Hanging By a Moment | Teen Ink

Hanging By a Moment

By Tokeho BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri
Tokeho BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix

Author's note: I used alot of basic events that have happened in my life as inspiration for the love and events in this story.

Everyone had been doing a lot of thinking now that summer was over. No more late nights and weekday parties. As for Anna, she could no longer sneak out to see the love of her life. Little did he know she spent those nights walking a mile by herself in the hopes she would fall asleep in his arms and awaken in the same place. Most summer nights they just stayed up watching old Disney movies and hanging out. He was always too close that she couldn’t get herself to touch him like she wanted to. Anna Schmitz didn’t know if she would ever make that one crucial movement; lightly caressing his beautiful, clean shaven face. That might be all it took, even easier than having to explain the feelings she’s been hiding from him for close to 8 years.
Within those eight years, Anna and Dalton had both done incredible amounts of growing up. She got taller, thinner, more filled out. As for him, he just kept getting more breathtakingly attractive as time went on. Being pretty was a goal to some, even a hobby. Girls wasting hours shopping and thousands of dollars on clothes to be thrown in an oversized closet that may not be worn even once. Beauty to Anna was a natural born gift she didn’t accept lightly. She despised the attention nearly as much as she despised her own body. Always being told how lucky and pretty you are didn’t make matters any better when you’re a girl that isn’t comfortable in the skin she was born in, and when you go home every day to a drunken father who agrees and tells you how unappreciated you are before putting you down just so he can prove it to you for good measure.
Anna had so much on her mind that first day of school, she almost forgot the Mountain Dew she had stashed in her refrigerator for her best friend. She ran back inside to grab it before strolling to the front seat of her sister’s silver Mitsubishi. Renee was three years older and drop dead gorgeous. But Renee also had the backbone to do things Anna wouldn’t dream of. Like telling the guy she liked how she felt. She and Matt have now been dating close to two and a half years.
Anna and even with high school nerves bashing around in her head on the way to school, she couldn’t keep herself from imagining seeing him once they finally got to school. Whether he knew what he meant to her or not, she was gracious to have a guy like him as her best friend.
Anna followed behind Renee into the school, catching wind of her PINK SplashTM perfume. She’d been to the school before for some of her sister’s dance and choir performances. It all seemed immensely bigger when she was the one trying to find someone she knew and could talk to so she wouldn’t be attached to her sister like a lost puppy.
“Hey Dalton,” She called when she saw him walking toward the staircase, “Wait up!” He turned around and flipped his blonde hair, covering his slightly large adorable ears and flashed Anna his perfect, expensive white teeth. It was obvious he had grown more just since the last time they saw each other because he towered at least five inches over the top of your head.
“Hey beautiful.” He said with the same smile plastered on his face and practically looking down at her. “What do you have first hour?”
“World history with Turner. What do you have?”
“Body conditioning. I know we have Technology and Algebra together though.”
“Awesome. Ready to be fresh meat?”
He laughed and Anna felt warm inside. “Speak for yourself; I could pass for a junior if I tried.” He ruffled her hair. “You on the other hand, are much too short.”
“Just because you’re extremely tall doesn’t mean I’m short! For a freshman girl I’m pretty tall.”
“I know, I’m just givin’ you trouble.” He said, messing up her hair again. The bell echoed through the commons and all 2,500 kids strolled off in search of their first hour class. “Time to start our high school careers.” He stated with false enthusiasm.
“I’m thrilled. I’ll see you later.” He nodded and turned on his heels in the direction of the East Wing staircase. “Oh!” she remembered, pulling the Mountain Dew from her bag.
He turned around, “Yeah?”
She handed him the soda. “Have a good first day.”
He picked her up in a hug and lightly set her back on the ground. “You’re the best. Text me, okay?”
“Will do.” She walked away knowing if he knew how she felt, every time they went their opposite ways in the hall there’s a chance she would be able to kiss him goodbye. She refused to let her daily Dalton fantasies distract her, partly because she was already lost, wandering through the hallways.

As the hours drug by and new faces blurred past, Anna stressed the subject. It almost made her angry that she didn’t have the gut to tell him that whenever they were together she had a constantly fast beating heart, “their” song playing on repeat in her head, and a stomach full of butterflies. As she felt goose bumps creep onto her arms after catching the draft from an opened side door, Renee pulled her to the side of the hall near some lockers.

“Hey, how ya hanging’ in there?” Renee asked.

“Pretty good. There’s a hell of a lot of people here!” Anna replied.

“You get used to it. It is a lot smaller than it seems on your first day.”

“I figured. Have you seen Dalton yet today?”

“Yeah, he came up and said hi to me and Matt earlier.” Renee thought for a second before pushing Anna a little, like she did every time Dalton was brought up.

“Don’t, Ray.” Already knowing her sister was going to attempt being Cupid, like she always did.

Renee grabbed the sides of both Anna’s arms. “Come on! Your best friends, your both cute and you can barely survive without texting each other like every 5 minutes! Just go for it and see what happens! What’s the worst possible thing that could happen other than you guys living happily ever after?”

“Um, let’s see us no longer being friends, him hating me, me being in the middle of telling him how I feel then projectile vomiting all over him as a result of nervousness. Pick a scenario Ray; it’s bound to be worst if it’s none of those.”
Renee rolled her eyes. “You’re being so over-dramatic. You will never know what could be if you keep rolling through life with that attitude.”
Anna shrugged, waved and headed off as the not quite loud enough bell rang in warning.

Dalton Taber had gone through middle school with the looks of a future underwear model. His sexy deep voice, long and broad arms, and knee trembling charm could make the most uptight of girls turn to soft putty in his hands. Anna had been suffering from this curse for years and still didn’t have the umph she needed to throw the “I love you” bomb on him. Homecoming wasn’t far away, she thought about asking him to go as her date, not just her friend, but if he thought it would be better to go as friends or if he had another date, she would be mortified.

As she turned the corner to algebra, she drug her brand new jet black Converse across the checkered floor. She opened the door and entered to find out everyone else in the class was already clicking with other students and standing around in little groups with friends we have all known since before grade school, and those that we had no idea about. It didn’t take her long to find Dalton. He was sitting alone in the front of the class copying the daily bell schedule off the white board. She went and sat next to him.

“First day of school and you have nothing better to do then take notes.” Anna said to him with a sarcastic smile.”

“They aren’t even notes, smart ass. It’s the class times. I like being able to count down the minutes I have left ‘til I can bolt for the door.”

“That’s a great motive to get through school.”

He shrugged. “As long as I’m here every day and doing something, whatever I have to do to make it through is worth it. I’m not gonna get a football scholarship coming to school half the year.”

“Why are you so worried about grades lately?”

“Football. I have to keep a 3.0 to stay on the JV team.”

“Oh, of course. I forgot Mr. All-star.” She said with a white and shiny smile.”
Mr. Matheson walked into the room and interrupted their conversation just as the bell rang through the rooms.

“Please take your seats and get friendly with those around you. It’s going to be a long year so we are all going to get along in here.” He announced blandly to the class.

Anna got up and sat in the third row behind an ugly girl in red and in front of a jock whose name she didn’t know and could care less about. As the class seemed to take hours and hours as they reviewed multiplying and simplifying square roots and decimals. When the bell finally rang and they were able to leave the dreaded Algebra classroom, Dalton came up behind her.

“Want to have some fun?” He asked in a hushed tone.

“I guess it depends.” She said in a partly worried voice.

“Put your bags down.”

“Why?”

“Just do it!”

“Okay, okay.” Anna set her things down on a seat in the freshman hallway. As she did Dalton stepped in front of her. “What are you doing?” She asked laughing as he crouched down.

“Get on my back.” He said with a grin.

“No!” She shouted at him. “Are you crazy?”
“I guess so. Just do it! Please?”

“Oh my God… Dalton you’re insane!” She shook her head disapprovingly as she hopped on to his back.

“Yeehaw!” He screamed as he ran down the halls with her bouncing on his back. Anna smiled and laughed hysterically as her best friend galloped down the lengthy white hallway decorated with inspirational quotes and posters, with her on his back. Everyone stared at them and pointed fingers as they laughed along with them. But the fun was interrupted when the principal turned down the hall.

“What in the world do you children think you are doing?” Scolded Mr. Taylor, the school’s new head principal. He must have stood at least 6”6 and his dark eyes and skin mixed with the anger made him quite intimidating to not only them, but all of the other people standing a few feet away.

“We were just having fun; it’s been a tough first day. Won’t happen again, sir. ” Dalton tried to explain as he and Anna both sank quite and he set her back on the ground.

“You bet it won’t happen again! This is a place for learning, not fun.”He yelled as all the bystanders of the charade scurried into different directions. “This is a haven of education, not a place for you to act like animals in a zoo. Now both of you off to your next class and I will see you after school for detention. I’d give you warnings seeing as though it’s the first day, but that was clearly not school appropriate.”

As the two friends hurried down the halls they giggled as they thought about what just happened while Dalton scrunched up his face and imitated their angry principal. “This is a haven of education!” They kept imitating. When they got out of their last hour class they stalled near the lockers and bathroom until they reported to the library to do their detention time. Sitting in a library doing homework in complete silence for one hour after school is never something Anna has had to endure. Since it was only the first day of school, she and Dalton were the only ones serving detention. She was trying to contain herself and just get the whole ordeal over with, so when he started making funny faces across the room she tried not to giggle and get herself in even more trouble. When they were finally released to go home, she let out a burst of laughter and walked away.

When it was raining, Anna walked. She had no place to go and nothing to do, except ravish in the cool breeze, feeling water droplets pelt her warm, tanned skin. But to her, nothing was as perfect as the snow falling. Piling up inch after inch until you can’t even exit your house anymore, giving her an excuse to make a fire, heat up hot chocolate and enjoy herself. To Anna Schmitz, the falling snow on a cool winter night was the most romantic thing in the world. She lived for nights like that.

As she walked, fairly soaked in the dripping rain, she thought more about him. As far back as her memory would take her, Anna remembered Dalton and his crushes. In his entire life, he had never once had a girlfriend. This surprised not only Anna, but also everyone else. He was incredible, not to mention good looking. But always single. He went to dances and school functions alone. Even when there were parties on the weekend he would attend them by himself, if not with Anna. But she never accompanied him as his date, just his friend.

“I think we have talked it before,” she began asking during lunch the next week at school, “but why haven’t you ever have a girlfriend?”

Dalton shrugged. “Because I don’t see a point in dating if it isn’t going anywhere.”

“So you just aren’t going to date until you are ready to marry someone?” Anna asked a little puzzled.

“There is so far one person I would even bother with. And I still don’t see a point.”

“Who are you talking about?”

“Jessica Simpson.” He said jokingly with a dumb smile.

“You are such a loser.” Anna replied, wishing her name would’ve porn out of his glossy lips. She would have done anything to be his.

When the weekend finally arrived, they had made plans to go see a new horror movie together. She was leaving school on her way to his mother’s car that was practically blinding it was so sparkly, her pocket vibrated. As she reached in her dark denim jeans to retrieve her phone, Dalton beeped his mom’s car horn at her to hurry up. She looked down and the caller ID told her “Dad” was calling. She answered hesitantly because she knew that the night before had been another one of his drunken episodes and she never felt comfortable around him after it happened.

“Hi dad.” She said quietly.

“Where are you?” He asked rudely, ignoring her greeting.

“I’m going to the movies with Dalton and his mom. I already told you that.” She tried to say in a flat tone so he wouldn’t accuse her of back talk.

“We need to talk when you get back.” He then hung up the phone.
Anna could almost immediately guess what she was to expect when she arrived back at her house. She reminds herself that dad behaves around others, so when she got inside she would invite Dalton and his mother in for drinks and snacks after the movie. Dalton can almost always tell whenever Anna’s dad has been drinking so he usually does his best to protect her and stand up for her when he can. He hated Anna’s father, and once even threatened to tell someone that the abuse was going on. But Anna convinced him it was alright, and not to tell anyone.

After the movie, which was much too gory for Anna’s liking, they retreated back to the black Road-Runner and proceeded towards the house. From the backseat of the car, Anna texted Dalton who was seated in the front.
Anna: Dads only one home and already hanging with Jack, come inside for a little?
Dalton spun around to look at Anna with desperate, scared eyes before he replied.
Dalton: We hve 2 go pck up my dad from a business dinner, im so srry. Anna…
Anna: ill b fine, I just wnted to see if u could.
Dalton: Is it bad?
Anna: He sounded already pretty out of it on the phone.
Dalton: Anna it doesn’t hve to b like this anymor.
Anna: It’s going to be fine.
Dalton: U always say tht. Then u show me the bruises. It’s nevr ok.
Anna: Don’t worry please. I’m trying not 2. I’ll call u if it gets bad.
Dalton: Promise?
Anna: Promise.

As they pulled into Anna’s driveway the usual shaking began. Her whole body became tense and her heart was racing. She locked eyes with Dalton who mouthed the words “be careful”. She nodded, said thank you to Mrs. Taber and headed for the door.

Anna’s dad was part of a teaching program that traveled around the country and taught mechanics and engineering to navy officers, so he made good money. Her mother was a doctor at one of the largest hospitals in the state of Montana. Their house was 3 stories not including the basement and attic. It was painted white with solid glass windows covering the entire back of the house. There was also a 7 foot deep pool underneath a cloud of beige colored gazebos with a diving board and slide attached. Overall, it was most teenage girls’ dream life. Walk in closet full of designer apparel, thanks to her mom’s custom shopping trips, big house with successful parents, and a pretty girl that quickly climbed her way up the popularity chain just like her older sister. The only thing people missed when they saw Anna was the crushed heart underneath all those expensive cashmere sweaters.

When her father was discharged from the navy, he went in sober and came out a cracked out meth head and alcoholic. He kicked his crank habits shortly after, but downed a 30 rack and half a bottle of Jack or Wild Turkey to himself every night. Well, the nights he was home. Anna had her own theories about what he did when he worked so many late nights. Some of her usual suspicions; an affair, maybe he’s leading a double life with a second wife and more kids that her sister and mother didn’t know about either. Or he works as a spy, traveling the world at night and busting the biggest drug deals our world has ever known. Or he is part of gang, out roaming the streets preying on more innocent women than he can find in the comfort of his own home. All possible explanations seemed realistic in Anna’s over dramatic imagination.
Anna slowly crept into the living room to find her father sitting in his chair with a small cup half full of caramel colored booze. He turned as he witnessed her entering the room, set down his cup and stood in front of her. Her father was about 6’4 and very muscular, which was half the reason she couldn’t help but be frightened by him. He stood in front of her for what seemed liked too long, simply rubbing his chin. The anticipation was eating Anna alive from the inside out, and when he finally made communication, he didn’t even talk. Her father pointed to the hallway in which her bedroom was. She then, realized what it was that give him any ammunition to be angry. Anna’s dad told her to clean up her room the previous night if she wanted to go to the movies tonight but instead, she fell asleep studying for an exam she had coming up. As he led her to the room her palms became slippery with sweat. When he entered the room she watched him explode from the inside out.

“I thought I made my instructions very clear for you,” He stated with what seemed like a calmed attitude.

“You did, daddy.” Anna replied obediently.

“Then why were they not followed?” He yelled, picking up a lamp on Anna’s night stand and throwing it against the wall.

“I’m sorry!” She tried getting out without letting herself cry. She struggled to push back the tears.

“Oh, you’re sorry?!” At that instant, her father came across the room, and standing at least a head taller, struck Anna across the face with his right hand. She shrieked and clutched her throbbing cheek with her hands. Before she could make another move, Anna’s father pushed her into the wall she had been previously leaned up against. He grabbed her shoulders and repeatedly shoved her into the drywall.

“Please!” She yelled over sobs and coughs.

He ignored her plea and threw her to the ground. While she was curled in a ball on the ground he walked out of the room as if nothing had happened. Anna waited a few moments before sneaking to the bathroom to check her battle wounds. A red hand print embedded into her face. Also, a blue colored shoulder blade and a large cut on her thigh from a piece of the destroyed lamp. She snuck back to her room and quickly shut and locked the door. Then headed for the dresser.

Anna began cutting herself when the abuse started. For her, it was the only escape; a way to release all she had bottled up inside. No one knew, and even if they did she knows they would think of her as crazy, purely on the fact that she was purposely hurting herself to be happy. The wave of relief she felt when she exposed her own flesh couldn’t make sense in her own mind, let alone someone else’s. As she opened the top drawer of her dresser she removed her razor blade. She sat on her bed, silently shaking; she closed her eyes and pushed the sharp killer to her arm. As she slowly brushed the razor across her arm she didn’t make a sound. For her- this wasn’t pain. It wasn’t pain, but alleviation. She could feel her sobs slowly stop. She felt her heart beat slower. It was perfect for her, but still not enough. She put the razor back to her arm, and she pushed a little harder. For this time, she wanted everything to evaporate. And magically be good again. Anna believed this was the only way.

When out of nowhere, she heard the front door open.

“I’m home!” Her mother called from the foyer.

Anna’s expression turned to ice when she heard her mother setting down her keys and looking for the rest of her family. She had to hide. Hide her arms. Hide the blood. Hide the truth.

Anna threw on a jacket, placed the razor back in the dresser drawer and put the towel covered in her own blood at the top of her closet. Just as she heard her mother coming down the hallway she put on the radio and acted as though she was only reading a magazine.

“Hey momma.” Anna said casually as her mother entered the green and tan striped room.

“Hey sweetie.” Her mom said with a smile. “What are you up to?”

Anna held up her magazine. “Just reading.”

“Got any homework?”

“Nada.”

“Cool. Want to head out for Chinese food? I think your dad left.”

“Yes!” Anna jumped out of bed and slipped on her green flip flops. She followed her mom down to the living room where Anna’s mother grabbed her keys and purse and proceeded out the large, glass door.

They drove down the street as Anna recapped the recent events of the night. She debated telling her mother.

Anna’s mom knew the abuse was going on, she just didn’t know the severity of it. She was under the impression that the abuse was much less intense than it was and that it was mostly directed towards Renee. Even then her mom did not feel obligated to do anything about it because Renee was a strong girl. Anna was always jealous of her for that. But not only was she strong, Renee had Matt.

Matt Greywald was one of the most… indescribable kids at the school. Matt was tall with long black hair. He wore more make up then most of the freshman girls. Matt and Renee had been dating for 4 months. The only problem? Well, her name is Kelsey.

Kelsey Stein went to a Christian academy school for girls. When she was at school, she was perfect. She kept a steady 4.0 since 6th grade and was always on her best behavior. But when she was not in school, she was Killer Kelsey.

Kelsey & Matt had a thing going on since the beginning of their ninth grade year. Things with them were going good until he met Renee. He immediately felt a spark for her. Something he couldn’t explain. It was unlike anything he had ever felt for Kelsey. The only thing he could think of it to be was real, passionate love.

“We’re here.” Anna’s mom said to her as they pulled into the parking lot of their favorite Chinese buffet.

“Yummy!” Anna announced as her flip flops slapped towards the restaurant.

As she and her mother walked around the buffet and filled their plates with food that had names they didn’t know how to pronounce Anna decided what she was going to do about her situation. They found a table next to the ice cream machine and another couple.

“Mom, I have to tell you something.”

Her mom looked at her sort of curiously. “Okay, what is it?”

“Well it’s about things that have been going on at home.” Anna replied silently tapping her finger against the marble table and studying her shrimp friend rice.

“Anna you know you can tell me whatever it is.” Her mother tried to comfort her daughter as they both continued eating.

“It’s about dad.” She hesitated while her mom took a minute to think about her answer.

“Everything okay with you two?” Her mom asked, not quite sure what she would hear from her daughter.

“You know how bad he drinks. Can’t you guess what’s going on?”

“I thought you told me it wasn’t that bad?” She sighed unknowingly, wishing Anna & Renee had told her the truth.

“Well it is. Look.” Anna pulled up her blue band t-shirt to reveal her black and blue shoulder.

Her mother gasped. “Oh, Anna!” Her mom examined her shoulder as she mumbled dirty words about her father as well as letting a single tear escape from the corner of her eye. Anna recapped the night’s events once again, only this time she felt better actually telling someone.

When her and her mom got off the topic of her father, Anna felt relieved. She didn’t even know she was capable of taking everything she had on her own shoulders, and getting rid of it just by being honest with her mother. If only she could tell her everything.

On the drive home Anna was at peace. She felt like she could go home and fall into a deep sleep. As soon as she got into the door of their house she remembered about Dalton. She said she would call if it got bad.

Anna picked up the phone and began to search for his contact when his name came up on her screen. She smiled when she saw the little green light blink “Dalton”.

“Hello?” Anna answered normally.

“What happened?” Dalton somewhat yelled in a curious & worried tone.

“Well, other than a blue shoulder, bloody leg, and pink face I’m fine. I did tell mom though. She said she was going to take care of it. I am actually pretty scared about what he’s going to do though.”

“You are alright though aren’t you?”

“Yea I’m fine. No worries.”

“Oh ya, like I won’t still worry.”

Anna smiled. “Yeah I figured.”

“Alright, well go get some sleep, and I will see you tomorrow at school.”

“Ok, sleep well. Goodnight Dalton.”

“Night Anna. Love you.”

“Love you, too.” Anna clicked off the phone. “I love you so much”. She repeated, even though there wasn’t anyone there to hear her.

As school was becoming less fun and more regular work and between football, homework, student council, and family business, Dalton and Anna didn’t have much time together anymore.

During a class lecture from Anna’s history teacher, her phone vibrated in her pocket. She quickly looked around to see if she was clear, and pulled out her phone.

Dalton: My house tonite for dinner? Mom misses u. So do I. We can pick u up at 6:00?

Anna: I’d love to. ill ask my mom when I get home and then text u.

Dalton: okay 

Already, that made Anna excited to get done with school. She managed through all of her classes and homework before each bell and did her best not to look at any clocks. When she finally got to 7th hour she was ready to go home and pick out something to wear for dinner. She wasn’t sure whether or not to wear something super formal or something decently casual. She was thinking about either or a dress or a nice skirt. She wasn’t too worried, as long as she looked good for Dalton.

When she got home she didn’t see her father’s car there which meant that he was working still. She ran inside to ask her mom about dinner plans.

“Is that you Anna?” Her mother yelled from the living room.

“Yep.” Anna replied and she set down her bag on the hardwood floor.

“How was school? Her mom asked as she removed her reading glasses.

“Not bad. Am I allowed to go to Dalton’s for dinner?”

“I guess so. What time should I take you over?”

“Let me go get ready and I’ll call him and let you know.”

“Okay.”

Anna smiled as she ran up to her room and began rummaging through her closet. At the same time she picked up her phone and dialed Dalton’s number, which she had memorized since the day he got a phone.

“Hey A.” Dalton said as he answered with his usual comforting, smug tone.

“Hey I just wanted to let you know my mom can bring me over whenever.”

“Didn’t I tell you we were gonna pick you up at 6:00?”

Anna slapped her palm against her forehead. Dalton already told her that. “Oh, yeah! Sorry, I must have forgotten. I guess I’ll see you at 6:00 then.”

“I guess you will. See you soon. Oh, and tell your mom I said hi.”

“Okey dokey. Bye Dalton.”

Anna hung up the phone and tossed it onto her bed as she hopped out of the room to the balcony by the stairs.

“Hey, mom?” She called down the quite passageway.

“Yea?” Her mom yelled back at her.

“I forgot that Dalton’s parents are coming to pick me up at 6:00.”

“Are you sure? It’s no trouble if I take you.”

“No, they already offered to.” Anna tapped her foot impatiently as she spoke to her mother because she needed all the time possible to get ready.

“Well, ok. Honey, make sure you wear something that covers your shoulder.”

Anna hadn’t even thought to do that. As she jumped back toward her closets she scanned over dresses, tops, skirts and all other outfits she owned. She eliminated tube tops and spaghetti strap tank tops, as they wouldn’t cover her bruises.

After almost an hour and a half of searching and trying on, Anna finally decided to wear a tight, three-quarter inch black top with clear buttons down the front, and a gray plaid skirt to go with her white high heels. She put on her favorite pucker-berry lip gloss and black mascara covered her thick, curled eye lashes.

As Anna walked down the steps her mom sighed and gave Anna a 10 minute long “You’re growing up so fast” & “Look at my baby girl, all grown up” lecture. It was 5:50 when Anna began worrying about the dinner. She had met Dalton’s parents hundreds of times and was even on a first name basis with them, but something about tonight felt different. To Anna, it felt important.

At 6:03 Dalton and his parents pulled up in their shiny red sports car. Although she saw them pull up through her living room window, she still calmly sat there and waited patiently for one of them to ring the door bell. When Dalton’s father, Jim, did so Anna silently ran and opened the door. After they greeted one another they proceeded to the car and back to the Taber residence.

Almost every time Anna was at Dalton’s house she couldn’t help but gaze at its extravagance. They had one of the most beautiful houses Anna had ever seen in her life. It was the kind of house you would see hidden behind rod iron gates with its own security out front, or on a TV show like MTV CribsTM.

Glass windows and doors flooded light throughout every inch of the house. Pale blue stone stacked neatly upon one another formed the picture perfect castle she was on her way to. The skylight in the middle of the roof showed the moon, stars, and planets clearly through the telescope they had hand-assembled in one of their three living rooms. All four stories of professionally designed rooms, dens and library sparkled clean thanks to their cleaning service that swept through the house every Wednesday evening.

When Mr. Taber pulled into the drive way next to Mrs. Taber’s black Road Runner and Dalton’s future Mustang, Anna automatically felt the same feeling of warmth and comfort as she always did when she was with her second family.

As she unbuckled her seatbelt, Dalton was already out of the car and on his way to Anna’s side of the car.

“Here ya go ma’am,” Dalton said as he opened the car door for Anna, with a goofy yet adorable southern accent.

Anna smiled. “Why thank you. What a gentlemen.” Anna winked and giggled at Dalton’s sense of humor.

The dinner of lasagna and Texas toast was consumed vigorously, thanks to Mrs. Taber's knack for home cooked meals, while Anna and Dalton’s family conversed about trivial matters such as school, friends, and even jobs. Dalton had recently applied to be a secretary at a local animal shelter.

Dalton had wanted to be a vet since he was a kid. He loves animals and has the hands of an angel when it comes to being gentle.

When they were done clearing the table after dinner, Anna and Dalton went to his room to talk before they had desert. She followed him up the large, white winding staircase. She walked down the hall, to the first door on the left. She walked in after him and jumped straight onto his bed.

“Oh my god, I love your house,” Anna said with a grin.

Dalton sat down next to Anna, but had a peculiar look on his face that was unlike his usual, peppy and sarcastic self. “You know I worry about you right?” Dalton asked, avoiding eye contact with Anna.

“Yeah, you always have. Why?” Anna asked, a little unsure of the point he was about to make.

He hesitated before answering her question. Dalton sat on the bed and fingered a small blue string hanging off of his comforter.

“Well, lately I have been thinking about some things…” Dalton still refused to look at Anna, which made her extremely nervous and tense.

“Like what?” Anna asked, trying to sound calm.

“Things like you.” Dalton quickly looked up and shot an unfamiliar glance and Anna before looking back at the string in his hand. “And me.”

Just as Anna was about to ask Dalton what he meant, they were interrupted by footprints pounding up the stairs and barging into the room. It was Mr. Taber.

“Anna,” he said directly as he entered the room. “Come on I’m driving you to the hospital.”

Anna and Dalton exchanged worried looks. Anna stood up and grabbed her jacket off of Dalton’s desk chair. “Why? What’s going on?” She asked, rushing around to gather her purse and other belongings.

“It’s Renee.” Dalton’s father replied, quieter and more relaxed than before.

“No.” Anna sighed and her shoulders sank down. “Is she ok?”

“She will be. She had a drug overdose. They are pumping her stomach right now.”

Tears welled in Anna’s sparkling eyes. She began trying to speak, but Dalton quickly cut her off.

“Don’t worry.” He grabbed her arm and walked her out of the room. “She is going to be just fine.” He continued to rub her arm and talk sweet to her as herself, Dalton, and Jim all climbed into the car.

On the drive to the hospital, Anna allowed herself to cry. She wasn’t sure if Dalton could tell she was doing so or not. She didn’t care. Her big sister almost died; could have died. What would she say to her? How is Renee going to act? What even happened? Dalton knew she was upset as he pulled her in close to his chest and held on to her tightly. She didn’t want to ever leave this moment. Ever move from this spot. She wanted to be this close to him for the rest of her life. Anna hadn’t realized that they arrived at the hospital until Dalton patted her back and told her that they were there. She wiped off her tears, sniffed her nose and climbed out of the car. Anna walked in went straight to the front desk, asked for the room number of Renee Schmitz, and proceeded to the elevators. The receptionist had told Anna that her sister was in the PICU, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, in room 609. On the way up the elevator Anna said not a word, nor did Dalton or his father. They all remained silent as Anna envisioned her sister in a room that had flower wallpaper and clown pictures. She was 18, so why was Renee in Pediatrics? Anna realized she didn’t care when they arrived on the 6th floor and she began scanning the open and closed doors for room numbers. Dalton& his father said they would sit tight in the waiting area and wait to take Anna home. She proceeded on alone. The rooms began at 600. Even numbers on the left, odd on the right. She would be looking on the right side. Room 609. As she neared the open hallway of crying babies and sick toddlers, Anna’s heart began beating faster and faster. 601. She could hear the screams of little kids get louder in her head. 603. Dalton and his father trailed behind Anna, allowing her to go at this alone. 605. She couldn’t imagine what she was going to see. 607. Who else would be in the room? 609. Here she goes. Anna entered the room and found it completely empty. The lights were dim and a re-run of an old western show was on the TV. Anna looked at the bed and saw only a lifeless lump. That was Renee. Her sister was so close, but Anna felt like she had never been farther away from her. “Renee?” Anna asked quietly, still standing in the doorway. Renee’s body slowly turned toward Anna. She smiled. “Hey sissy,” Renee replied. “What are you doing here?” Anna began crying again. “I’m here to see you.” She said through sniffles as she walked over and turned on the lights, to reveal Renee crying as well. Anna let out a stressed laugh. “Why are you crying?” She asked as she headed towards the hospital bed. “Because you are.” Renee smiled. “What happened Renee?” Anna sat down next to her sister. “Me and Matt were at a party. Guess who showed up.” Anna knew exactly who it was. “Kelsey.” Renee nodded. “She wouldn’t stop flirting with him. I got so mad and I wasn’t paying attention. I popped a few too many pills. Everything got fuzzy. Then I was here.” “I’m going to f*ing kill that girl.” Anna said, shaking her head. “What did mom and dad say?” “Dad left for his trip today. Mom said we don’t have to tell him. I’ll be out of here tomorrow and he won’t be home for four or five more days.” Anna forgot her dad went on a business trip to New York. “Was mom angry?” “Of course not. But she did tell me what happened with you and dad a few weeks ago. Why didn’t you tell me?” Renee took Anna’s hand in her own. “I just didn’t want you to have to worry about anything else.” Anna answered. “Anyways, you have to spend the night here?” “Yeah, and my stomach hurts like crazy.” “Want me to stay with you?” “No you can go home. You still have to school tomorrow.” Anna gave her sister the stink eye. “I don’t care. I can make it up. I don’t want you to be lonely.” Renee hesitated for a moment. Then she looked up at her sister with fresh tears in her eyes. “Please stay.” Renee scrambled into Anna’s arms and cried. Anna held her sister and cried right along with her. After about 10 minutes, Anna kissed her sister on the top of the head, tilted her chin up, and looked into her eyes. “I love you,” she said. “Please don’t scare me like this again.” All Renee could do was nod. She wiped away her tears, and her sister’s. Anna told her she was going to have the Taber’s take her back to their house so she could pack an overnight bag. She promised to bring her sister a strawberry smoothie, since she couldn’t eat due to the fact that they recently pumped her stomach. Anna walked out of that room with racing thoughts. How could this happen? Why wasn’t her sister more careful? What should she tell Dalton? Would they still be there waiting for her? As she turned the corner she saw only Dalton in the waiting room making himself a cup of coffee. He looked at her and gave her a shy smile. He set down his plastic cup and embraced Anna. He hugged her tightly for well over a minute before releasing her. Anna told him what had happened on the way down to meet his dad outside in the parking lot. Mr. Taber took Anna back to her house and Dalton came inside with her. Anna walked around her room collecting pajamas, clothes for tomorrow, her book and a few things for Renee to wear so she would stay comfortable. She thought Dalton was in the kitchen getting a drink, but he had made his way upstairs. “Anna.” She turned around to find him standing in the doorway with an unreadable expression on his face. She looked back into his eyes. “What?” He took a step toward her. Anna’s heart began racing. What was he doing? He seemed confused, but sure of himself at the same time. He took another step forward. What was going on? He had never acted like this before. “Anna I have to tell you something.” He took one more step and stopped. “What is it?” “I,” he hesitated to keep eye contact with her. He stared at the floor for almost 30 agonizing seconds before looking up at Anna. Eyes shiny with tears, Dalton spoke the 5 words Anna only dreamed of hearing Dalton say to her. “I’m in love with you.”

Anna was speechless. Was this a dream? She felt her eyes tearing up again. “Dalton..”

Dalton went to Anna, and scooped her up in his arms. And after his embrace, gave Anna the kiss she’d been waiting for, for 8 years.

Anna had no clue how to feel. She finally kissed the only guy she ever loved! Anna couldn’t remember feeling so good about her life. While butterflies turned her stomach upside down, she and Dalton walked hand in hand back out to Jim’s car. Dalton’s father gave them a shy smile in the rear view mirror before starting up the engine.

The three of them went to a small ice cream parlor near the hospital. Anna ordered Renee a large strawberry smoothie, and herself a small vanilla cone. Dalton got a chocolate waffle cone and his father, a banana shake.

When they arrived in front of the hospital, Anna thought to call her mother.

“Hey babe, I just thought about calling.” Her mother said when she answered the phone.

“Hey mom,” Anna replied. “I’m staying the night here with Renee. Where are you?”

“That’s fine with me. I just got back home and unless you guys need me, I think I am going to stay at home, I don’t feel too hot. I will come up there early tomorrow morning though.”

“Sounds good; love you mom.”

“I love you, too. Tell your sister I love her and to be good. Bye.”

Anna clicked off her phone and carried onward with Dalton. When they got to Renee’s room, she looked more like herself. She had combed her hair, turned on the lights and was now watching one of her soap operas.

“One large strawberry smoothie,” Anna said as she gave her sister the cold, pink beverage. Renee clapped her hands together and took a large drink.
All four of them sat there and ate their ice cream while they laughed about Renee’s brain freeze face. Then, Renee motioned for Anna to come closer to her.
“What happened?” Renee whispered in her sister’s ear.
Confused, Anna pulled away to give her sister an odd look. Renee motioned her back.
“You and Dalton keep looking at each other,” Renee began, “and you’ve got this sort of glow to you. Not to mention his knee touching your knee.” She raised her eyebrows and nudged Anna in the side while going “Huh?! Huh..?!”
Anna felt her face reddening. “We will talk later.” She said to her sister before returning to her uncomfortable hospital chair right next to Dalton.
Mr. Taber and Dalton didn’t stay for too much longer. When they were getting ready to leave, Dalton said goodbye to Renee, then grasped Anna in a hug. He whispered in her ear “I’ll call you tomorrow.” Anna nodded and watched them walk out of the room.
“Details, please!” Renee yelled with a giant, needy grin. Anna smiled and ran to Renee’s bed.
“He told me he is in love with me,” Anna said, pink faced and with a smile so big it hurt her cheeks.
Renee’s jaw dropped to the floor. “Oh my God! Ahh!” Anna couldn’t tell if her sister was yelling or cheering. “Anna!” Renee pulled her sister into a hug. “I’m so happy for you; I know how long you’ve been waiting for him.” Renee hesitated and looked into Anna’s eyes. “How do you feel?”
Anna thought about the question for a minute. She still wasn’t sure how she was feeling. Anna was a little overwhelmed by the night’s events. She still couldn’t believe that he kissed her! She couldn’t believe that he loved her. All those years and she believed that Dalton thought of her as only a friend. When this whole time, he thought about her like she thought about him.
Anna’s night was mostly calm after that. Doctors came in about every 30 minutes to check on Renee, switching her IVs, helping her to the bathroom, and checking her vital signs. The sisters actually did a lot of bonding. They talked about Matt and Dalton, school, and their parents. Anna eventually fell asleep on a chair while Renee stayed up watching the movies that Anna brought for her.
Anna awoke the next morning to a furious beeping noise. She looked over at Renee who had a nervous expression on her face. Renee was repeatedly hitting the “Call Nurse” button; but nobody seemed to be coming to her aid.
Anna got up and walked over to Renee’s bed. She tried to figure out what was wrong, but it was all too confusing for her. She was about to leave the room when a nurse finally arrived.
“What is that?” Renee asked the nurse, clearly annoyed.
The nurse pushed a few buttons and the beeping stopped. “Don’t worry,” the nurse began, “You just had an air bubble in your IV. It’s ok now.”
“Ok well,” Renee said folding her arms across her chest before continuing. “Why did it take you so long to come in here?” She raised her eyebrows, awaiting an answer.
The nurse glared at her. She rolled her eyes, gave Renee a fake apology about how there are a lot of patients to maintain, and left the room. Renee waited until the nurse was out of sight and let out a laugh, oozing with accomplishment.
Anna’s mother arrived about an hour after that with clothes for Renee, and breakfast burritos.
“How are you feeling?” Anna’s mother asked Renee. “You look pretty good.” She smiled and left to talk to the nurses. One very tall, blonde nurse dressed in flower patterned scrubs followed their mother back to the room.
“We just want to have one more look at your stomach before releasing you,” the nurse said to Renee.
Renee nodded and climbed into the blue wheelchair the nurses had been transporting her around in and gave a peace sign as she was wheeled from the room.
Not much conversation went on between Anna and her mother during the 25 minutes Renee was getting tested.
When she returned, Renee changed into the clothes she was brought while her mother signed papers.
The three of them left the hospital right as the sun rose. They drove home in silence as they admired the pink and purple sky out of their car windows. As they arrived home, they all remained quiet as they drug themselves to their separate rooms to catch a few more hours of sleep.
Anna woke up to nothing but her own silence. She looked over at her alarm clock just as the little red numbers turned to 2:01pm.
She flipped her blue and black striped comforter off her, stretched, and planted her feet on the solid floor. Anna considered going to check on Renee, but assumed the extreme silence of her house meant that Renee and their mother were still fast asleep.
That’s when Anna recalled the last night’s events:
1-
Her sister almost died.
2-
She kissed the love of her life.
3-
Her dad knew nothing about any of it.

Anna was rummaging through her shirt drawer for something to wear when she heard muffled laughter. Renee, she thought, was most likely on the phone with Matt. She decided to let herself into Renee’s room and as she suspected- It was him on the phone.
“Hey, feeling better?” Anna asked.
“Hold on babe,” Renee giggled into the phone before directing her attention to Anna. “Yea, much.” Her next sentence broke off half way through as a light bulb lit up above her head.
“What?” Anna asked, unaware of the sudden realization Renee had obviously just experienced.
“Let’s go to the pool!” she said to Anna excitedly.
Anna considered the pool. She hadn’t gone since summer and she always ended up getting a good tan.
Anna smirked and nodded. “Yeah,” she said. “Let’s go!”
“Well, ok!” Renee laughed. “Go get dressed and ask if Dalton wants to go. I’ll grab my suit and let mom know.”
Anna left Renee’s room and retrieved her phone from its charger to call Dalton.
It ran just twice before her answered. “Hey beautiful,” he said gently. Anna smiled.
“Good morning. I didn’t wake you did I?” Anna asked while searching for her blue lightning bolt bikini.
“Um, Anna, it’s like 2:00 in the afternoon.” He laughed.
“Oh, yeah. I am so off on my schedule. Well I just wanted to know if you want to go to the pool with me, Renee, and Matt.” She would have to go check the laundry because it was not with the rest of her stringy two-pieces.
“I’d love to!” Dalton said, trying not to sound too excited. “I’ll ask my mom and get back to you in like 20 minutes, kay?”
Anna smiled. “Cool. Talk to you soon.”

“Bye.”
“Anna!” Renee called from down the hall. “I need your help!”
“Ugh!” Anna groaned as she walked back to her sister’s bedroom. She stood in the doorway and saw her sister piling the rest of her bikinis, one-pieces and swim shorts on to the bed.
“Whoa!” Anna said; clearly surprised by the immense amount of bathing suits. “Dude your bed is like the epitome of swimwear!”

Renee laughed. “Help me pick one out. You can wear one too.”

“Ok. Well, both of us are wearing bikinis because we are gonna be around guys.”

“True.” Renee removed the one-pieces and threw them onto the floor. “So Dalton’s coming?”

“He’s calling me back soon,” Anna replied as she picked up a purple string bikini. She held it up to her and looked at Renee for approval.

She shook her head and scanned the bed. Renee picked up a black suit with small, diamond studs lining the bottoms and top.

“Cute.” Anna complimented as she took it and walked into Renee’s bathroom. It was recently painted dark blue with a tan marble counter and large Jacuzzi tub.

Anna removed the green polka dot pajamas he had changed into that morning after arriving back home. and pulled on the top and tied the knot around the neck. Then pulled on the form fitting bottoms that perfectly. When Anna looked in the mirror she was pretty satisfied with the way the suit looked until noticing how much more visible her cuts looked with the amount of bare skin she had showing.

Renee knocked on the door. “How’s it look?”

“Great.” Anna said opening the door.

Renee nodded. “Cute.” She stretched out her arms and did a 360 turn to show off her sexy light blue bikini with a diamond star hanging down from the middle of the cleavage.

“Looks good. But I don’t think it’s revealing enough.” Anna said sarcastically, recognizing the lack of fabric on the bottoms. Renee raised an eyebrow and put her hands on her hips.

“Don’t be jealous.” Renee said turning and smacking herself on the butt.

“Wow.” Anna shook her head while heading back to her room. She grabbed a blue tank top from her closet and slipped in on before noticing her phone light going off. She had two missed calls. One from “Dalton” about ten minutes ago and one form “Daddy” that Anna had just missed a second ago. She thought she would call her dad back first. The phone only had to ring once before it was answered.

“Hello, Button!” her dad said excitedly.

Anna smiled at the use of her nickname. “Hi, daddy.”

“I didn’t think I’d catch you before my next lecture. What are you doing today?”

“Going to the pool with Renee and some friends.”

“Ooh the pool!” her dad said as though recalling memories of his visits to the pool. “Well I just wanted to call and say hi and that I love you.”

“I love you, too. Have a good trip.” She loved him when he was sober. He had no choice but to not drink on his trips, so he constantly called, sent messages and pictures from wherever he was. Then there were always the pricey souvenirs he brought from all over the country.

“Oh, I will. Call me tonight.”

“Ok. Bye dad.” She hung up just as she heard Renee call her name.

Anna looked around but she didn’t see her. “Yes?” she called. Then all she was Renee’s arm in the doorway jingling a pair of car keys that she easily recognized as her mother’s.

“No way!” Anna called out as Renee revealed herself with a large grin on her face.

Renee began to start victory dancing. “We got the ‘stang, we got the ‘stang.” She chanted while rotating her hips in a circular motion.

“How’d you pull that off?” Anna asked, shocked.

“Promised mom a wash.”

Anna’s mother had her Mustang convertible waxed and cleaned every other week, but she never objected to an extra car wash.

“Come on.”

Anna called Dalton on the way out and they agreed that she and Renee would pick him up after Matt.

When they picked Matt up, Anna made sure to lock her door so he couldn’t force her to move in the back.

On the way to pick up Dalton, Matt decided to speak up.

“So,” he began. “Are you and Dalton like, official? Matt asked curiously.

Anna shot a glare at Renee. “You told him?” she asked desperately.

“What?” Renee asked. “I tell him everything.” She said, trying to sound innocent.

“Well no.” Anna replied, looking down at her intertwined fingers. “We aren’t official.”

“How come?” Renee asked, somewhat let down by this news.

“I don’t know.” Anna threw her hands into the air. “Just shut up about it, ok?”

“Ok,” Renee agreed, pulling onto Dalton’s street.

After they picked up Dalton the drive to the pool was pretty quiet. The music was lightly pouring from the speakers, but no one was talking.

When they got there, Anna and Renee paid the four admission fees. Then the girls went into the left locker rooms and the boys, into the right ones.

Anna scanned for a locker and decided to put her towel and shoes in locker number 717. When she shut the locker door, she went to examine herself in the mirror. She fluffed her hair one last time before finding Renee and continuing to the pool area to look for the boys.

When Anna and Renee emerged from the locker rooms, they turned heads. The two girls standing next to each other were outrageously stunning. Just as the two of them entered the pool area, Dalton and Matt exited the locker room and walked over to the girls.

The four of them went off in pairs. Matt and Renee went to the lazy river and Dalton took Anna’s hand and led the two of them towards the slides.

Anna raced Dalton down the slides twice and had a race in the lap area before returning to the locker room to check her phone.

Once again, the first thing she noticed when she opened her locker was her phone light blinking red.
One Missed Text Message: Isabella Carter (:

Izzy had been Anna’s best girl friend since the 6th grade. The two of them and Dalton were practically inseparable. They used to spend almost every day together until Isabella went to Washington DC for the summer and hadn’t come back until 2 days ago.

Anna was thrilled when Izzy told her she was home again. She loved being alone with Dalton, but she missed having a girl around to talk to.
Isabella: Hey, what’s up?

Anna didn’t think anyone would mind, so she invited Izzy. Anna agreed to keep an eye out for whenever she arrived, and went back to the pool.

She messed around with Dalton and her sister in the hot tub for about 25 minutes before noticing Isabella come out of the dressing room in a green and pink flower bikini.

Anna waved her over into the large, blue tiled Jacuzzi tub. While Izzy dished out the hugs, Matt left for the bathroom and Renee went to call their mother and check in.

While Isabella was going on about Washington, Anna tuned out and thought about how she would tell Izzy about her and Dalton. Or if she even-

“What?!” Izzy shrieked interrupting Anna’s thought.

“What?” Anna asked, making her confusion clearly noticeable.

“Dalton finally told you?!” she reached over and punched him in the arm. “Took ya’ long enough!” Isabella winked at Anna.

Dalton rubbed his arm dramatically. “Yeah, yeah I know.” He took Anna’s hand. “And I am sorry.” Dalton wiped the hair away from Anna’s eyes and kissed her gently on the lips. When Anna pulled her lips away from Dalton and looked at Izzy, she couldn’t help but blush at the way her friend let her draw drop almost to the bottom of the bubbling tub.

The ride home was much less tense then the ride to the pool. The girls went home after they dropped off Dalton, and then Matt surreptitiously snuck his way up to Renee’s bedroom.

Tokeho BRONZE said...
on Sep. 5 2013 at 6:17 pm
Tokeho BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri

-Jimi Hendrix

may i ask how old you are? im trying to get this across to teens.

blueeyes2 said...
on Apr. 25 2013 at 3:35 pm
absolutely adore this so far, i can't wait to read more!!!!!

knicky620 said...
on Feb. 24 2012 at 9:45 am
i really like the story line of Anna and Dalton. i think Anna needs to tell her parents about the cutting though, she can only handle it on her own for so long.