Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida

*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

I agree xbiggie. Alcohol is serious stuff,with its consequences, and it requires a level of maturity in order to handle it. Not only that, but its just NOT good for u. I mean if u wanna damage your brain cells thats up to you but lowering the drinking age is simply not sensible In my opinion. "Breaking the law" is just another one of the many pointless"trends" in our society, and some trends like this one shouldn't be followed. I mean, what are you trying to accomplish?

on Mar. 1 2011 at 11:54 am
cesar valencia, Union City,ca, California
i agree 

KladyT said...
on Feb. 25 2011 at 10:21 am
You stated a very good argument. This was well developed , you even had evidence. I liked how you worded everything and i enjoyed your argument and i completely agree with you. I mean unfortunatly some people will always abuse their privelegdes but it should be a risk worth investing in. I think it will definately decrease under age drinking.

on Feb. 22 2011 at 2:36 am
Not only that, but your brain isn't developed either. Drinking before 25 heavily affects your decision making.

on Feb. 22 2011 at 2:34 am
Once again, the person agreeing with him is also the person who can't properly put a sentence together. Are all drinkers idiots?

on Feb. 22 2011 at 2:32 am
I'll tell you the biggest reason: So we don't end up as idiotic as you are. I couldn't hardly read this essay with all the spelling, grammar and syntax errors you made. Alcohol screws up your priorities and makes you less inteligent in the process. Get a clue, idiot.

Scarlett13 said...
Scarlett13, Hockessin, Delaware
by joining the military, the military fights for our freedom and protects our country by trying not to get terrorist in our country.  in my opinion, when you kill someone in war or in the military, its for good reasons so thats why the country allows it.  thats basically how they train them.  but anyway, on the subject of the drinking age should be lowered, then there are good and bad reasons also...  if they lowered the drinking age its fair, i mean you can vote at 18, you can go into the military at 18, why not add drinking at 18.  usually at 18 you can take care of yourself, but on the other hand kids that just turn 18 might not be responsible.  after all, they just got their license about a year ago.  more people between the age of 16 and 21 are killed by drunk driving or drunk drivers.  it's a pretty risky thing, but if they do follow through with this, there should be more state police out on the road at night.

destinyleighh SILVER, Mechanicville, New York
i agree 100% ,all teenagers find away to get it anyways so why not legalize it?

AthenaBook SILVER, Arlington, Virginia

You should not live the way the world asks, but the way that you ask of yourself.

Smoking is another age issue, but another one entierly. However, I do agree with what you said about how it is better if it is done openly and the person can get help. The problem is is that if you are legally allowed to do so, you cannot be cut off from drinking. It is a choice that you have to make. Smoking is the same. You need to accept that your body is just not ready for this kind of consumption. The other thing I feel that I MUST address is peer pressure. Yes, it is a part of life, but if you look at cases, you will find that the highest causes for underage drinking is indeed peer pressure. It's not a lame excuse- its a fact. The problem with drinking is that if you are depressed, ect., then you have the option to turn to drinking earlier. It affects what you do and your body is simply not ready for that. Talk with police officers, anybody. Kids (and yes, I am considering 18 to be childish) when to say "NO" if their friends are doing it. Drunk driving would also up- the gov't has had tests done: the drinking age was upped because of so many deaths and unhealthy decisions. It is not age discrimmination because it is really for your own safety. Check stats before you reply. The lowered age of drinking proved MUCH more dangerous, and for that reason, the gov't has upped it. It is a fact, nothing more.

menike_neko BRONZE, Howell, Michigan

"Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive any way."

I have to respectfully disagree. In high school I have learned more about drinking and drugs than anything else. They drowned us in pamphlets, help cards, and lectures and I have learned nothing about war except for reading the Red Badge of Courage. The book in itself is fiction but many critics praise it as being accurate as to how your mind breaks apart. Peer pressure is apart of life and is a lame excuse to use. If you are 18, voting for leaders, signing your life away, buying cigarets and K2 then how is it too young to learn to moderately drink? Kids will drink whether its legal or not, but in less amounts if its legal. Here [where I live] kids smoke 6 cigarrets a day untill they turn 18 and then suddenly it's not a habit and untill they are 18 they go to extremely great lengths to aquire it. So in my opinion it would be best if kids were able to learn and be able to make their own decisions and this way they can do it in public places and get help instead of hiding it or trying to cover up bad mistakes. It also happens to be age discrimination and goes against the constitution but I think that point is null; the government makes up all its own rules any way. 

AthenaBook SILVER, Arlington, Virginia

Why should a young teen be subjected to the decision of drink if they have no education on the matter? Many fall for peer pressure or some can't wait for the drinking age so when they do reach that age, they get plastered so much that they can die. Unlike war, alchol litteraly has the power to break your body. It will effect everything that you do. Going to war is a decision- not something you turn to if you are simply feeling depressed, ect. that leads to addiction and suicide.

menike_neko BRONZE, Howell, Michigan

Your body is not ready to be thrown into trash heaps at 18 either but we as people are allowed to sign our life away for "the good of the country" at that age. If we can make that decision why can't we make the decision to drink or not? 

AthenaBook SILVER, Arlington, Virginia

What you have written may be true, but please keep in mind that sometimes laws are for your own safety. There have been tests done to show that your body is not ready for alchohol until the age of 25. You do have strong points, but it is still unhealthy for teens to drink. Agreeing with what a certin "bubbagump" posted, I believe that teen drinking would happen even more because now the person knows that it doesn't have to be hidden. It can also affect schoolwork and other MAJOR life opportunities that only change because someone is under the influence of booze.

on Feb. 13 2011 at 9:45 am
bubbagump SILVER, Grand Junction, Colorado

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

I disagree with your oppinion. Usually, the crime and corruption of drinking happens when people don't know their own limits. I think that this crime and corruption would get even worse if the drinking age requirement was lowered. I do agree that almost every teen already drinks, but they are breaking the law, no matter how responsible they are with it. You do have good points, though, about the military age.

on Feb. 11 2011 at 10:06 am
Hawthorn BRONZE, Nowheresville, Maine

"Know Thy Enemy" Sun Tzu

yeah... When I was visiting germany and my dad had just orderd some beer at a resteraunt I was pretty curious as to what it would taste like so I asked for a sip and dad said it was ok, That was probably the best/healthiest thing that could have happend because, as I found out, Beer is unbeliveably bitter. I took a sip, made a very strange face, and spit it out into a near by potted plant. I will probably neaver have a desire to drink beer again. : p  

brodrick said...
i dont think your opinion is good because drugs can kill you and they are nastey and why would you want to drink....thats just nasteyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

jsmmity45 said...
this is a good way to let tens know so they wont do it at thta age

on Feb. 7 2011 at 11:08 am
teens should be allowed to drink becaus if they did, they would most likely be turned off by the idea of drinking all the time when they now know it's readily available. also, it teaches many young ones responsibility. with the way the world is now, it wouldn't make a difference for teens to be able to drink anyways. it's not as awful as the dumb "adults" make it out to be. when you're 18 you become an adult, yet you can't make your own decision to drink? that's quite ridiculous. you're not really an "adult" when you turn 18, because you still have the government making decisions for you. some people tick me off.(:

i disagree, usually people that choose to drink, dont know their limits,  and therefore, dont care about rules and laws to start with.........

K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts

See everything, Overlook a lot, Correct a little.

great points, i agree!