Friday Night Lights Through My Eyes | Teen Ink

Friday Night Lights Through My Eyes

June 6, 2021
By Solomon-McDaniel BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Solomon-McDaniel BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a fellow football player, Friday Night lights is something you dream about while growing up. As a kid you don’t think of these high schoolers as kids, you see them as big awesome football players, but as time passes we become those big guys playing under the lights that seemed so big growing up. But are the lights too big for some high school kids? This is a question that Bissinger implies throughout the book, and I agree that the Friday night high school lights are not the biggest lights you will see. There's way beyond football, and especially high school football, but I am just speaking for myself. Bissinger speaks for those like Bobbie Miles who blew out his knee and was never the same and Brian Chavez who was a successful football player but an even more successful man off the field.

Friday Night Lights is a book based in Odessa, Texas in 1988 at Permian High School, a football school like most schools in Texas. Bissinger, the Philadelphia native moved himself and his family to Odessa to document the high school football team as they strived to win a championship. He chose the high Permian because of the rich football culture they have created, little did he know that behind the scenes and fake faces there were battles being fought with things like anxiety, alcoholism, and money issues. As a football player at Permian football, you always came first, which is crazy considering they weren’t pros, but that's just how football is in Texas.

Mojo is Permian football it means to give your 110% at all times on the football field. And for Bobbie Miles, Ivory Christian, Brian Chavez, Don Billingsley, Jerrod Mcdougal and Mike Winchell they lived up to this and were considered the Mojo of the team. Brian Chavez brought Mojo on and off the field. He was valedictorian and attended Harvard University. Despite having a successful high school career, he, like myself, understood that football is a big part of life but it only lasts for so long. Some longer than others of course. like Ivory Christian who received a Division 1 college offer. The other players fell short of the dream due to many things you see today. It is crazy to think about how much things have changed in the world, and yet some things never do, and this is just one of those things. “This is the last minute of your life.” (Bissinger 326) this quote is from a senior player at Permian that is saying that once your Permian football career is over you have nothing to look forward to in life. That could seem crazy to a normal person but to me, it almost felt like I was there listening to him say it. This book felt like a preview of the next few years to come, good and bad. And that's what kept me reading. 

I believe that young adults who like football need to read this book because it is something real that most people would not understand. Things like the favoritism we receive which I don’t mind but it happens, and the fronts us young adults put on for the love of the game. I strongly believe that Bissinger wanted people like me to read this book because someday it could be a reality whether it is a D1 scholarship, or an opportunity to outlive the past like most of the kids in the book do. Bissinger wanted to show reality and that is what a lot of people including myself needed. I would encourage everyone from the ages 12 and up to read because something this real is not meant for kids.