Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose: Review on Season 3 Finale of Friday N | Teen Ink

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose: Review on Season 3 Finale of Friday N

April 8, 2014
By ShaunMcKinnonQb1 BRONZE, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
ShaunMcKinnonQb1 BRONZE, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every man at some point in his life is gonna lose a battle. He's gonna fight and he's gonna lose. But what makes him a man is that in the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself."
-Eric Taylor


“ When Jason Street went down the first game of the season everybody wrote us off, everybody. And yet here we are in the championship game. Forty- thousand people out here have already written you off. There are a few out there who still believe in you and will never give up on you. When you go back on the field those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people who I want in your hearts. Every man at some point in his life will lose a battle, he is gonna fight and he is gonna lose. But what makes him a man is that, in the midst of the battle he does not lose himself. This game is not over, this battle is not over. So lets here it one more time together, Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose! Let’s go!” This is a quote from the great Coach Eric Taylor. His High School football team handled adversity so well and made it to the championship game. This speech was from season one. It seems as if season three has changed roles. A new team, a new spirit, but the same goal, make it to State. Season three is all about change. The main Characters Matt Saracen and Tim Riggins are seniors. This will be the last season these men will be able to put on the Panther Uniform. This will be the last season Saracen and Riggins can carry around Panther pride. Matt Saracen took over for the injured Jason Street in season one. He started the rest of the year and lead his team to a State title. He was also quaterback one in season two. However, a new player comes into town by the name of JD McCoy. JD McCoy is one of the best quarterback prospect in the state of Texas. Saracen eventually loses his starting job. This is another symbol of change. The Panthers, led by the young gun JD McCoy, advance it to the State Championship game. This is the game that separates the men from the boys. The Panthers take the lead late in the fourth quarter. However, the high powered offense of Texas Southern drives right down the field and kicks a field goal to win the game. This was a sad time for the seniors, they played their last game in a panther uniform. Tim Riggins after the game battered and bruised. However, he was still standing tall. He walked out onto the field and laid his cleats down. The symbol of change is apparent again. We find out that after the game, due to lack of governmental funds, the town of Dillon Texas will have to redistrict. This means that people west of the lien will go to West Dillon High School and the people to the east of the line will go to East Dillon High School. At first we think that the great Coach Taylor will continue to be head coach at West Dillon. However, that is simply not the case. Due to a vote, Coach Taylor was thrown from his position at West Dillon and he was offered the job at East Dillon. This was a bombshell of an announcement. Coach Taylor who has built a program and went to two State Title games and won one of them was fired! It seems as if the writers are hinting to the object of change again. Also, it is apparent to me that the message of this season finale is that nothing lasts forever and good things will eventually come to the end. After the game, Tim’s brother Billy got married. This was a huge change for the Riggins brothers because, they have lived together for all their lives. Their father is absent and their mother is a drug addict. The Riggins brothers would pull each other from their bootstraps and keep grinding everyday. Tim is going to college and Billy says if he does not go he can not stay with him. Billy says there is just not enough room for him at his house. Billy is going to be having his wife, Mindy live with him now and he is having a baby. There is simply no room for Tim at his house. Again, this finale is based upon change. It is sad that high school has to end. However, everything comes to an end at some point. Even the unstoppable Dillon Panthers came to an end after they played their final game with Matt Saracen and Tim Riggins. Now that Coach Taylor does not wear the panther blue and he now wear the Lion red, who knows what will happen the the football program at West Dillon. This episode is almost like a passing of the torch. Saracen passes the torch to his successor JD McCoy and Riggins being the man he is will pass the torch off to nobody. Tim will always be a Panther. Let me tell you something, after watching this finale of Friday Night Lights, I feel like a new human being. I feel the Panther pride running through my veins. This tv show inspires me to be the best man that I can be. I now know that a man will lose a battle even if he fights hard. You can not lose yourself in the battle. I It goes to show you that change will eventually happen. It is up to you if you let change concur and feel sorry for you self. Or do you trust that you can adapt to the change and be the best person you can be. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose.


The author's comments:
"Every man at some point in his life is gonna lose a battle. He's gonna fight and he's gonna lose. But what makes him a man is that in the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself."
-Eric Taylor