Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome idea. I mean, it's terrifying, but it's really interesting. Great piece of writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you very much! :)

jojo3 said...
This was a very interesting concept that really got me thinking, and the ending was partly plausible. There's a good chance that IS how our world could end, and i liked how all the events in the story basically led up to that. awesome!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 11:32 am
Thanks for commenting!

LittleFlutiePie said...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:35 am
I didn't think I'd like it when you said aliens controlled us. But this was actually pretty neat. you should expand on it, make some human characters, maybe have on of them crazy enough to realize the truth. Really cool :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting! :) But no, I'm not expanding on this.

M-star said...
Wow, this is so cool! Honestly, I found it very interesting to read. After I was done, I actually started thinking what if we were just characters being controlled. I write stories all the time and I can't imagine my life being planned by someone else like I devise my characters. Brilliant! Awesome job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 7:55 am
Thanks for commenting! I'm glad it made you think; that's the purpose of it.

alligator6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is awesome! i love your creativity in your writing and you keep it interesting. nice work :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
I'm glad you liked it! :) Thank you!

babyrex4 said...
Wow this is so brilliant! Its different from anything I ever read, you have a great imagination! Keep writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting! :)

sany.lastflame said...
I found this short story to come off really strong. The beginning was interesting and kept me reading, which is great becasue not many things can do that lately. I like your writing style and it's definitely not boring. I like how you ended it, also, great word choice and diction. Overall, 5/5, honestly, great work!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the detailed comment!

Fabala_G said...
Wow this was creative!! I love it! Also almost persuasive, you make the idea of aliens controlling our lives seem almost plausible! This was great!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for commenting! :)

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes said...
First, I want to point out how difficult it is for me to give a critique on this story. The plot was original, humourous, and light, though it was short. I liked the idea of all the bad things that haplened in humanity's lives revolved around the aliens who "wrote out" the humans' lives. I also liked the overall tone of the story; it was not stiff or boring, and it kept my attention to the very end. I also like how you had no grammatical or punctuation mistakes. It makes me incredibly happy to s... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks very much for the detailed critique! I'm still working on yours.

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes replied...
Ah! The reason it's difficult to critique is because there is nothing I can correct. :)

Chrysaora said...
It's an interesting idea. I would suggest reading a story called Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke. It runs on almost the same lines, but differently. I liked this story though. It tells us to take control of our own destinies and such. Very good!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 8:31 am
Thanks for commenting! :)