Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:55 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

and then we wont need welfare cuz there will be alot more jobs open :D WOW THIS IS GREAT!...maybe this was hitler's thought process before the holocaust?

on May. 12 2011 at 10:52 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

"People only hate what they see in themselves"

Oh yeah lemme tell ya, I mean, everyone is complaining about how horrible it is-the world being all over-populated and what not. Like after all those drinking fatalities, the only people left alive will be the smartical people. Ya know?

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:50 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

LOL well when ur president i think you should lower the drinking age cuz then our population would decrease dramtically! I mean COME ON! there are way to many people on the highways....I mean sure maybe the first few weeks will suck with all the car crashes but after that you'll be in the clear! :D...and the line at the popcorn stand will be almost non existent at the movies cuz so many people will have funerals planned. GOSH! look at all the possibilities!

on May. 12 2011 at 10:46 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

Nah, cuz if I was president.....I don't know what I'd do...... then again, maybe I have an idea or two.... JUSS KIDDING

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:45 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

Let me rephrase.....Your a true american...wanna run for president? ;)

on May. 12 2011 at 10:44 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

What's a patriot o.O

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:42 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

Oh yeah this is perfect cosgrove! your a true patriot! *sarcasm!!!!!!!!*

on May. 12 2011 at 10:40 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

Yeah, and after that law is passed, lets make one that lets all the troubled people get away with murder and see where we can go from there. . . .

on May. 12 2011 at 10:34 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

Yes, because I just love looking like a freakin idiot in front of a bunch of strangers who could either take advantage of me, or just post a pic of me on Facebook, Yup, that's real fun.... >.<

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:32 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

and lets face it....drinking is used as an outlet or for used for having a "good time". I don't see what so fun about puking, hangovers and making ourselves look bad but whatever. We all have different taste in "fun".

on May. 12 2011 at 10:30 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

Just because you're old enough to join the Army does not mean that you are mature enough to drink. Yes, when you join the Army, its a big thing and your doing something really important but at the same time you are accepting new responsibilities as well as risking your life, your OWN LIFE, for the welfare of the people back home or for that guy who just lost his legs fighting with you. Yes, go on and drink, but just remember-once you take on something new, something more mature* (*if mature is the right word...) you owe it to yourself and others to be responsible while you do it. No one needs to lose their life over you just having a good time.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:19 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

i agree with you guys plz read my comment above. It exspresses my opinion and i would like some honest feedback on it.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:17 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

No offence but she has the right to exspress her opinion. Her opinion is similar to mine and i read your artical.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 10:13 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

I deal with irresponsible teens everyday. I am one of them. Most of my friends spend their weekend getting wasted. two of my friends are dead and One of them is in jail for taking a life while under the influence. So lets just let them kill themselves and others around them legally, right? No. I beleive that the ages for driving, and smoking should be raised and the military has nothing to do with drinking. at least in the military you are not loopy and irresponsible and at least you GAIN something good from being in the military. ALSO in the military you are joining in full understanding that you can die and that the people you are attacking are those who are trying to destroy your home. BUT When you are drinking not only are you gambling with your life (which i highly doubt your ready to die yet) you are also gambling with the lives of your friends and others around you. Drinking can be deadly and i think that teens should learn it the hard way. Lowering the drinking age will just make younger people want to drink more. Think about it. your 16 and you 18 year old sister goes "LOL I can have this and you can't" Well wait a sec...she acts EXACTLY like you do...she is still immature and irresponsible.....and she can drink while you can't? I dont think so!....and then later two drunk teens die on a higway going 90 MPH. You and your sis. thats a senario that happens alot now a days. Why encourage them? Why tell kids its OKAY to drink when it's not. Why let them win? I say keep the age as it is. If you don't then I'm moving to a country without alcohol cuz i have no intentions of dying.

SMiiLEY said...
on May. 12 2011 at 8:44 am
in my school we are doing a debate on this subject and i really get a lot of information off of this article thanks!!!

MadMouse GOLD said...
MadMouse GOLD, Springfield, Missouri

'The only things worth doing on the weekend are completely pointless and wastes of time."

I like this article! I see your point and even though I don't like drinking it really makes sense. I've heard your argument before but this I like the way you put it the best.

THE LOWEST ILLEGAL DRINKING AGE IS ZERO??? REBELLION??? STEPHAN MCGULLY BEGS TO DIFFER.

DillN GOLD said...
DillN GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
i agree with this article. i think if your old enough to join the army and KILL PEOPLE and mature enough to handle that. your mature enough to make the descision to drink

Shadowkisses12 BRONZE, Venus, Texas

Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.

Actually to you killer, all people would kill themselfs not just teens, i don't get why people always say us teen do this bad bad this bad that it gets on my nerves adult make bad chooices to.

killer000319 said...
Everyone can ajust to alcohol it's just kids in america shouldn't have drinking rights because they would get stupid and kill themselves in a car wreck.