Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Jan. 8 2012 at 5:50 pm
Fabala_G BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado

"Try to learn to breathe deeply,
really to taste food when you eat,
and when you sleep, really to sleep.
Try as much as possible to be
wholly alive, with all your might,
and when you laugh, laugh like hell,
and when you get angry, get good
and angry. Try to be alive. You will
be dead soon enough."
William Saroyan

Wow this was creative!! I love it! Also almost persuasive, you make the idea of aliens controlling our lives seem almost plausible! This was great!

on Jan. 8 2012 at 5:04 pm
TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes SILVER, Sunnyvale, Texas

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
- C. S. Lewis

Ah! The reason it's difficult to critique is because there is nothing I can correct. :)

on Jan. 8 2012 at 5:03 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks very much for the detailed critique! I'm still working on yours.

on Jan. 8 2012 at 5:03 pm

- C. S. Lewis

First, I want to point out how difficult it is for me to give a critique on this story. The plot was original, humourous, and light, though it was short. I liked the idea of all the bad things that haplened in humanity's lives revolved around the aliens who "wrote out" the humans' lives. I also liked the overall tone of the story; it was not stiff or boring, and it kept my attention to the very end. I also like how you had no grammatical or punctuation mistakes. It makes me incredibly happy to see excellent grammar! :) If I had to rate this (which I will), I would give this light and funny sci fi article a 5/5.

on Jan. 4 2012 at 8:31 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

Chrysaora GOLD said...
on Jan. 3 2012 at 9:04 pm
Chrysaora GOLD, Providence Forge, Virginia
It's an interesting idea. I would suggest reading a story called Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke. It runs on almost the same lines, but differently. I liked this story though. It tells us to take control of our own destinies and such. Very good!

on Jan. 2 2012 at 2:48 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Jan. 2 2012 at 2:03 pm
I was confused at first because I was thinking in a human mindset and not a foreigner but then I understood. It is a very interesting concept to grasp. Maybe our world will end like that...

on Jan. 2 2012 at 1:53 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the thoughtful comment! :) I appreciate your take on it, especially since I didn't intentionally write it to be 'punk.'

on Jan. 2 2012 at 1:52 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Jan. 2 2012 at 1:52 pm
satellite23 GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio

Prove it.

Very interesting idea, and i liked the political bash at the end. It was, in a way, 'punk,' which i love writing and reading about. It was just a bit too short and felt like there was something missing.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 1:52 pm
CaptainStar BRONZE, Estancia, New Mexico

Your limit is what you make it.

This was very interesting. Makes me wonder if we really are being controlled by aliens. Good job.

on Dec. 30 2011 at 9:14 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Dec. 30 2011 at 9:08 pm
Jetsrock10210 SILVER, Briarcliff, New York
Intriguing plot, great use of metaphor to eventually come up with a striking thesis. Keep up the good work! :)

on Dec. 30 2011 at 5:17 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much! :)

emma88 said...
on Dec. 30 2011 at 3:56 pm
really creative and a great idea

on Dec. 28 2011 at 3:23 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)

on Dec. 28 2011 at 3:19 pm
Cheshirekat SILVER, Boise, Idaho

“A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Oh you can't avoid that; we're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat

Interesting. Almost creepy, like the part about paranoid world leaders.

on Dec. 27 2011 at 7:30 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks very much! :)

on Dec. 27 2011 at 5:21 pm
HarperLee BRONZE, Lanchester, North Carolina
THIS IS SO WEIRD....I love it. Five stars.

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!