The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Costa said...
on Sep. 18 2011 at 11:19 pm
Costa, Ellsworth, Iowa

When I grow up I want to be a rainbow. That way I can be any color I want and still be me. ~Me

I agree. We read this for English in 8th grade and we had to do a project fo it. I decided to write another chapter explaining what happened to Jonas and Gabriel

Taintedlove said...
on Sep. 18 2011 at 10:35 pm
Taintedlove, Hell, Georgia

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
— Edgar Allan Poe

This book was absoulutly beyond amazing. I can see close-minded people not liking it because their agraid of what is happening to society, but if you like it or not if we don't change our choices made in the goverment thats what is left to happen for genrations before someone has the guts to speak up and leave this horrible community.

on Sep. 18 2011 at 4:45 am
AyeshaMuzaffar BRONZE, Lahore, Other
I couldn't disagree more. I read this book 3 times and every time I felt an urge to read it again and that's a good thing.

Jessica112 said...
on Sep. 3 2011 at 5:49 pm
I agree! This was an awesome book!

WritersSpark said...
on Aug. 16 2011 at 8:15 pm
I read the Giver unopenedly (and maybe a bit unwillingly) as a project for school and was actually a bit surprised by its outcome. First of all, L.L was very creative and brave on the storyline, which I commend her for that, and she also opened my eyes brighter in the catagory of science fiction. At first the Giver did NOT appeal to me (from the dull grey cover of a bearded man to the vage description) but after getting into it, I became eager to enter the doors of 5th period English. As a fellow writer, the ending was my favorite part, and I dont mean that in a bad way. I will try not to spoil it but I liked how she made us ponder about what happened next and let our brains inspire us to think of a last sentence. My class even got into a fight between two possible answers and we didnt talk to eachother untill the next week. Over All I would give this book about 4 stars. (:

bridget1 said...
on Jul. 24 2011 at 4:47 pm
bridget1, Green Cove Springs, Florida
I competely agree that it was about being grateful for our world. I also think the author was trying to convey to the reader how important it is to be unique and at least a little different than everyone else rather than trying to be the same.

Krystal27 said...
on Jul. 22 2011 at 7:22 am
"The Giver," it's themes and the choices made by the society disturbed me deeply, so much so I even told people at work about it. For society to make a choice to opt for "sameness" and take it to the extents they had... I can't say I enjoyed The Giver but I can appreciate it for what it was. I felt some backstory would have been nice, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the last chapter (the moment his "father" says Gabriele is being released, and onwards) but ending was brave and thought provoking and left me full of questions, a refreshing change from the norm.

I LIKE PIE said...
on Jul. 8 2011 at 1:44 pm
I thimk you were expecting it to be a 'event book', but really, The Giver wasn't about what happened; it was about the ideas the author had about our world. It was a book about how great our world is and how we should be greatful.

kewlbeans41 said...
on Jul. 2 2011 at 4:40 pm
i totally disagree wit the writer of this review. i loved the giver and pratically spent all nite reading it and while its not fastpased its still well written. i think that lois lowry is a damn good author.

on Jun. 26 2011 at 8:17 pm
abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

I'm in a completely different boat!  I've read the giver multiple times and it has left me a lot to ponder over.  It may not be an action-packed book, but it still meets the standards of intersting

rockyraccoon said...
on Jun. 26 2011 at 12:47 am
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

I disagree this book while not exactly fast paced was still quite interesting and also this book was fairly original no hoverboards or flying cars and such.

on Jun. 25 2011 at 1:27 pm
RhythmAndRhyme BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan

"There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." ~~Josh Groban

I totally and completely disagree with you and this whole article. The book is extremely well written, in my eyes, and is quite the cautionary tale. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it as much as you could have, and I wish you would give it a second chance...maybe read it again, but with new eyes! Try to find the good things in it as you sweep over each line, the things other people might like about a book like this.

caitieb said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 8:33 am
caitieb, Quincy, Indiana
The giver was amazing and well plotted maybe its too politically educating

on Jun. 24 2011 at 5:22 pm
I must say I completely disagree with everything said in this article.

on Jun. 22 2011 at 10:38 pm
queennels17 PLATINUM, Wellington, Florida

The sun is out but it's still dark outside.

I disagree a lot actually!!!!! This book was amazing i've read it about 5 times and i was still amazed at how an author can come up with a story like this. But i respect your opinion. 

on Jun. 22 2011 at 9:30 pm
anna_banana BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent- Eleanor Roosevelt

I guess so. And I have to respect that opinon I guess... 

on Jun. 22 2011 at 8:40 pm
firelord SILVER, Queensbury, New York

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

I read The Giver a couple of times, and thought is t was good. You have to just understand what it's going for. I can't explain it, maybe some just like it better than others :)

on Jun. 22 2011 at 4:44 pm

I also disagreed. i read this for summer reading for school, and LOVED it. in fact, it opened up my intrest in dystopias and dystopian is now my favorite genre. i was a beautiful book, even though i took a while to get into. does anyone know if there's a sequel?

on Jun. 22 2011 at 1:42 pm
DreamingOurWorld GOLD, Irvine, California
Your review was very short. Maybe you could expand a little bit? I read the book and I loved it. You never really gave us reasons for why it was so bad. Maybe then, I could understand your point of view, but until then, I really don't understand why you don't like The Giver. It was a beautiful book, and I fell in love with it the first time I picked it up.

on Jun. 22 2011 at 10:45 am
RiverSong BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
And after reading Gathering Blue, read The Messenger.  It explains what happened to Jonas even further.  I happen to love all three of the books.