Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

on May. 2 2011 at 8:55 am
KarreraRadford GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas

"When Life says ' Give up',
Hope wispers ' Try one more time'"

i agree and disagree at the same time, because in other places outside of the country the drinking age is much lower, but that is because those kids grew up on that law so they know how to stedy themselfs. but if it were to be lowered for us then we would go overboard because it would be new and everyone would be doing it so it would be more...bad. but i doo agree that it should be lowered, because i drink(not often!) but i never take more that half a beer. so some people do actuly restect drinking.

on Apr. 30 2011 at 7:13 pm
FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

though this does make sense you have to think about the fact that they cant just say "you may drink whenever you can fully understand the affects and responiblies that come with drinking alcohol" because that would be impossible to know for sure.

rpm77 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 27 2011 at 7:57 pm
rpm77 BRONZE, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

" I have not yet begun to fight"

John Paul Johns?

I completly agree with this article mabe not alot of teens drink for "rebellion" but still the US has one of the highest binge drinking rates in the world and countries in Europe have a lower drinking age and a lower binge drinking rate  mostly because the teens dont have to sneak out to go get drunk but can drink an ok amount whenever they want .  Thumbs up.  I actually wrote an article about lowering the drinking age too go check it out PLezzzz

on Apr. 21 2011 at 7:17 pm
gloriasinferno37 SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts

When I grow up I want to be like me
-Kurt Cobain

it depends who your friends are- in my cirlcles of freinds rebelion is not only fun, but considerd to be cool. we do have difering opinions, but the thing is lowering the drinking age wont affect irsponsible parents.

on Apr. 21 2011 at 6:19 pm
KaitlynMarie GOLD, Northborough, Massachusetts

"I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be."
-Nicholas Sparks

k lets stop now, clearly we all have differing opinions.

archon GOLD said...
on Apr. 21 2011 at 5:54 pm
archon GOLD, Mandeville, Louisiana
i never said there weren't any, i'm just saying that it's not nearly as common any more, rebellion isn't popular

on Apr. 21 2011 at 9:07 am

When I grow up I want to be like me
-Kurt Cobain

i can think of ten of the top of my head. just becasue you dont know any doesnt mean there arnt

archon GOLD said...
on Apr. 20 2011 at 11:49 pm
archon GOLD, Mandeville, Louisiana
literally nobody I know drinks "for rebellion" rebellion just isn't the thing to do any more, most parents of teens who drink BUY THEM ALCOHOL, or are willing to host parties where they know their kids and kid's friends are drinking.  

on Apr. 20 2011 at 9:42 pm

When I grow up I want to be like me
-Kurt Cobain

amen! some laws dont make any sence.

on Apr. 20 2011 at 9:40 pm

When I grow up I want to be like me
-Kurt Cobain

did you read the article at all? in the second paragraph (ryeah ight in the beginging) the writes say, and i quote, "the main reason for doing so is breaking the law." so by you saying it isnt logical, look at how noramal teens think and then make your opinion. and lowering the drinking age is not saying "'KAY KIDS GO OUT AND GET SMASHED" its just keeping crime rates and adrenilin junkies at bay. NO ONE wants drunk driving acsident, but no matter if you 16 18 21 or 57 its all the same. then you line "just because you probably like drinking and think the age should be lowerd so you can be leagle" is sooooooo unnesasary. I mean, people are aloud a EDUCATED opinion, and just because you don't agree with them doesnt mean you can bash them and imply there an itiot. so please, dont comment unless you actualy read the article. thanks.

on Apr. 20 2011 at 7:09 pm

-Nicholas Sparks

Lowering it would be stupid, first fo all Alcohol ruins someones health in the first place. It also can cause more car crashes and deaths. By lowering the age, it makes people think that it's okay to get drunnk. Why would you want that to happen? It's just a bad idea. Just because you probably like drinking and think the age shoudl be lowered so you can be legal, doesn't mean that it's an excellent change...

I know we all have opinions though. Yours just isn't logical.

RRBB77 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 20 2011 at 7:04 pm
RRBB77 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"People change, things go wrong; but just remember, life goes on."

I can see where you're coming from but... wouldn't that just be stupid? yes, teens already drink but there are still teens that obey the law. If you lower the drinking age, there would be even more teens who would drink. And that would just make it easier for them to get alcohol... what's to stop them from getting in a car drunk?

archon GOLD said...
on Apr. 20 2011 at 4:33 pm
archon GOLD, Mandeville, Louisiana
I agree whole-heartedly as well. Low drinking ages work for countries in Europe where drinking is cultural and not just something for partying or self-medicating, if people wouldn't abuse it 18 might be ok, but people will always, always abuse it here

archon GOLD said...
on Apr. 20 2011 at 4:31 pm
archon GOLD, Mandeville, Louisiana
I completely agree with TheJust. Teens of course have tendency to want to disobey but that drive is not NEARLY as strong as it's perceived to be. people drink becuase they want to forget, because they want to have fun, and fit in. those things will not change if it's lowered, but, as TheJust said, just make the same rules apply to people that are even younger

TheJust ELITE said...
on Apr. 20 2011 at 10:47 am
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

And make them start even younger. The urge to rebel will not go away simply because the drinking age is lowered. It will only appeal to even younger and younger ages. Lowering the drinking age is not the solution, but only a bigger problem.

on Apr. 20 2011 at 8:18 am
daywalker67 BRONZE, Pleasantville, New York

"Don’t underestimate the power of doing nothing, of just going along and listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”

SO TRUE!!!

Archy said...
on Apr. 19 2011 at 4:16 pm
Archy, Honolulu, Hawaii

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone"
~Robin Williams

You just said pretty much what my father, a lawyer, says all the time. I agree with you 100%

ecj99 said...
on Apr. 19 2011 at 11:18 am
DUde thatll mkae them do it more

A7XfoREVer said...
on Apr. 18 2011 at 2:30 am
A7XfoREVer, Anchorage, Alaska

"Oh sh*t , what's in the bucket? What's in the bucket , of the bucket of sh*t; Motherf*cker with the grapes. Grapes in the mouth; grapes in the mouth make it happy down south! Make ya' get a big b*ner whatcha gonna do?!"-Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

I'm sorry, but did you read any of this, or just the title? Most teens drink for rebellion, for that adrenaline rush so if they're allowed to, they won't do it as much.

on Apr. 17 2011 at 2:08 pm
I totally agree with this, and not just because I am a teenage girl. I think that it's unfair that in Mexico the drinking age is 16, and they're our neighbors!