Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

sammyboi23 said...
Aug. 8, 2008 at 2:55 am:
AWESOME POEM!

kelli said...
Hi Carl, my name is Kelly. I've just finished reading your poem, and I wanted to say that I loved the slant ryhme, and the way in which you went about creating the stanzas. It reminds me of Emily Dickinson, in a way. Keep it up. I don't know what grade you're in, but if you're in college you should start looking at literary magazines to send your work to instead of just teen ink. I don't even know why they would put this on teen ink raw - probably because of the lower case, but I know you know w... (more »)

MangoMoonlight replied...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm :
Yes, the poem is great, but I think the theme is what makes it so, not the slant rhyme and the stanzas.  And as for reminding you of Emily Dickinson, I'm thinking more of an E.E. Cummings "morbidly curious" feel.  But, I do see your point in posting a specific comment like that in a sea of "Carl, you're soo good" and "OMG you are fab".  Much more constructive.

AlcoholHarmony said...
Aug. 7, 2008 at 4:12 am:
Hey Carl, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your poem. It reminds me of a personal experience. Keep up the Good Job.

shoelessjoe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm :
i've read this a thousand times and it's still fantastic :)

LilZo11 replied...
Jan. 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm :
hey anyone know how to find more works by this person if he has a poem like this im sure if he has others they must be pretty awsome too