Doctor's Game - Prologue/Pilot | Teen Ink

Doctor's Game - Prologue/Pilot

By Alia_Tan GOLD, Elk Grove, California
Alia_Tan GOLD, Elk Grove, California

"I gotta right to sing the blues/
gotta right to moan and sigh/
I gotta right to sit and cry" From "I gotta right to sing the blues" By Louis Armstrong

It’s seven fifteen in the morning and no one is up. I can feel a chilling breeze pass my face as I my eyes flutter open. It’s a little cold for some reason, and I can hear something pitter pattering on the roof. I realize it’s raining, right after the hottest night of the year. As I look at the ceiling from my bed, I start to miss the sun’s rays in my eyes. The morning just feels too cold. It’s the middle of August yet here in the hottest of all places, well, used to be the hottest, it is raining cats and dogs. And on a Sunday for crying out loud!

I sigh, half of relief and half of frustration. I planned that today I would finally ask Hunter if he would like to hang out at the park today. Obviously that was not going to happen. He seemed like a nice guy, just moved in with his family two doors down. He was the same age, fourteen, and went to the same high school as I did. For about four months now I had been arguing with myself whether or not to call him, for I had bumped into him five times since the first day of school. It wasn’t that I did not like him, it was just that there was something weird about him that made me not want to talk to him.

It could be because he always wears the same thing; red eye contacts, a green tee shirt, black sweats, and black vans, but it could have also been the fact that I see him literally everywhere I go, and I’m pretty sure he’s stalking me now.

As I’m thinking about this, I make a nervous laugh, shrugging the idea of being stalked. If anything, I was just being paranoid. I decide to finally get up, since the blankets I‘m curled up in are not warming my body any longer. I can hear the rain smacking the roof, like a thousand bullets being fired from the sky. I put on a robe as the coldness bites my body, going through the tee shirt and sweats that I normally sleep in.

‘Weird,“, I thought. “It was blazing hot last night, and now it’s the exact opposite.“

Putting my slippers on, I walk across the hall to the living room, where it’s even colder.

“stupid cold”, I murmur, “How could it be raining in summer?” I pull a blanket over my body, than another as I realize how cold it’s getting by the second. I pick up the remote besides me and turn on the television, shivering.

“Happy Sunday to our wonderful viewers!”. The weatherman in the television looks too happy, as usual, and wore a big grin on his face. “today, we will be seeing all time highs, a burning hundred and thirteen!”

I roll my eyes “stupid news” I say aloud. “More like a hundred and thirteen percent chance of rain!”. I turn off the television, confused and even more frustrated. And cold.

It was obviously cold today, no, more like we just moved to Antarctica over night and it’s freezing like heck. Even as I pull the blankets one by one over my body it is for some reason still getting cold. I start to think we really are in Antarctica now for I can hardly move my numb fingers.

Finally, I cannot take the cold and I pull the blankets over my head . I breathe into my hands and curl up, hoping that I could get at least some heat into my body.

Even my breath was cold for I could see the air as a solid echo.

I started to get scared now. My heartbeat was getting slower and fainter every second, and I started to realize that it should be beating fast for I was starting to freak out. The pounding of rain got louder and louder, for now bombs were hitting the roof and echoing so loud it hurt my ears.

‘What the heck was going on?’ I thought. Fear was starting to take hold over me, and being the strong person I was it made me more scared than ever. Was I dying? Would I see my mom and dad, my brother Merritt and my friend Kerstin ever again? What about my other friends and family?

I started to think about my future. What would I be when I grow up? Who will I fall in love with? Will Ms. Drant excuse my absences and homework if I were fatally ill? She was really strict when it came to education, regardless if someone was sick or hurt. Just then, I heard a high pitch sound. I winced as it crowded my eardrum, practically crashing all my other senses. It was the doorbell.

I decided I had to open the door. It could possibly save my life I had reasoned with myself. I was starting to fall asleep. I threw all the blankets at once to the other side of the couch. I gasped as the cold whacked me in the face, out of breath at the shocking temperature. Quickly, I got up, and everything blurred as the motion was too fast. Everything was spinning so I grabbed the edge of the couch to steady myself and clumsily walked to the door. The ground was like a thousand frozen icicles piercing through my feet.

I winced as the doorbell nearly killed my ears a second time.

“I’m coming!” I say aloud.

I stumble to the door, ready to answer it. I stopped myself for a second. My parents would hear so if I were to answer I was grounded. But then again, I was dying right here…

The doorbell rang five more times, each screamed into my ears, killing my sense of hearing. All I could hear was the BANG of the doorbell. If the person were to ring one more time, it would kill my other senses.

I finally open the door to see to things before I crashed to the ground. First, the sun was shining on our front porch and it wasn’t raining, even though I could’ve sworn it was. And second, it was him. Hunter caught me as I fell to the ground, whispering in my ear, “Time to go.”

I wrote this a few months back. I have more of it, as well as other pieces :) please comment and tell me what you think and feel free to give any tips or questions that need to be answered! PLEASE RATE as well :)

Alia_Tan GOLD said...
Alia_Tan GOLD, Elk Grove, California

"I gotta right to sing the blues/
gotta right to moan and sigh/

mmm kind of.... she was dying, but hes not exactly vthe angel of death lol, like it will explain in  the nex tchapter if posted :)

on Mar. 28 2011 at 10:17 am
queentabbiecat99 GOLD, Dardanelle, Arkansas

Things aren't always what they seem.

omg....... was she dieing or something and he was like the angel of death?

JenelleW BRONZE, Camarillo, California

"You are born with only half a heart. You have to find the other half on your own"-Unknown

OMYGAWD this is spectacular. WOW i absolutely love this(: