Lost In The Woods | Teen Ink

Lost In The Woods

By Phoenix1109 BRONZE, Cantin, Michigan
Phoenix1109 BRONZE, Cantin, Michigan

Day 1: An Unexpected Journey

Their was a loud crashing sound behind me and I stood still  hoping what it was
would go away…, then, a hand firmly grasped my shoulders quickly and shook
me a bit. I turned around,  there was my dad had a huge smile on his face and showed me one of my salamanders in the palm of his hand ”They seem to be getting
really big now,” he explained to me, “we might have to release them if they get
much bigger….” “I'm just joking.” he said and pulled his hand back. I shook my
head and my dad turned around and went back to my room with a smile.  I heard
the cage open in my room then close again and my dad returned to the living room. “You should get some rest now Tyler it’s getting late.” my dad explained. The next
morning I woke up to my turtle, Shellby, scratching at the glass along with
Nibbles.I got out of bed, fed the animals, and got up and out of my room to start
the day.
I ran over to Sarah’s house as soon as I could I rang the doorbell only to see her
tired and looking like she only got two hours of sleep. She took half an hour to get
ready so I decided to take out my phone and play for a bit. She came out with a
bunch of supplies so I didn’t ask what took so long. “Ready,”I asked “Yep I’m
ready,” Sarah replied. We walked into the park and cut into the woods to hit our
main area where we were hoping to catch some small creatures and if we got
lucky maybe some small sticklebacks or peacock bass. We traveled for a bit
before realizing we had missed the pond we stuck together water dripping onto
our pants I ran ahead a bit to find a path I found one and was overjoyed we hadn't
gotten lost. I waited for 12 minutes before hearing Sarah scream for help I ran toward her screams to find her in a small trench hanging onto a the root of a large tree.  I
put my hand out for her to grab and she hesitated and slipped off the root grabbing my hand as she fell pulling me down the trench as well.

I woke up to see that I had landed at the bottom of the small trench, I struggled the
right myself and stood up sore all over before collapsing. I lay there before trying
once again to stand up and finally stand. I called out to Sarah but she didn’t reply I
kept trying multiple times before hearing somebody else respond I felt relief as
Sam came and looked into the trench we were stuck in. He went away for a
second and came back and told me the way out I climbed onto the ledge only to
see Sarah on the other side limping over to me. We climbed out all cut and
bruised and walked into the cold and dark forest.

We wondered for a bit but it was hard to see because it had gotten dark really fast
and Sarah and I hurt as we were kept falling over so we decided it was time we
covered ourselves in leaves and went to sleep. I woke up multiple times during
the night to Sam kicking me and the leaves blowing off of me and making me cold. Eventually I got to sleep and even though my body was extremely cut and bruised
the pain sort of just put me to sleep for enough time to get fully rested for the
morning.

Day 2: A Steady Start

We woke up the next morning cold and tired we all decided we were lost in the
woods we eventually found a torturous river that lead back to town before my
phone died on me. We started to head down the river before finding a large
dammed area filled with large salmon, Sarah took out her net and slowly inched
her way into the small pool of water. “Sarah what are you doing.” I wondered
“Wait…, NOW!” she yelled scooping the net into a school of salmon. She walked
over with 7 small salmon flopping in the net, “Got something to eat,” she stated,
“Now we have to start a fire.”. I got out my pocket knife and pulled the flint out of
the side, remembering what my mom had talked about when she gave this to me.
I almost started crying because for a second I thought what it would be like if she and my dad never had the divorce that would never happen.

Sarah pulled her sleek brown hair back and set the net in the water so the brightly
colored fish I pulled a large bucket to hold some of the fish in. We started the fire
Sam went out to get firewood, Sarah watched the fire, and I skinned a fish to eat.
After sam dropped off the wood he sat down and warmed up by the fire, “Hey it
may not be my buisness but…, why were you both stuck in that crevice
yesterday.” Sam wondered. “We went out to catch some animals to keep at my
house.” I rambled, “But we went the wrong way, and Sarah fell into the crevice,
and when I helped her up I fell too, and... well you know the rest.” Turns out Sam
had came over to see me but my dad told him I had gone out so he had come
looking for me.

We built a makeshift shelter and before we could all get to sleep the rain started
coming down in bathtubs. I struggled to get to bed so I got up and went out to look
for some sticks to widdle down while I waited for the rain to go away and there
seemed to be a leek in the the roof because there were drops of water coming down from the shelter. The rain finally went away but it was still too cold for me to go to
sleep so I just layed there and waited for the day to arrive, I knew if I couldn’t get
to sleep then it was going to be a long night. Suddenly there was a rustling in the
bushes in the distance I put new wood down and started to get the fire going the fire quickly became a large crackling fire, there weird flashing light like a reflection
showed in the bushes I didn’t know what it was at first but then the glistening
things moved and became apparent we were being watched.

The eyes moved toward us and I woke up Sam and Sarah, “Wake up guys, get up
now.” I whispered trying not to startle the creature. As it approached Sarah and
Sam wide eyed looked as it showed itself it was a coyote and it seemed really
desperate since it was attempting 3 kids like us. Scared we all pushed the shelter
over and made a break for it with the coyote hot on our tails the leaves glimmered
from the rain and it made a clear path for us there was a slight point that seemed
like a hole “Jump!” I exclaimed. We just barely cleared the cravis and turned
around only to see the coyote smack face first into the cravis and fall into it with a
loud yelp, we sighed in relief and in the distance we could see… see light from
the park we all walked home cold, wet, and tired. My dad took one look at me and
eyes open wide and a sort of disgusted face on him “Where ha…” my dad asked
before I cut him off, “Please don’t ask,” I replied tired and worn, and went off to bed.

This is inspired by my love for nature but no matter how beutiful it is in can also be very dangerous.