Characters | Teen Ink

Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Dec. 14 2011 at 7:04 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks so much! :)

on Dec. 14 2011 at 7:03 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!                

on Dec. 14 2011 at 6:58 pm
C.Erickson BRONZE, Wausau, Wisconsin

"Begin at the begining and go on till you come to the end; then stop"- Lewis Carol's 'Alice in Wonderland'

That was great! Amazing job!!!!!!!!

on Dec. 14 2011 at 6:57 pm
carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

dont give up she will talk someday my friend made this quote she is really cool cause she understands about my sister
it starts with ONE to make a differerence!!! i learned this quote at a leadership camp

ohana means family no one gets left behind

thats really really good

on Dec. 13 2011 at 6:20 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

Matice BRONZE said...
on Dec. 13 2011 at 6:19 pm
Matice BRONZE, O&#39Fallon, Missouri

"Maria, first, let me say that you will most certainly regret it. Second, let me say that I'm in."-Smith

Aww, so cute. It really got me thinking. Very nice job!

on Dec. 13 2011 at 3:23 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, Caution! :)

on Dec. 13 2011 at 2:25 pm
SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

"Don't call me crazy, it drives me nuts!"

~Anonymous

Hey Carrie! This story is epic! Seriously awesome job! :)

on Dec. 12 2011 at 9:00 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)

Acastillo GOLD said...
on Dec. 12 2011 at 8:59 pm
Acastillo GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

Just because you have flaws, doesn't mean you aren't beautiful ~Zayn Malik

I liked it, it was very creative and different than any thing I have ever heard!

on Dec. 12 2011 at 7:22 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

Jayle BRONZE said...
on Dec. 12 2011 at 7:20 pm
Jayle BRONZE, Buffalo Center, Iowa
Interesting idea! Would definately explain some of the crazy things that go on in the world today.

on Dec. 9 2011 at 9:25 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)  I'm glad you liked it so much.

on Dec. 9 2011 at 9:24 pm
whateverjuliet BRONZE, Miami, Florida

true love never dies,it only gets stronger with time.

AMAZING! I swear, one of the best articles i have ever ead, no lie! it was enlightening!!!!!!!!!

on Nov. 27 2011 at 4:52 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)         

on Nov. 27 2011 at 4:50 pm
AmieeHope-Sierra GOLD, Royston, Georgia

And There Will Come A Time, You'll See, With No More Tears. And Love Will Not Break Your Heart, But Dismiss Your Fears.

Amazing I loved it!

on Nov. 27 2011 at 4:46 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Nov. 27 2011 at 4:45 pm
thejesusfreak SILVER, Bradenton, Florida

"ok so your hated... so what? Embrace it! you are who you are and dont forget it."

At first I was skeptical on wether I should keep reading the story. However I did enjoy how you mentioned free will. Keep writing!

on Nov. 27 2011 at 2:49 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment!  And the build-up was supposed to seem casual.  I like to tackle world issues with a bit of humour.

on Nov. 27 2011 at 2:48 pm
GretaGibson PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other
I like how you are predicting our world will end, it was entertaining, but the build up seemed very casual to me

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare