The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

jamikim BRONZE said...
on May. 9 2011 at 6:02 pm
jamikim BRONZE, Sterling, Illinois

the only thing holding yourself back is you.

i thought the same. the whole point in the ending of this book is to make up your own ending. you have to chose weater he dies, finds a new town that celbrated christmas, or he went in a circle and thats what happened when the memories returned. of corse, i read it in my class so the teacher explained the book. i think it was a good book.

on May. 9 2011 at 11:32 am
SElisabeth BRONZE, Desert Hot Springs, California

Look, what envious streaks do lace the severing clouds in younder east! Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day stands tip-toe on the misty mountain-tops.
-Shakespeare

Uh, this book was amazing, in my opinion. Sure, the ending left me a little confused, but overall, I thought it was fantastically creative.

on Apr. 29 2011 at 9:17 pm
writerthinkerdreamer BRONZE, Narnia, Massachusetts

"Just keep swimming," ~Dory, Finding Nemo

This book was amazing... it's like my sixth fave book of all time, besides to kill a mockingbird.

katy said...
on Apr. 27 2011 at 5:49 pm
it was good you should read it!

on Apr. 25 2011 at 3:18 pm
I had to read this book for school. I think it is a pretty interesting book. I think that you have to understand the book and what it is about. If you don't understand it you are not going to like it. I am not saying that the person that wrote this review didn't understand it and maybe they truly didn't like it but I don't think that it is that bad to tell people not to read it. You have to put yourself into Jonas' shoes and you have to try to visualize the characters and what is actually going on in the book. If you read the first chapter and decide it is the worst book ever then stop reading it. If you try to finish it with it set in your mind that the book is bad then you will hate it all the way through. You have to keep an open mind about the situations in the book. I personally like this book and because this is a futuristic book, you kind of have to wonder if anything in this book will ever happen or is happening now.

brownie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 11:55 am
hey hey people so i love this book so ya ut ill put more info later kk bye

brownie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 11:44 am
Ok yes i agree with you littlebird but you at least have gotta liked it a little bit and ya he did nothing for the kid but at least he took the kid so he wouldnt have gotten released and also i loved the book im not trying to be ruied or enything but we all have our opinions so thats my opinion so ya well if you have any opinions for me just find me on the top of every opinion kk!!!!!!!!Brownie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:22 am
ya i agree with u melinda i mean my thought or opinion was that the town was phsyco and that the reciver of memory was just going to stick with his job!!!!! Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):)

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:17 am
hey wat school do u go 2 and ya it more fun if your reading with some 1 or even in school so ya and if you wantto look meh up just go to the top of the comments k im cookie!!!!!!!:):):):) Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:14 am
Hey also i love this book cuz it has some wierd parts but hey who doesnt like wierd? So all im saying is u got 2 read it!!!!!:):):):):) Love cookie!!!!

cookie said...
on Apr. 23 2011 at 10:07 am
Hey i love this book but if you never heardof it or read it you should cuz every1 i know LOVES it

on Apr. 22 2011 at 9:01 am
The Giver was one of the best books I have ever read. I will admit that it had some boring parts but other than that it was awesome

on Apr. 19 2011 at 9:22 pm
highflyer101 BRONZE, Old Greenwich, Connecticut
I think that the Giver can be boring when you're reading it on your own, but in a real class, there are actually lots f interesting hidden metaphors that are worth deciphering! I hope you read some other book you liked, though!

on Apr. 19 2011 at 12:34 pm
ShannonLaDieu SILVER, Waycross, Georgia

The best part of beauty is that no picture can express- Loren blake Chosen House of Night serise
mee-uf-ow!- Nala(Zoey's Cat) House of night Books
since when has public making-out become a turn-on for you?- Zoey Redbird

Even thought the book is really slow at the start. It really dose improve throught out the book. I liked how ms.Lowry kept us wondering what was goin on. Once I started this book I couldnt put it down.

on Apr. 17 2011 at 5:12 pm
KaitlynMarie GOLD, Northborough, Massachusetts

"I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be."
-Nicholas Sparks

I feel the same way, I thought the book was not the best and expected much more from it. But a lot of the time in the book it was enjoyable to read and had it's deal of suspense. It could go either way for me, but I really enjoyed reading your article! 

on Apr. 17 2011 at 8:18 am
xXsharellieXx BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

"I would die whithout books."-Thomas Jefferson

This seems really weird to me, because I loved this book and thought it was, maybe one of the BEST things I have ever read. I understand that you are just being honest to your thoughts on the book but you should really consider reading it again. I think the fact that you didn't like it clouded your judgment, just a little.

on Apr. 14 2011 at 10:33 pm
littlebird BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

"The worse life gets the closer you are to your happy ending," by unknown.

Ok im not going to say i liked the book because i didn't but Jonas does NOT leave everything for the child. He left to give memory, joy, feelings, color, personality, and identity back to the citizens and return it back to the way it was before samness. Yes, he took the kid with him because he would've gotten released but that is not the real reason. It was just a more reason to go.

on Apr. 10 2011 at 10:09 pm
ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

I actually loved this book.  I thought it was very original and emotional, but we all have our opinions.

on Apr. 3 2011 at 1:45 am
Melinda Myers, Carnation, Washington
I think that there are mixed feelings about this book, as the previous comments show! Lois Lowry has an interesting way of going about this topic. I thought that the book was a little bit bland, but thenI tried to imagine not having the things that the Giver shows Jonas. What would it really be like to live in an environment without any colors? Or no sunshine?

on Mar. 26 2011 at 12:48 pm
awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

Hahaha i can't say I haven't felt that way about one or two books that I've had to read in school, but I do think that' s a little harsh. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I won't say that you're wrong or that the author of this review is wrong, but books don't get Newbury Medals or become classics because they suck. Though there are cons (as there are to all books), The Giver deserves some credit for its complete originality. Even if you think you could write something better, I have a hard time believng that you could have come up with a storyline so out there, provacitive, and unique to Lowry's "The Giver."