Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Nov. 27 2013 at 5:17 pm
MistyVenture GOLD, Newman Lake, Washington

“If you’re going to be a writer, the first essential is just to write. Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow.” —Louis L’Amour

The end is really funny to me, because thats about the truth to the story. Not just leaders but the whole world. Interesting idea, I bet you could probably make a good story out of it and draw it further. Maybe a sci fi book or something?

Red546 GOLD said...
on Oct. 30 2013 at 3:55 pm
Red546 GOLD, Warrenton, Georgia
Genius! Now I know who to blame. :) I will certainly be telling people about this one.

JulieBakur said...
on Oct. 28 2013 at 12:55 pm
This is a really cool idea. Kind of makes you think. Thanks for sharing! 

on May. 9 2013 at 1:31 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for such a thoughtful comment! :)  Yes, if only we could just blame the aliens.  Life would be much simpler then.

on May. 4 2013 at 5:02 pm
missm1126 BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California
Great piece. I wish in reality it was that easy; that we could just blame aliens for our society's downfall. I wrote a piece similar to this not too long ago I really liked your voice, it seemed to follow a natural speech pattern instead of  the forced, overworked and choppy style that I've seen far too much of. Very thoughful, if I were to change anything (and really this is just a matter of personal preference) I would alter the introduction to statements instead of questions. Nice work! keep writing! :D

on Apr. 2 2013 at 3:02 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for the thoughtful comment. :)  Unfortunately, I would like to decline reading your work as I am not active on Teen Ink.  I only respond to comments on my articles now that I have moved on to other things.

Izanami BRONZE said...
on Mar. 31 2013 at 9:53 am
Izanami BRONZE, Reston, Virginia

I'll be a story in your head. But that's okay - we're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? 'Cause it was, you know. It was the best.

-- Eleventh Doctor, Doctor Who

This wasa really good article. I liked how you formed this off of the concept that we don't have free will, only an illusion that becomes reality later on. But I felt that your dialogue was somewhat abrupt, but otherwise perfect. I liked how you made the aliens seem all the more human by making their dialogue seem like a normal conversation. And could you please read my article? It's my first ever on Teen Ink, and I'd like to have someone with more experience than me look over it.

on Mar. 12 2013 at 3:46 pm
Miniterror GOLD, Yuma, Arizona

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

It's not very detailed. It's almost like their are only two or three of them discussing a very important topic. It needs a setting for them to be in that creates a more commanding feel. And they should be a bit more formal, it's not like all of them command a kid right?

on Mar. 10 2013 at 7:45 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for your feedback James.  This article is meant to be a story read aloud like David Eagleman's Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives.  It's supposed to tell you what's going on.  As for your criticism about the alien dialogue, see my comment to Miniterror below.

on Mar. 10 2013 at 7:44 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

How do you think the alien dialogue could be improved?  I meant for it to be casual and very human because they control humans.  Therefore humans speak like aliens and not the other way around. :)  Thanks for commenting!

on Mar. 10 2013 at 7:43 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

My advice?  Just develop your own style.  Write, write and write some more.  And don't force ideas; they'll come to you.

on Mar. 10 2013 at 7:42 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for your feedback, but I will not be reading your article.  I'm inactive on Teen Ink; I've moved on to better things.

on Mar. 10 2013 at 7:41 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  It just came to me one day at work.  I can't really explain it. :)

on Mar. 2 2013 at 1:00 pm
BlackbeltJames GOLD, Reading, Other

Isaac Asimov - "Intelligence is an accident of evolution, and not necessarily an advantage.”

It is a good piece which is targetted to give the reader a lot to think about, which is good. However, at the beginning you are very upfront about the facts which makes you ask: who is the narrator? The narrator refers to the aliens as aliens so they cannot be the aliens themselves, and they cannot be human as otherwsie they would not have this knowledge. It is just a thought to maybe help improve your writing as the idea is brilliant, but at the beginning you appear to be spoon feeding the reader and giving them a constant stream of facts rather than creating a story as such.The alien dialogue is also too human, it appears to be a casual human talk; try to give them a unique aspect as to how they speak or use words i.e. they use more technical language due to a superior intelligence or vice versa etc. This is just nit-picking  though to try and help you improve, but otherwise this is a great short piece.

on Feb. 19 2013 at 6:15 pm
Miniterror GOLD, Yuma, Arizona

It's a good piece; I like the rising up to fight back concept. Though, I think the alien dialect could be improved.

Jaki913 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 13 2013 at 6:27 pm
Jaki913 BRONZE, Apopka, Florida

"Maybe on the outside I'm not your typical guy, but up here I am."

this is the exact kind of thing i would like to say with my writing but have no idea how to say it... any advise?

on Feb. 6 2013 at 7:07 pm
You could have more about the aliens, but I really loved it. :) Read my article!

on Feb. 4 2013 at 9:27 pm
Nathan Dellston BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
Amazing. How did you ever think of this?

on Jan. 14 2013 at 11:33 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Well I'm sorry for making you paranoid, but I'm glad that my writing had such a profound effect!

on Jan. 6 2013 at 6:24 pm
_Kristen_ BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

"Crying? Nah. Lift you head up, princess. Your tiara is falling off."

This is extreamly amazing.  I just discovered the t.v. show Doctor Who, which deals a lot with ailens, and now I have that deep parinoia that they would do something exactly like that. Probably will never happen, but that adds to the overall mystery of the piece.

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!