Unconquerable Soul (Previously known as Duty: To Heart) | Teen Ink

Unconquerable Soul (Previously known as Duty: To Heart)

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

Summary:

Bellona Kingsire is just trying to enjoy her life as the teenaged daughter of one of Sector 1's government Representatives. She spends her days riding her horse, hanging out with best friends Ian Benning and Piper Thomas, spending time with her friend and bodyguard Dudley McGrahm, trying to talk to her crush, and otherwise taking peace for granted. After all, the Chaos wiped out life as we know it over 80 years ago, and the half-billion people left spent enough time rebuilding a "foolproof" society in the midst of all the destruction that she can't see them wanting to fight ever again.

But not everyone feels that way. Behind closed doors, small evils are creeping in, bruised faces and hidden drugs. And in the Badlands - the areas deemed too damaged by chemical and nuclear war to be habitable - roaming tribes are getting restless. Their people are itching for war, and the people of the Coalition Sectors are deluded by peace. Unfortunately for Bella, Dudley, Ian, and Piper, they will find themselves in the middle when the carefully crafted world falls apart. Can they survive?

AsIAm

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Sounds an awful lot like The Hunger Games, I think I'll read it though. (: