting hidden metaphors that are worth deciphering! I hope you read some other book you liked, though!

ShannonLaDieu SILVER, Waycross, Georgia

The best part of beauty is that no picture can express- Loren blake Chosen House of Night serise
mee-uf-ow!- Nala(Zoey's Cat) House of night Books
since when has public making-out become a turn-on for you?- Zoey Redbird

Even thought the book is really slow at the start. It really dose improve throught out the book. I liked how ms.Lowry kept us wondering what was goin on. Once I started this book I couldnt put it down.

KaitlynMarie GOLD, Northborough, Massachusetts

"I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be."
-Nicholas Sparks

I feel the same way, I thought the book was not the best and expected much more from it. But a lot of the time in the book it was enjoyable to read and had it's deal of suspense. It could go either way for me, but I really enjoyed reading your article! 

on Apr. 17 2011 at 8:18 am
xXsharellieXx BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

"I would die whithout books."-Thomas Jefferson

This seems really weird to me, because I loved this book and thought it was, maybe one of the BEST things I have ever read. I understand that you are just being honest to your thoughts on the book but you should really consider reading it again. I think the fact that you didn't like it clouded your judgment, just a little.