Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Jan. 4 2013 at 8:35 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

You're too kind.  Thanks so much for making my day! :)

on Jan. 2 2013 at 4:15 pm
TommieLeah GOLD, Lagos, Other

Be a first rate edition of yourself, not the second rate edition of another.

This is sheer brilliance intoxicated with innovation, and a hint of humourous truth.

on Dec. 23 2012 at 3:10 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)         

on Dec. 16 2012 at 4:02 pm
transparantspirit434 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. -Hebrews 13:5

That blew my mind. Nice concept!

on Nov. 24 2012 at 10:41 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

You may be right!  Thanks for commenting! :)

on Nov. 23 2012 at 12:30 pm
sssalamanders BRONZE, Sanford, Michigan

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass; It's about learning how to dance in the rain. -Anonymous

Oh you silly author, world leaders don't need aliens to give them paranoia ;) Cool concept!

on Nov. 12 2012 at 11:55 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

It sounds like everyone secretly suspects this.  It's not just you!  Thanks for commenting. :)

on Nov. 11 2012 at 8:47 pm
Pegasisus BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

There is nothing more soothing to the soul than lying in the cool grass near the shoreline on a warm, breezy summer day, inhaling the deep green pine trees surrounding the gently undulating blue pond that someone you despise is drowning in.

Omigod, is it weird that I think this exact same thing every day??  Really great story, by the way. :3

on Oct. 30 2012 at 11:37 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Somehow I don't think world leaders need aliens to give them paranoia.  Anyway, thanks for commenting!

on Oct. 29 2012 at 11:30 am
xBaByGiRrL22x PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"The goal isn't to live forever, but create something that will."
"If you wanna go, baby let's go; if you wanna rock, I'm ready to roll.''
"No one ever said it'd be easy. They just said it'd be worth it." <3

This is an awesome idea. I love how everythings flows and fits. You're a very good writer and this even had me thinking. I loved the "Let's give the world leaders bad cases of paranoia". ;) great job!

on Oct. 17 2012 at 9:54 am
LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other

Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

Haha! You're welcome! :)

on Oct. 16 2012 at 9:16 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Of course it's not happening now.  And of course aliens aren't making me write that... ;)  Thanks for the comment!

on Oct. 12 2012 at 12:09 pm

Aha! This wouldn't surprise me if this was happening already!  This probably happened during WW1.. 

on Sep. 1 2012 at 9:31 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I'm glad you liked it! :)  However, I am not active on Teen Ink any longer and have no time to check out your work.

on Aug. 27 2012 at 6:35 pm
RandiRose SILVER, New York, New York

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

Fantastic idea!!!! I would have never thought of that! Will you please check out my writing? I would love some feedback.

on Aug. 19 2012 at 11:33 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much!  I guess I touched on a subject a lot of people contemplate.

Setizia GOLD said...
on Aug. 19 2012 at 1:54 pm
Setizia GOLD, Darnestown, Maryland

The purpose of life is to search eternally for the purpose of life

Gosh, you seem to have read my mind completely. Several days ago I was comtemplating the same exact idea, except without the apolcolyptic debate. But other than that, terrific tone, straightforward, firm, yet familiar. Also, unlike other articles, I needed no further explanation of events :D

on Aug. 13 2012 at 10:14 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

HudaZav SILVER said...
on Aug. 8 2012 at 2:58 pm
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Amazing work! I never see unique work and plots, but i loved this. =)You dont have to, but if you have time, mind reading my poem "Boomerang"? Once again, I love your work. gr8 job

on Jul. 30 2012 at 8:44 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Uh, thanks?  That sounds good.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!