Mom, I’m Gay | Teen Ink

Mom, I’m Gay MAG

I remember that day when I proudly stated, “Mom, I’m gay.” I felt liberated - until I realized that she wanted to push me out of the car. Liberation, all right. Good thing I wasn’t liberated from my seat belt.

I’ve always been one to test the waters. Sometimes the outcome is good, like admitting I’m gay, and sometimes the outcome is tragic, like that haircut in third grade.

I decided to tell her that night because she was mad at me already. Yes, and my parents call me the smart child. I felt the need to test the limits again. Besides, how much deeper could I dig myself?

Well, it turns out, pretty far.

“Mom, I’m gay.”

The car swerved to the left. Honk. Then to the right. Beep. As she straightened out, I realized I had just blabbed the secret of a lifetime; some people keep this inside their whole lives while I blurted it out on a car ride to my therapist’s office.

“No, you’re not.”

“Yes, I am,” I responded, just for the sake of contradicting her. “Look, I’m going out on a limb to tell you. It’s not easy for me.” Well, there it was. It just came out. Once I got going, it was pretty easy.

“I just want you to be normal. Don’t you want to be normal?”

“I do! This has nothing to do with being normal!” An argument. Things were getting interesting.

“Then fix it. Don’t be gay!”

Oh, if I could have screamed, I would have! Fix it? There’s nothing to be fixed! Toilets need to be fixed! My sexuality? Nope! Being gay isn’t something I could do anything about. I was mad, so I huffed and puffed in silence as she drove, white-knuckled, down the highway.

At the therapist’s office, I bawled about how unlucky I was to have a mother who lacked understanding, was uncaring and was a bad driver. The therapist called my mom in, saying the three of us needed to talk. I sensed a fiasco.

Mom walked in with a fake smile. I wanted to tell her to wipe it off, but that wasn’t what we were here for. She sat next to me and I started analyzing her every move. Okay, she sat down next to me. That’s good. Extra long blink. Not good. She doesn’t even want to look at me. She’s shifting in her seat. She’s uncomfortable. Or maybe she’s trying to get closer to me. Or farther away.

“Hello? Earth to you, dear.”

“Umm.” Perfect. I felt like an idiot. My therapist was being paid huge amounts of money to hear me say umm and analyze my mother’s every move? I was so busy looking at my mom that I’d completely missed what my therapist had been saying.

“I think you know that Mom loves you no matter what. And Mom, this isn’t an attention thing. I’ve known this for a while. It’s no big secret.” Well, not anymore!

We went home that evening pretending nothing had happened. I was careful not to distract my mother.

And today? Well, we’re getting along. I’ve learned to love the fact that I like girls and am secure in my sexuality, I’ve been able to tell other people. I’m not ashamed anymore. It’s who I am. Just like I’ll always mismatch my socks, I’ll always have a weakness for underwear shopping and hazelnut coffee, and I’ll always like girls. My mother may not exactly love it, but she can deal. But just wait until I bring home my first girlfriend!

on Dec. 22 2011 at 7:30 pm
fringesofinspiredlunacy SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland

I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

First of all-good for you for posting this. :/ Second of all, I thought it was very entertaining (I feel weird saying it, because it's about your life, but still). The ending seemed a bit rushed, though.

on Dec. 22 2011 at 6:04 pm
FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

Your writing style is very entertaining and while it has a kinda dark humor edge to it you kept it serious enough that the message and seriousness of the plot were maintained. Love it! Also you are a real inspiration for poeple, no matter what or who they are facing, to have the courage to do what they believe is right and be themselves.

on Dec. 22 2011 at 5:52 pm
FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

Honestly you cannot testify that someone is unhappy or empty inside simply because of their sexuality.

on Dec. 22 2011 at 5:48 pm
FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

While your mother may not understand I'm sure she will lvoe you no matter what. :)

on Dec. 22 2011 at 4:31 pm
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I agree 100% with this comment.

on Dec. 22 2011 at 4:27 pm
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

I really loved the meaning of this article. The sentence before the last was the epitome of my views on many controversial topics - I am who I am; deal with it. The only criticism I might have of this piece is that I felt as if the beginning was very well written, but as the story progressed it seemed as if you were rushing to finish. I would love to see this story elaborated even more.

Halcoyn BRONZE said...
on Dec. 22 2011 at 1:57 pm
Halcoyn BRONZE, Navi Mumbai, Other
You've got spunk!! It's a real nice change from all the mundane, mushy things people upload. Keep being honest, keep being fantastic. :)

Fia-fia BRONZE said...
on Dec. 22 2011 at 1:32 pm
Fia-fia BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland
This is great! As much as you say it was easy, it still must have been rather hard, especially as a family experience. Thank you for sharing! :)

on Dec. 2 2011 at 12:01 am
me too but nobody know i kind of deal with it in my head

on Nov. 30 2011 at 8:14 pm
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho

Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

Your courage is admirable, and so is your writing style.

byebye said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 6:47 pm
byebye, Nevermore, Other
Ditto. I felt just the same way.

byebye said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 6:46 pm
byebye, Nevermore, Other
You are so courageous, and I'm happy for you for finding your way and becoming comfortable in your own skin. While this was a good story, it almost seems that you lost interest in perfecting it toward the end. Nevertheless, good work! Don't stop writing. :)

maybesomeday said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 6:22 pm
Me too! I get so frustrated at my confusion sometimes.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 8:32 am
wishing4thebest2day GOLD, Redmond, Washington

"Giving will ultimately make you happier in life. It is rewarding for you to brighten up someone's day." -Anonymous

Great story! I loved it!

on Nov. 8 2011 at 6:40 pm
Wintergrl7 GOLD, Hopkinton, Massachusetts

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
—William Arthur Ward
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
—Daniel J. Boorstin

I love the beginning, but I feel like the last few paragraphs weren't written as well. 

on Nov. 8 2011 at 5:46 pm
Come-n-Gone GOLD, Unionville, Missouri

Isn't it funny how it only takes a few seconds to say hi, but forever to say goodbye?

I don't know exactly what I am... I look at girls and sometimes i think yeah i wouldn't mind dating her but i still like guys. I hope i find out what i am. and soon!

on Nov. 8 2011 at 5:24 pm
ThePeaceDaisy BRONZE, Albany, New York

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.” - Unknown
I will change this every week!

It was one time, no big deal.

on Nov. 8 2011 at 5:23 pm
ThePeaceDaisy BRONZE, Albany, New York

I will change this every week!

I loved it! That mom shouldn't deny that her daughter is gay. Good job, by the way. The story had great imagery and you could feel the emotions. And hopefully, other people will realize that they shouldn't make fun of people because of their sexuality and homosexuals will be inspired to be proud of themselves!

on Nov. 8 2011 at 5:11 pm
CHAOTICxxCUPCAKE BRONZE, Lee&#39s Summit, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I really like the story and I hope it works out for you, though you can't begin
"but" at the beginning of a sentence. I don't want to be a stickler, but I am very obsessive about grammar.

on Oct. 17 2011 at 12:04 pm
ThatGirlOverthere BRONZE, LaLaland, Other

"We Must
bring our own light
to the darkness" by poet Charles Bukowski
- about prouving yourself... I'm on my way to accomplish that!

You go girl!   :)   I hope your mom and everyone around you learns to accept you. And even if they don't, stay strong!

No one can tell you that your sexuality is wrong. It's not even a choice, so why make others feel horribel about their life? I didn't choose to be heterossexual.

I hope your article helps other people to assume (or understand) homossexuality. Good work!

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare