Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

on May. 16 2011 at 10:14 am
KarreraRadford GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas

"When Life says ' Give up',
Hope wispers ' Try one more time'"

i agree with killer, its very true, and to be honest, if i was a crazy teen, then id probly be out every night drinking. but hey, im not, so i dont :)

on May. 15 2011 at 5:06 am
BVBlover BRONZE, Glasgow, Other
i think the drinking age is set due to the maturity and development of the liver. if we expose children essentially to alchohol when their livers are not fully formed this could result to a rise in liver problems in both the uk and the us although the drinking age in the uk is 18 i feel that this is anappropriate age for women because of their earlier development now i am not a sexist person but i think the us drinking age is directed more at the developmental rate of men and i also think that women and men should have separate drinking ages to make sure that when we eventually start drinking are bodies are properly mature to deal with what is essentially a poison but thanks to our livers it is broken down and if the liver is not fully formed we have no idea of the health implications

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

yeah you totally should!!! that'd be really really awesome!!! :)

Meko8195 said...
on May. 13 2011 at 11:58 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

that's a good idea. Maybe describe the funerals and how my one friend (The one in jail) had to meet the parents of the person he killed. Most people don't consider that. Parents go crazy and it was them who stopped me from wanting to drink. The pain on their faces was so horrible that just the thought of alcohol is painful.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 13 2011 at 11:55 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

Yeah and guess what! people who drink before the age of fourteen have a higher risk of developing a mental disease. Seems like you might already be on the start of that one though....I mean 13 is ridiculous. You obviously don't have the maturity to understand how to react to peoples comment but heres a suggestion. DON'T REACT. :) it wont help anyways.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 13 2011 at 11:52 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

It is a good idea...........NOT! LOL

on May. 13 2011 at 7:47 am
YOUR AN IDIOT

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

well i wouldn't say that........

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

oh. that was random

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

hey all the druggies will be gone and we won't be paying them to be druggies either... i'm starting to like this idea.... jk :)

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

it's good when people share experiences like this because it shows what HAS happened and what will CONTINUE to happen if people don't take notice of the 'big picture.' i wouldn't be surprised, Meko8195, if you just changed someone's mind about this, you should write a story about this and describe feelings and stuff. that'd be cool- just for all of us to bring it close and all that. 

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

we get a bad rap because stereotypically, we're known for being impulsive.

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

ben dover, i'm pretty sure that a lot of people don' t have much respect for you, sharing that you've been drinking for three years and you're only thirteen. just throwing that out there to help with social skills a little bit for later on in life.

ilovedayna BRONZE, Story, Wyoming

i love you

i see where you come from but i disagree. being a teenager, my peers often do impulsive things and i don't think our bodies are developed enough yet to put alcohol in them. yes i know that it's thought of as "cool" to some people, and some people think they'll be fine, but if you read up on the effects on the body it's really not smart to drink at all. i don't know how it could be legal when it could effect someone's course of life so early. 

Echinacea8 GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Somebody said that it couldn't be done, but he with a chuckle replied that maybe it couldn't [and maybe it shouldn't], but he wouldn't be the one to say so until he tired" - Edgar Albert Guest

ummh, please edit your work for punctuation/grammar....

As for the topic, I do not disagree that the age should be lowered. However, if it is then the driving age needs to be raised. What some people fail to realize is that many countries with low drinking ages, have high driving ages. In comparison, in the U.S. we drive relatively young and I feel like having both privileges at the same time could do more harm than good.

CupcakeSaffy PLATINUM, Cochrane, Other

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

I don't think it quite needs to be that low - just low enough for mature teens to not consider it an amazing rebellious thing, just a normal choice that isn't that excited. Drinking is fine, but when it's turned into a rebellious, illegal, brilliant thing to do to get drunk - teens get the wrong idea.

firelord SILVER, Queensbury, New York

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

Are you kidding? That's like the most  terrbile thing someone your age could do! If you're not kidding, then you're really messing up your body. Quit.

ben dover said...
i think the drinking age should be lowerd to 13. i think 13 year olds could handle dinking. i have been drinking sence i was 10 years old and i am doing just fine!

Meko8195 said...
on May. 12 2011 at 11:49 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

Well i am! >:( I hate it when i see druggies lining up the streets waiting for their next paycheck for doing NOTHING!....but anyways alcohol will solve that problem.

on May. 12 2011 at 11:47 am
Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

"People only hate what they see in themselves"

Perhaps. But I don't think he was concerned about the welfare....