Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

xx..PieIsAwkward..xx BRONZE, Godfrey, Illinois

"stap it, rahn"

I do not regret the rum in my coffee, nor the vodka in my orange juice, and I definitely do not regret the mouthwash that was 'accidentally' swallowed.

HAHA

Is she kidding?

Harvester said...
on Mar. 29 2011 at 10:59 am
Harvester, Coppell, Texas
In school we are taught that all drugs are bad and are very harmful to the body. Does that mean that they are suddenly healthy when you turn 21? No. People are too dumb to make the right decisions for themselves (drinking & driving), so the U.S. is stuck with the chore of dealing with other people's mistakes. For this reason, alcohol should be illegal.

on Mar. 29 2011 at 10:49 am
Cat.not.kat BRONZE, Bamberg, South Carolina

No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.

- Barbara de Angelis

The Drinking age should not be lowered. i don't care if youre 18. yes you are legally grown, BUT are you grown enough to make wise decisions. Look at all these wrecks happening with people under 18 who drink. Thats a good enough reason not to lower the age.

on Mar. 25 2011 at 8:35 am
xxbri14xx BRONZE, In, Pennsylvania

what doesnt kill us...makes us stronger<3

i agree with this article because if you are legally a adult at 18 why do you have to wait until 21  to drink? some 18 year olds can be as mature or sometimes even more mature then 21 year olds when you think about it, it all comes down to maturity...... some people just mess it up for the rest of us i believe thats why the law hasnt been changed

hunter1 said...
on Mar. 23 2011 at 7:41 am
I think that we would rather have a military and 18 year olds fighting for our country then a whole bunch of drunk roudey 18 year olds out driving and parting.

Muhaha said...
on Mar. 22 2011 at 9:36 am
It will never be lowered so grow a pair and deal with it like seriosly...... people dont want drunk kids coming into school although it would be funny its not gonna happen......

on Mar. 14 2011 at 11:17 am
It was lower in the 90s but you need better grammer word choice and a load of work

on Mar. 14 2011 at 10:22 am
this has inspired me to understand the health benefits and persuade me not to do this tell my former age, its very interseting

ben.perg30 said...
on Mar. 14 2011 at 9:13 am
i might just move 2 holland

on Mar. 13 2011 at 12:21 am
chellelinn95 BRONZE, Mariposa, California
1 article 1 photo 29 comments

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened". -Doctor Seuss

You have a some-what valid point. However, when you look at it in the medical perspective you find that you brain is not fully developed until around the age of twenty-four. The reason for the legal drinking age is protected by the constitution for it is saving your life because teens are not ready to take on the responsibility. When you turn eighteen studies show that you should have the maturity to vote and make proffesional decisions, but your brain still has a chance of being chemically altered with the consumption of alcohol. Teens will still drink if it is legal. When their parents allow them to drink alcohol in their home to the extent of intoxication that does not stop the teens from drinking. With that concept in place, why would they stop drinking irresponsibly if it were legal?

on Mar. 7 2011 at 10:42 am
CatherineK SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

“In all things it is better to hope than to despair”

There were a few spelling and grammar mistakes, but it was a good piece. You did a good job by backing up your point with research, but it never hurts to add more.

on Mar. 7 2011 at 8:18 am
pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire

It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart

I think I know what you are trying to say but the grammer and spelling were off by quite a bit.  Your supporting facts aren't very strong seeing that most of them are opinions.  If you had some statistics it might be a bit more believable. 

However, I do agree that if we can vote and join the military at age 18, we should be able to drink.  Overall, I like the topic but the article needs some editing and reviewing.

candyxboo said...
on Mar. 5 2011 at 8:36 am
This article is just doesnt make sense. you are trying t make point... that just dont work.. and they thing about reckless teen drinking.. yeah lowering the age wouldnt say anything.. and like that one girl said you are using opinions as supporting facts.. doesnt make sense..

BaadMamajama said...
on Mar. 4 2011 at 11:50 am
It's the internet, not a college application. Not everything has to be perfect. If you want to correct people or lecture them on their spelling, grammatical errors etc. go grade SAT essays or become an English teacher, biggiesmalls

jeremy hart said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 10:01 am
im black yo waddup

im cool said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 9:58 am

im black

nolle94 BRONZE said...
nolle94 BRONZE, Schinveld, Other

Carpe diem, Seize the Day

Come to Holland! The legal drinking age is 16 ;)

But we still have problems concerning alcohol. I could buy beer and cigarettes when I was 15...And drunk driving still occors...but maybe less than in the U.S. because we can't drive untill we're 18...we've learned how to handle alcohol before we drive...maybe that helps?

on Mar. 2 2011 at 7:58 am
ShattererofWorlds BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
I don't agree with this article, mostly because the one supporting argument for lowering the drinking age isn't based on fact. not everybody drinks underage. I respect your right to your own opinion, but writing an article based on one "fact" that you made up doesn't convince me.

For sure. I didn't mean to sound completely against drinking. However, I think too much importance is placed on it. People become consumed, and all their life becomes is tolerating work/school until the next party. I also hate those who feel rebellious for drinking underage. Everybody does it; you're not that cool.

starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida

*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

wow..Lol :D