Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:23 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

Most people who go into the army and actually see people die go to therapist to get there heads checked afterwards. They obviously can't handel that and this artical proves we can't handel drinking

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:21 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

I wouldn't do it off of this artical....You might want to do it off of the comments though.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:15 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

Nah. Not many people die during the war. :) it's a misconception led by the media.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:14 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

I totally agree. :) u should read my comment where me and a friend make a total butt out of this artical. LOL

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:13 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

and killings illegal. Wanna become our president and get rid of THAT law? Oh wait. HAHA ull be to drunk to run won't u?

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:11 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

Im failing to see your logic. but obviously what ur telling me is that you want to see 13 year olds trippin on there own feet, killing there liver, and possibly themselves? So...WHY NOT! I mean obviously Alchole is healthy since its americas most consumed TOXIN. :\ Yeah....totally see where your coming from.

on Jun. 3 2011 at 8:47 pm
Fangstorm_The_Vampire GOLD, Tehachapi, California

It's a bird!
It's a midget!
NO. it's...... EDWARD ELRIC.

Well, it is a pretty big issue. i don't think this would get rid of the problem. But it should help.

Rachel N. said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 6:04 pm
Well it's more of an issue of can we handle it. I'm sure that a majority would be able too. But, that doesn't make it ok for our health. Alcohol has serious negative affects on the growing minds and bodies of teenagers.

on Jun. 3 2011 at 5:22 pm
twix.n.pixi.stix7 GOLD, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"you can dream big
or you can dream small
the important thing
is that you're dreaming at all"
~me! haha i wrote that :)

i agree. they say "the forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest" so making drinking illegal almost encourages it. in other countries where anyone can drink, it is just a beverage. like soda or juice. we wouldnt try to get off pepsi, would we?

on Jun. 3 2011 at 12:13 pm
i love drinking im 17 an can handle it just fine idk why adults have to change the age to 21 like really why cant us teens drink we have problems to and drinking is fun an helps with stress

on Jun. 3 2011 at 10:27 am
Brittbyheart SILVER, Yucca Valley, California

No matter what you do in life, in the end, the only person that will take impact is you.

You dont join the military to just go out and kill random people. You join to stand up for your country. You protect the president, help find lost people, try to talk the other country outta bombing us. most people rarly kill people in the army.there are hundreds of things besides killing. js

on Jun. 3 2011 at 10:23 am

woot woot!

on Jun. 3 2011 at 10:22 am

I think the drinking age should NOT be lowered. People get murdered daily, so should that law be cancled too? So its legial to kill people? NO!!! The mind and body dont fully grow till you are in your 20s. and drinking kills, no matter if your young or old. If a 1 year old drinks, it will KILL their brain cells. The fewer cells means the fewer things the child can lear and without certain knolage, the child cant get a lot of jobs to continue to LIVE! What do you want for your kids, to be a succesfuol person, or a mentaly handicap trash man? DRINKING IS BAD! it doesnt matter if teens drink anyways, doesnt mean its ok for them.

on Jun. 3 2011 at 8:05 am
K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

Thats to young. Some people that age would be too reacless and inmuture. I think eighteen is went your considered an adult so thats went you can make the choice of drinking.

yoyoyoyoyo said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 7:20 am
if there mature enough to do it let them and if they can handle it let them

yoyowasup8 said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 7:16 am
i think that the legal age for drinking should be lowered to at least 13 or 14 what's the point if u already do it any ways!!!! people do it any ways and they break the law any ways SO LET THEM DO IT!!!!

Lama_lana said...
on May. 31 2011 at 1:35 pm
It should be lowerd for people going into the army. You should be able to have one last drink before you go to fight for your country cuz more then likely it could be your last

ToriM17 said...
on May. 25 2011 at 9:00 am
i so aqree with you

Meko8195 said...
on May. 19 2011 at 5:01 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

totally will :)

on May. 18 2011 at 1:41 pm
Roxanne29 BRONZE, St. Helier. Jersey. C.I, Other

"Never Regret... everything you regret, was something you wanted to do at the time, it makes you who you are today"

Really? I like in england and the age here is 18! But so many young people are getting hold of alchol anyway... In the US i dont think lowering it will make a difference, same as it wouldnt have a thing here. If people want to drink, then surley they will find a way to get it, no matter what the age limit is?.... love the post, just i think it wouldnt make a differnce. You would change it to 18 but i bet there would be the youngers ones who didnt really drink before who would rebelle againt the limit.. just because its 'more in reach' :)