WillowDale Pt. 2 | Teen Ink

WillowDale Pt. 2

By TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

Author's note:

I continued this on because my friend gave me inspiration once I said I had stopped working on this. She said ti already was a really good start, so I added more. I hope you enjoy!

Hope you enjoyed Chapter 6!

“Wait, what?” Paige asked. Valerie suddenly got up and started to rummage through their closet. 

“I mean,” Valerie said and she sorted through their winter clothes, “We’re going to go up to the mountains with Marcus and Tovalor. Who says we can’t? Ugh. Why have I never thought of this before?”

Paige still sat on the bed stunned by her sister’s sudden urge to go. 

“B-But,” Paige stammered, “They use dynamite, and it’s very loud you should know.” Then she made a face and folded her arms over her chest to show she was irritated. Paige tried to frown her face, but it felt so unnatural to her. So, she eventually gave up and wrinkled her eyebrows.

Valerie snickered at the memory Paige had referred to. Valerie had made a loud bang in the backyard when she was little and Paige was so frightened. Valerie had just found a rock and banged it against their window, but claimed it was dynamite for fun.

Valerie laughed, “Paige, that wasn’t dynamite. That was a rock that I just threw to your bedroom window. There was a spider so I tried to kill it.” She then shrugged like it was no big deal.

Paige’s face fell as she realized she was making a petty argument, “Oh.”

“Anyways, go get your sleeping sack and pairs of fresh clothes.” Valerie said as she pulled out a couple heavy winter coats from the back of the closet, “I’ll get started on the cart.”

***

They met outside their little cottage as Valerie loaded up the last things in their wooden wagon. It wasn’t very spacious, but it was big enough to hold Paige and everything they needed for two months. The snow crunched underneath Valerie’s feet as she went back inside their cottage, wiped off her boots at the front step, and called for Paige.

“PAIGE!”Valerie shouted across their house, “WE’RE LEAVING, COME ON!”

“COMING!” Paige called from upstairs. Paige ran down the stairs and almost glided through the front door. 

“Okay,” Paige said, still nervous, “I'm ready.”

Paige passed Valerie her last bag and brushed the leaves out of her hair. It was the middle of autumn and even closer to winter. Paige looked around the cart to check for any loose bolts.

“Check,” Paige mumbled to herself, repeating four times.

Valerie flipped her hood onto her head and put on her gloves that were lined with soft wool. This was going to keep her warm for sure. Paige took a wool blanket and covered up the cart so no one could see the supplies in their cart, and stop them from going. Valerie picked up the handles of the cart and started to drag it along the rocky pathway of a road. Paige followed by her side as they started a journey that would take at least a couple of hours.

Hope you enjoed Chapter 7!

A banging sound was coming from the surface. Dust and debris were falling from the ceiling. It was only time before the room collapsed. Rachel climbed out of her room-cave and into the black hallway. All of the lights had gone out to avoid exposure. She ran and dashed around the hallways until she reached the main cave. She gasped at the sight. There were wounded all over the floor. Nurses and doctors were attending to the damaged people from the rocks falling from above. This was the only room where the ceiling wasn’t moving. The doctors’ tails waved in anger. Their tails were dark black, and some were red. There were spades at the end of their tails that were almost always black, some were red.

As the Head of Tanwen walked into the room, all the doctors stood up and bowed to their leader. Mousad walked onward to Rachel.

“Sir.” said Rachel, addressing Mousad. Rachel was one of the head guards of the Tanwen civilization, and worked directly with Mousad, even though she was just nineteen. 

“The mess is coming from outside the cave systems.” he said to Rachel, “The miners have come back, but they are on the brink of discovering us. We cannot let that happen, Rachel. I am going to assign you to help everyone escape. Use the back exit and tell everyone to take all they have. We CANNOT leave anything or anyone behind.”

Rachel nodded. That was all the information she needed. She headed into a cave system and to the large wall. The wall had many holes, in which the Tanwens lived. Rachel used her wings and flew into the middle of the wall, and yelled so everyone could hear.

“Everyone! We are evacuating! Pack and move as fast as you can! Do not leave anything behind! Meet at the back exit and wait for a guard to escort you to safety! We are moving to the Rimforte Mountains! Let’s move! Move! Move!” , she yelled across the wall. Rustling could be heard from every section of holes and little kids, panicking. Rachel’s tail fluttered angrily. She flew back into the cave systems, and to her hole. She grabbed her black bag and stuffed all of her belongings into the bag. Her clothes, blankets, candles, and her pictures of family.

She pinned her guard badge on her shirt, and slipped her bow and arrow over her shoulder, and her blade at her waist. She needed to prepare for battle, in case the miners break in, and find them. Rachel pinned her red hair up in a bun on her head and took off her jacket. She slipped on her fighting boots and laced up the white laces. A boom came from above.

“Dynamite….” she muttered, “Oh no!”

Rachel shoved the last of her things in the bag, and slipped it on her back. She took one last look at her hole. Rachel patted the wall.

“You did well for me, little cave.” she said softly, “Goodbye.”

Hope you enjoyed Chapter 8!

Edit* There are onloy chapters 6 - 8 not 6 - 9. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Rachel unfolded her wings and glided through the cave systems. She flew close to the ceiling to not bother the worried families and people. The cold wind brushed against her face as she flew. This would be the last time she would feel it. The mountain served the Tanwen well, and was a stunning place for them to live. It was cozy and cold, but that’s what the Tanwen liked. There was fresh water from the mountain tops running through the cave. At meal times, Tanwens gathered water from the stream for their meal. Moss and vines hung from the ceiling which made it feel like a jungle ecosystem. Tears flew back behind her and the wind brushed them away. 

It wasn’t the time to cry, Rachel promised herself, at least not now.

Rachel sniffed and made her way to the main room. She flew to the ground and made a soft landing. Mousad turned to her with worried eyes, but a stern look on his face.

“Mousad, they’re using dynamite. The expedition is going to be much faster. We’re not going to make it.” Rachel said. But right as she finished her sentence, an explosion came from behind her and blasted everyone to the other side of the room. Rachel screamed as she was flung across the room and smashed into the wall. Rocks flew across the cave in all directions and hit many Tanwens, and Rachel saw blood spatter on the walls of the cave.

A burning pain was seething into her back as she lay motionless on the floor. Screams and echos of shouts were coming from all directions and orders could be heard from across the room. Rachel tried to speak, but instead of speaking, screams of pain erupted from her mouth. She groaned and whimpered as she laid on the floor, face down. A muffled voice spoke in Rachel’s ear as she was lifted up into someone’s arms and carried away. Her vision was blurry and couldn’t see who this person was. Then, everything went black.