The Trees Creaked As I Screamed | Teen Ink

The Trees Creaked As I Screamed

November 6, 2018
By lopezdennice BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
lopezdennice BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Darkness is an overcoming feeling, one I would soon become accustomed to. I didn’t realize when I opened my eyes, but when I did sharp light pierced my vision. No memory of my whereabouts, I took into account my surroundings and soon discover a lab. Confusion must be evident as I peer through the glass in which I am encased. Tubes are attached to my arms, beeping can be heard from the monitors, and foreign mathematics spread over the walls. Suddenly, something catches my eye standing out of the light, a figure slowly descends from the shadows. A young man in a lab coat with blonde hair and thick glasses peers back at me. I continue to stare even as the doctor speaks to me. Finally, he acknowledges me and when he does it’s not what I would’ve expected. He mumbles under his breath, “Subject seems unaware of current status.” My confusion increases with every passing second, yet the man in the lab coat continues to speak incoherently into his recorder. He repeats my pulse and blood pressure, he turns to me and begins by introducing himself as Dr. Nielsen Smith. There was a brief pause, the doctor then said he was assigned to uncover the weird and unexplained truth about those like me. Nothing about his demeanor indicated he was gonna be nice about it. Dr. Nielsen began to experiment on me by beginning to draw blood from his right arm. Goosebumps broke out across my body, just the sight of that silver needle made me nauseous. He wasn’t quite sure what the doctor was looking for. The doctor came at him with a malicious look in his eye, his intent not quite clear. The strap had gotten loose in my attempt to steer clear of the needle, I abruptly struck him in the chest as hard as I could. The doctor was sent flying across the room, leaving an imprint in the wall.

I knew then and there why they were experimenting on me. I had abilities that no other person possessed, I released myself from the restraints, by single tugs from each limb. I took off out the door where I was met with a series of hallways and doors, as instinct a door opened and a woman in a lab coat stepped through. Now was my chance, I pushed her out of the way and ran.  Everything started to blur as I increased my pace, soon I came upon an area similar to the place I was held in. Others seemed to be trapped just like me, outside every door were their name and the ability they possessed. He had no idea what he just uncovered, this place seems set on one goal and that’s to uncover the truth behind those just like me. With that thought I knew I had to let them go, but the guards were about to come, I had to leave them behind. I then found a box screwed into the wall, there was a single button that did God knows what. Without hesitation I slammed the button a door flew open and I managed to shut the door separating me from the oncoming guards. I looked around for an exit, noticed a door on my right side, I took off towards it. Once outside light shone as the speakers blared alerting those of the lockdown. I took off towards the fence. They were gaining on me, I dashed at a pace unimaginable to a human, my vision couldn’t keep up with my speed accelerating. Soon the sound of the men started to fade into the distance but that did not deter me. I couldn’t slow down even as my body began to scream in protest noting exhaustion. My lungs were on fire, but I kept pumping faster.

Darkness surrounds me as well as the sound of nature.The leaves rustled as the night air swept through them. Immediately, a crunch was heard to my side, I turned my head but not quick enough. A light beamed that blinded me, men shouted as they drew weapons. I was surrounded and outnumbered, but that wasn’t gonna stop me from fighting. I took a stance as they began to close in on me, I had drawn up all my energy left. I’m not going back, I thought, even if it means I will die in the process. The trees creaked as I screamed, I took off towards them as a fight ensues.


The author's comments:

Dennice Lopez

1231 Grandview Blvd. Sioux City, IA 51103

Phone: 712.252.0573 Email: hawkeyefan.dl@gmail.com

Dear Editor,

I am submitting a short story, "THe Trees Creaked As I Screamed" for consideration in Teen Ink. It is 755 words. 

I am currently 17 years old and a junior at Bishop Heelan High School.

Sincerely,

Dennice Lopez