Mom, I’m Gay | Teen Ink

Mom, I’m Gay MAG

I remember that day when I proudly stated, “Mom, I’m gay.” I felt liberated - until I realized that she wanted to push me out of the car. Liberation, all right. Good thing I wasn’t liberated from my seat belt.

I’ve always been one to test the waters. Sometimes the outcome is good, like admitting I’m gay, and sometimes the outcome is tragic, like that haircut in third grade.

I decided to tell her that night because she was mad at me already. Yes, and my parents call me the smart child. I felt the need to test the limits again. Besides, how much deeper could I dig myself?

Well, it turns out, pretty far.

“Mom, I’m gay.”

The car swerved to the left. Honk. Then to the right. Beep. As she straightened out, I realized I had just blabbed the secret of a lifetime; some people keep this inside their whole lives while I blurted it out on a car ride to my therapist’s office.

“No, you’re not.”

“Yes, I am,” I responded, just for the sake of contradicting her. “Look, I’m going out on a limb to tell you. It’s not easy for me.” Well, there it was. It just came out. Once I got going, it was pretty easy.

“I just want you to be normal. Don’t you want to be normal?”

“I do! This has nothing to do with being normal!” An argument. Things were getting interesting.

“Then fix it. Don’t be gay!”

Oh, if I could have screamed, I would have! Fix it? There’s nothing to be fixed! Toilets need to be fixed! My sexuality? Nope! Being gay isn’t something I could do anything about. I was mad, so I huffed and puffed in silence as she drove, white-knuckled, down the highway.

At the therapist’s office, I bawled about how unlucky I was to have a mother who lacked understanding, was uncaring and was a bad driver. The therapist called my mom in, saying the three of us needed to talk. I sensed a fiasco.

Mom walked in with a fake smile. I wanted to tell her to wipe it off, but that wasn’t what we were here for. She sat next to me and I started analyzing her every move. Okay, she sat down next to me. That’s good. Extra long blink. Not good. She doesn’t even want to look at me. She’s shifting in her seat. She’s uncomfortable. Or maybe she’s trying to get closer to me. Or farther away.

“Hello? Earth to you, dear.”

“Umm.” Perfect. I felt like an idiot. My therapist was being paid huge amounts of money to hear me say umm and analyze my mother’s every move? I was so busy looking at my mom that I’d completely missed what my therapist had been saying.

“I think you know that Mom loves you no matter what. And Mom, this isn’t an attention thing. I’ve known this for a while. It’s no big secret.” Well, not anymore!

We went home that evening pretending nothing had happened. I was careful not to distract my mother.

And today? Well, we’re getting along. I’ve learned to love the fact that I like girls and am secure in my sexuality, I’ve been able to tell other people. I’m not ashamed anymore. It’s who I am. Just like I’ll always mismatch my socks, I’ll always have a weakness for underwear shopping and hazelnut coffee, and I’ll always like girls. My mother may not exactly love it, but she can deal. But just wait until I bring home my first girlfriend!

peaches said...
on Oct. 17 2011 at 12:01 pm
love it b who u wanna be

Hideing BRONZE said...
on Sep. 25 2011 at 10:25 pm
Hideing BRONZE, Okc, Oklahoma

"We need to stop acting like our own dreams are the only thing that matters"
-ed-fullmetal alchemist

Lol my sister told my mom she was like this. " mom i'm BI" Mom:"ok..." Me(thinking): shut your big trap kinze don't you dare tell Kinze:"oh and so is KK(me) Mom:0.0" i hope your not doing stuff with eachother Me an kinze: EWWWW(fakes thows up) Mom:lol

Thaag BRONZE said...
on Sep. 7 2011 at 6:18 pm
Thaag BRONZE, Moore, Oklahoma

Life isnt about waiting for the storm to pass, Its about learning to dance in the rain

Good job!! It took forever to come out to my parents!

on Sep. 3 2011 at 12:24 pm
Anonymous_Me DIAMOND, Marble Hill, Missouri

"Life is but a walking shadow."

~Shakespeare (Macbeth)

=) you're brave. Wish I had courage like that x.x My mom has got to be the most judgmental person in the universe...

it's good that you told her, though. =) Be proud.

on Aug. 18 2011 at 7:11 pm
Sinister-Von GOLD, Shawnee, Oklahoma

never stop doing what you love, The past makes you who you are today. Live for today and not for tomorrow

I love this my dad is te same as the mother in the story i really injoyed this thank you so much

aveawave GOLD said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 9:02 pm
aveawave GOLD, Woolwich, New Jersey

"Be the angel you're sworn to be: spread your wings and fly" :)

this is really awesome! im glad you stood up for yourself! i legit read this about 4 times now, I just cant get enough of it! would you mind checking out some of my work? I only write poetry on here, but I need some advice.

MusicSoul666 said...
on Aug. 13 2011 at 12:02 am
MusicSoul666, New Haven, Connecticut

Wow, very nice.. But is she treating you the same, now?

I love it <3

on Aug. 12 2011 at 3:06 pm
TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan

If I could run away from my problems, I'd probably get lost, and then new problems would find me.
~Shelby Seeley

This is the second time I've read this and I'm still smiling come the ending. 

on Jul. 26 2011 at 6:42 pm
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

I don't know you, but I think I love you! I can totally relate, too. Although, my mom was very understanding, my ex-girlfriend's mom was a different story!

on Jul. 26 2011 at 6:38 pm
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

I don't know you, but I think I love you! I too am a lesbian in mismatched socks with a weekness for underwear shopping and hazelnut coffee (usually can't afford either of which, but I still love 'em)!! Much respect : 3

on Jul. 23 2011 at 2:54 pm
xXYourxRainXx BRONZE, Moyock, North Carolina

"Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there's a light nearby" -Amy lee

TEHE I'm proud of you even though i don't know you, i too wear mix match socks :) and i respect you! tehe

on Jul. 21 2011 at 7:23 pm
spiritwriter GOLD, Hicksville, New York

"It's not a matter of "can I change the world," it's about "how do I want to change the world?""
-Severn Cullis-Suzuki

most amazing thing I've read in such a long time. You have a strength about you that I could never imagine having. I myself have no way of telling my parents, and my mother would react the same way, even worse. And I don't have a therapist or someone to mediate or tell this to. Reading this has helped so much. You are inspiring!

on Jul. 21 2011 at 4:34 pm
stephie95 PLATINUM, Tripoli, Other
i admire your bravery and your ability to be so honest! you are really an amazing , brave and courageous person.

. said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 3:24 pm
congratulations on being honest with your mom. I applaud you hacing the guts to speak out like that. but be careful where you speak out- you can cause an accident doll. ne howz tho wow your really talented and ilove the peice. i wish everybody would have the guts to do what you did.

Bambi67 SILVER said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 3:12 pm
Bambi67 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Dean Acheson

love that you were very brave on telling your mom,many people go through the same personaly saying and it is difficult specially with our mom who never seen to know the reason why we were born this way but after all they are our mom and they love us not matter what. thanks for this =)

on Jul. 21 2011 at 12:57 pm
itlovedtohappen GOLD, Ocala, Florida
I think admitting you are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgender is a very courageous thing to do. It's a hard thing to do, especially with all of the discrimination and intolerance even in these modern times. I believe in gay rights and that while Christianity views homosexuality as wrong, God loves us all anyways and He will accept us. I'm not gay, but the judgement that people face isn't right. I have family members who are gay or lesbian and I love them anyways. I don't think people should have to hide and I am so proud of you. :) I'm sure you've inspired a lot of people, not only for gays to come out of the closet but for people to be honest to themselves about other issues.

on Jul. 21 2011 at 8:13 am
CookeysAndCream SILVER, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."-Augusten Burroughs

Wow! You're so brave! And I'm glad it all turned out alright. :)

hallie523 said...
on Jul. 20 2011 at 4:15 pm
hallie523, Seattle, Washington
How can there be right and wrong? It's just how they feel, who they are attracted to. They can't help it and they shouldn't try too.

kitkatt2136 said...
on Jul. 11 2011 at 1:16 pm

I'm glad this was written because it shows the strained relationship between mother and daughter. All mother-daughter relationships are like this in same way, regardless of the daughter's sexual orientation. Thank you for writing this and showing people like me that we are not the only ones who struggle with our mothers. I hope you and your mother have worked out your problems.

Side note: This is not the place to be bashing homosexuality. This is not a hate board-this is place to place constructive and encouraging comments. If you have something bad to say, journal about it. Don't make the rest of us endure your idiocy.

Sythan BRONZE said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 12:28 am
Sythan BRONZE, Livermore, California

"Do not fear to blister if you live a life in flame"

I feel so sorry for you, pick up a science book about Homosexuality and read it.

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare