Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Jul. 30 2012 at 8:44 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

on Jul. 27 2012 at 9:07 pm
MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton

Hi Carrie Ann, you just blew my mind, in more ways than one.

on Jul. 27 2012 at 6:59 pm
albinotiger GOLD, Gloucester, Massachusetts

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win"- Stephen King
“In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate”- Isaac Asimov

lol that is so funny :D I love it (any aliens reading this please leave me with a happily ever after) and maybe check out my work sometime

on May. 19 2012 at 7:58 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Haha, thanks leafy.  I wouldn't call myself 'famous', though.  ;)  Thanks for commenting!

leafy said...
on May. 19 2012 at 12:03 pm
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Haha Carrie Ann, I didn't know you were this famous! XD This piece had caught my eye because it kind of goes along with one of my pieces ("The Interview," if you're curious), about the relationships between characters and their Creators. We each explained it a bit differently, but I thought it was cool how our ideas were kinda related. Anywau, nice job!

on May. 1 2012 at 12:06 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

You're too kind! :)  Thank you so much for commenting and making my day.

on Apr. 30 2012 at 6:06 pm
fanglover101 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

"there is nothing to fear but fear it's self"

wow you are the best writter and i thought i may be good but you your great

on Apr. 3 2012 at 10:15 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!

LunaLives GOLD said...
on Apr. 3 2012 at 12:08 pm
LunaLives GOLD, South Bend, Indiana

Because I can!-Me "Life is a choice and death is a decision"-Lil Wayne

And you did so splendidly!

on Mar. 14 2012 at 9:02 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment! :)  But no, I'm not expanding upon this.

Ariya GOLD said...
on Mar. 14 2012 at 3:24 pm
Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
-Alfred (Batman Begins)

This was really good!  I love that story line that our actions aren't our own and I would love it if you expanded and made a short story or something.   

on Mar. 6 2012 at 4:49 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Regia SILVER said...
on Mar. 6 2012 at 1:41 pm
Regia SILVER, Greenville, South Carolina

You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same.
We're only young once, but with humor we can be immature forever.
If you're going to get into trouble for hitting someone, you might as well do it hard.
After a game, the king and the pawn go in the same box.

This was an absolutely BRILLIANT, and I mean brilliant, story idea, but you definitely need to work on making it more of a story than just telling us what happened. This style is good for some things, like writing essays, but I think that maybe you should try a more "taking the reader to the scene and letting them see it for themselves" approach. If you don't want to do this, it's your own story, and it's really good just the way it is, but just as something to think about. Other than that, as others have said before, this whole idea just kinda blew my mind. It's very interesting, indeed.

on Mar. 4 2012 at 12:58 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Mar. 3 2012 at 11:43 pm
SpreadUrWingzNFly BRONZE, Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Wow, that totally just blew my mind

on Mar. 3 2012 at 4:50 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

on Mar. 3 2012 at 2:39 pm
TheLiberalist BRONZE, Briarcliff Manor, New York

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all" -Oscar Wilde

Brilliant!!! 

on Feb. 29 2012 at 7:56 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much! :)  But I'm not going to expand on it.

on Feb. 27 2012 at 8:15 pm
CassieTheSpartan, Blue Springs, Missouri

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

Wow, This was indeed a wonderful idea. You should expand on it, really there is so much depth waiting to be written here. I have to say great great piece of writing. :) I can't wait to see if you take it farther. :D

on Feb. 23 2012 at 2:04 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment! :)  I was going for a comical beginning, but a somewhat serious ending with some meaning to it.  That's just how I write; I try to add humour, but with a meaning.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!