Happy | Teen Ink

Happy

By gia-peixoto BRONZE, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
gia-peixoto BRONZE, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I fell in love with a great guy, or so I thought. I fell in love with John, because he believed in me. The way he smiled brightened my day. I fell in love with the guy that used to call me when I was mad at him and tell me how crazy it was that we had met and that out of all the people in the world it was me he chose. I loved the boy who gave me chills when he said my name. I fell in love with the way we used to talk and talk for hours and never get bored.

I loved him for when he danced around me while I was making food for us. I loved his hugs and the warmth I felt. One time we watched a Disney movie with the blanket up to our necks and the biggest smile on my face. Every time there was a funny part we would throw our heads back in laughter and then our eyes would meet and the world would stop. I fell in love with the guy that was there when I thought I wasn’t there for myself. I loved him because he made my world better. I fell in love with John.

There was never a time when I couldn’t stop smiling while around him. When I was with him the world stopped. We used to hug and everything was okay for me. I was so happy. While apart from him I felt empty, lost, completely out of it. Even though I knew he was there, in spirit, I wanted to see his smile 24/7. To have his eyes staring deep into mine, was a thrill.

We sometimes had opposing opinions, but our little arguments over who was the best pop singer never got between us. His name being called across the room made my heart skip a few beats. I would walk past him and his friends at lunch, back and forth, just to see him laughing. I really loved him.

I never noticed how he never acknowledged me when someone else was in the room. I never noticed how he pretend I was a ghost. When his friends made fun of me, he laughed along as if he wasn’t texting me he loved me at the same time. He hurt my feelings and I came back. I was stupid, but I was in love. He may have used me, but there were little moments that I would always remember that would make me want to just go back. I would do anything just to go back in time, to a month ago, when we were happy.

Have you ever hurt so bad that you just sit and stare into utter nothingness? I loved him. I would've done anything for him, when he asked, I said yes. When he apologized, I didn’t think once before taking him back. He made me so happy and I wasn't going to let me hurt any more than I did. I wanted to smile again, to feel the warmth of his smile as if a thousand suns were shining on us. I didn't want him to leave me, to break me down. But he did, he hurt me.

Now you go ahead and say I'm stupid, but I will always have those happy memories. Seeing him around, still smiling, for a moment I have the same feeling I used to get when I saw him smile. That huge butterfly storm and I smile for a second too.

Then everything hits me, He’s not the one. He doesn't care. I think the hardest thing for me to realize that I cared so much about him, and all I was to him was a girl, who he would take advantage of again, and again. A girl who pined for him, a girl who made him do stupid things, like a slow dance. I was there for him, I listened to all his problems, I comforted him. No other girl ever did that, so why would he leave me for them? What was so wrong with me? He left me.

It always felt like he loved me, I was so blinded. I wish he did have just the tiniest bit of love for me. I deserve a guy who loves me, a guy who sees me and can’t get his eyes off of me. I want that, I really wanted that with John. It kills me to think that I will never have that with him. I will never be loved by him. It hurts so much to know that what you really want, more than anything else in the world, you can’t have.

I couldn't stop imagining the future. I wanted to go head in and never come out again. I wanted the world to stop spinning. I just wanted him and me, alone, yet together. I believe that some things we did weren't fake, I believe that sometimes he did like running around. I wanted to think that he went home and thought about me for hours. Then again, I believe he held me in his arms and counted down the seconds until we parted.

I think I saw him in a different light, one where he was my everything. I now realize he is nothing to me, nothing. Just like I was, and am, nothing to him. Sometimes I used to lie in bed at night and think about him. While being trapped in almost a time warp with him in my mind, I forgot who I was.

Now that we’re done, I don't remember who I am. I don’t know who I associate with, I don’t know what to think, what to do, what to say. It’s almost like I thought about his life more than I ever thought about myself.

Sometimes I thought about what I was going to say to him when we were together, everything was staged in my mind and I was ready to play it all out. I made funny lines and jokes and fell in love with my fairy tales, I fell in love with my version of John.

I made up the ideal guy in my head, what he would do, what we would do. I never thought for a second that, that's not what he does, he never went out of his way. I saw things he did and made a fantasy of them. The perfect story for me. I thought and thought about every perfect thing that could happen, but with the wrong guy. He was merely an object that my mind created into completely different things.

Sometimes, while facing a scary situation, he was there with me. It took me a while, but I realize now that it was just me, talking and doing what I wanted in my mind. I never fell in love with John, I fell in love with happiness.

The situations I made up in my head were all just to make me content. John was just the person who was the physical side of it. I can be happy, happiness is not within a boy, it’s within yourself. What do I think is true happiness, not who.

Hi, I'm Gia. I'm from South Africa and I moved to America at the age of nine. I thought up this story when I went through a similar situation. Heartbreak hurts, but anyone can get through it.

cringing_pandamonium, Gilbert, Arizona

"the man who reads lives a thousand lives and the man who doesn't lives only one."

i love it when a writer can litterally teleport a reader into their place to feel a shimmer of what they're feeling. that. that takes SkIlllls UwU

ecawthon said...
ecawthon, Taylors, South Carolina

You didn’t come this far only to come this far.

Wow. You really opened my eyes to a whole new world I never knew existed. I've heard things like this before, but have never heard it told so deeply. The message is absolutely beautiful, and I believe that one day, you will find your fantasy of John, but on a better scale. I hope we all do.

lunathepup said...
on Jun. 23 2020 at 12:31 am
lunathepup, Allambie, Other
I really like the message

KaylaCreative, Foley, Alabama

Don't Ever Be Afraid To Show Your True Colors

This Is Something I Can Relate Too. It's Quite Unique, And Relatable.

read4ever BRONZE, Newfields, New Hampshire

" It is my belief that there are two people in the world: Those who look at clouds and see shapes, and those who look at clouds and see clouds."

wow, I can totally relate to this. It's amazing. i just love it.

QueenOfTheWorld SILVER, Joplin, Missouri

"One should never save cake for later when it can be eaten now"
Winter, The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

This story almost completely sums up my love life. It's good.

on May. 29 2019 at 11:30 am
Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
This is simply beautiful story. Wonderful job!!!!