Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


on Apr. 14 2011 at 7:08 am
Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
13 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin

i see you point. but WHY? IS IT REALLY MESSISARY TO LOWER THE DRICKING AGE??? I MEAN, THATS JUST STUPID! it would cause more car accidents and more deaths.

Amd92 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 13 2011 at 4:25 pm
Amd92 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh

If the drinking age was lowered, it would just give teens a more legitimate reason to drink. I am one of the 13% of high school seniors who has not drank illegally and I am disgusted at the amount of people who do. It doesn't surprise me, though. If it were legal to drink in high school, especially in the US, students would be less hesitant to do so. If we could trust them to drink responsibly, I agree with you, 18 is a fine age. But they won't drink responsibly unfortunately. The frontal lobe of your brain is not fully developed and that is the part that helps you make smart choices. 

jordna33 said...
on Apr. 12 2011 at 1:39 pm
stfu dusche

on Apr. 10 2011 at 2:12 pm
Brittbyheart SILVER, Yucca Valley, California
6 articles 9 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
No matter what you do in life, in the end, the only person that will take impact is you.

So when (metaphorically) you drive druk. Sure, any old cop can pull you over and give you a DUI, can they not? And then everything will be all hunky dory. So lets say when you drive drunk, and that cop is not on the road, but at a house arresting an intruder, and you never got stoped, what happenes? You run five stop lights, hit a dog, and crash into a bank; then the cops come and not only give u a DUI, they also give you crinimal charges and put you in jail with a $100,000.00 bail charge. Sound like fun? Or how about u spin out of control and hit a car and then that car hit another car, and so on. Then, people are dramaticaly injured and/or DEAD! But oh no, its perfectly ok, your over 18. Not like the 10 year old fourth grader that got killed because of ur ignorince had anything to do with it, long as your 18-21 can can make up your own mind about stuff, we are all happy.

cough__ahem said...
on Apr. 7 2011 at 1:23 pm
cough__ahem, Lake Park, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Wise people make mistakes, but they don't make them twice.- Unknown
God din't say that he'd make life easy, he just said that he'd help us through hard times. - I don't know who worte that either

YES!! That is SO true.

cough__ahem said...
on Apr. 7 2011 at 1:20 pm
cough__ahem, Lake Park, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Wise people make mistakes, but they don't make them twice.- Unknown
God din't say that he'd make life easy, he just said that he'd help us through hard times. - I don't know who worte that either

Really I think that people are irresponsible, even people who are 21 years old or older still act like children. I agree that teens drink just because it's against the law, but that is probably the reason we have the age limit, teens dont show their maturity. They think that they can do whatever they want, where really their desitions affect others. If it's a big MUST that the drinking age should be lowered then we should show that we are responsible. In the military you get taught to be diciplined, and selfcontroled. And it's not that we kill other people, we are defending our country. My Grandpa joined the service and he never shot anybody.

new1253 said...
on Apr. 6 2011 at 4:27 pm
Well I Aqree Because I FOR ONE have already experienced drinkinq ! Imm still alive, I Haven't Crashed a Car Or DROVE Over someone ! I Think They SHOULD lower the drinking age. Then When The teen qet drunk take their drinking riqhts away! Thats MYYY Opinoin

Fate98 GOLD said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 8:41 am
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other
11 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

well over here in the UK its 18 your aloud to drink, but it might get changes to 21 soon. Anyway my point is at 16 we are aloud to move and live on our own, get married and have a kid. But you would't be aloud to have a drink at your own wedding. It's stupid and you are right it should be lowerd.

on Apr. 4 2011 at 11:28 am
inspiredbytheworld BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
3 articles 5 photos 30 comments
I really don't mean to offend you, dylanfan, but I really don't think that you have a good point. There is a punishment for underage drinking because it is breaking the law. Alcohol, when consumed immodestly, is a big cause of accidents and deaths. Why should we let 19-and-20-year-olds get drunk and start getting in car accidents, when people older (and supposedly wiser) than them are doing it? Don't you see, to lower the drinking age would be like sending even MORE innocent people to an alcohol-related death? Now if you're truly interested in lowering the drinking age, I suggest you take this to Congress, but I assume that they would pitch the sam arguments that I do.

dylanfan28 said...
on Apr. 1 2011 at 5:19 pm
this comment is in response to xbiggie when you said "everybody drinks, your not that cool". and yes i agree with you.  people arent cool just because they drink and yes everyone does drink underage.  first of all you are never going to stop underage drinking.  so why ruin the lives of those kids that just happened to get caught drinking?  kids cant become teachers, lawyers, or get internships just because they got caught doing what everyone else is doing everyday.  the punishment is way to harsh for something that almost everyone does! the fact that im 20 and cant have a beer in my room is just stupid in my opinion. lets be realistic and lower that drinking age to 19. keep it out of high schools, but let the people out living on their own in college have the freedom of drinking.

dylanfan28 said...
on Apr. 1 2011 at 5:09 pm
I am 20 years old.  I believe nobody should be able to tell me what i can and cant do to my own body.  if I drive drunk, then give me a DUI. If i steal or damage property under the influence of alcohol then send me to jail.  But I think after 20 years, I should be able to drink a beer.  now, i cant even hold a beer in front of a cop without getting arrested yet in a few months i will be allowed to get trashed and nobody will say anything. its just stupid and doesnt make sense.

:(((((( said...
on Apr. 1 2011 at 9:18 am
you soo happy. 

:))) said...
on Apr. 1 2011 at 9:11 am

comment... :)

 


on Mar. 31 2011 at 11:52 am
inspiredbytheworld BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
3 articles 5 photos 30 comments
Thanks, I appreciate it! :)

on Mar. 30 2011 at 9:12 pm
RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other
1 article 4 photos 76 comments

Favorite Quote:
"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

our drinking age is eighteen, but even worse, britain can be 16 and younger. our brains dont completely develop till were 25, and do u think that drinking excessive amounts of alcohol is going to help. dont think so.

thats my opinion.


luckystarr96 said...
on Mar. 30 2011 at 4:26 pm
i soo agree with u.... 'YOUNG' adults (hence YOUNG) should not be drinking at all the drinking age should stay the same no matter what people say!

on Mar. 29 2011 at 7:49 pm
ffagirl96 BRONZE, Belle Plaine, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i agree 100%, innocent people shouldn't be getting hurt or killed, because someone is drunk

on Mar. 29 2011 at 5:45 pm
inspiredbytheworld BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
3 articles 5 photos 30 comments
I definitely agree with you on this one, xbiggie. Although it's not very nice to call the writer an idiot (it IS their opinion after all), you have a very valid point. The drinking age shouldn't be lowered, because then even MORE people would be running around getting drunk.

on Mar. 29 2011 at 5:41 pm
inspiredbytheworld BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
3 articles 5 photos 30 comments
Oh, and by the way, about you people pointing out the grammar mistakes? Yeah, it's spelled "GRAMMAR", not "GRAMMER"

on Mar. 29 2011 at 5:40 pm
inspiredbytheworld BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
3 articles 5 photos 30 comments
Uh, excuse me? Why should the drinking age be lowered when we already have underage, wasted teenagers getting in car accidents and killing people out of drunkeness? People overage still get themselves into serious legal trouble because they-even though they are 21 or older, can't handle alchohol. I understand that this is your opinion and I can't change it, but in MY opinion, the drinking age shouldn't be lowered, and the underage drinkers are going to jail for good reason, thank you.