The White Album by The Beatles | Teen Ink

The White Album by The Beatles

October 30, 2014
By juwia SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
juwia SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

When you hear the name ‘The Beatles’ almost every single time, the person you are talking to will know who they are whether young or old. In my opinion, the White Album is the most underrated Beatles album.  Not only is it the longest album, but it is also the most diverse featuring an 8 minute song that plays backwards, tons of hidden clues on it from the famous ‘Paul McCartney is dead’ mystery and even has vocals from every Beatles member.  Another interesting thing about this album is that the cover of it is completely white with small imprinted letters of ‘The Beatles’, which is very fitting to the name making it literally ‘the White Album’.
One of the many highlights of this album I would say is the song “Happiness is a Warm Gun” which is a very powerful song written and sung by John Lennon. Anyone who is a fan of The Beatles could easily tell that the song is sung and written by John Lennon due to the hardcore background music, accompanied by his raspy voice. I would say this song is one of my favorites due to the fact that listening to it is feels like a rollercoaster ride, you never know what’s going to come next. The song starts off with a bit of a whisper, with very poetic words like “she's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane” before hearing the loud bass, beating through your speakers. As the song continues to have this very distinctive beat, it surprises you as it starts to become more uplifting and builds up until it goes into more of the ‘upside’ that John feels in this song. The harmonies in the background of John’s voice fit so well in the end which is just a big chunk of what makes the song so good.
   Another highlight I would choose from this album would be “Dear Prudence”. This song happened to also be written and sung by John Lennon, which is ironic considering Happiness is a Warm Gun had been so raw and depressing while Dear Prudence is very uplifting and calming. The song starts off with a calming and charming guitar playing before the bass comes in to compliment the song.  John’s voice accompanied by the harmonies of Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Mal Evans, and Jackie Lomax blends together so well making this song truly a masterpiece. This song was very simple, but touching lyrics like, “The sun is up, the sky is blue, it's beautiful, and so are you” and the melodic harmonies, made this song a work of art.
If I had to choose a negative of this album it would be the song “Revolution 9”. Revolution 9 happened to be the longest song on the album, and the longest song that The Beatles had ever released going over eight minutes. The song starts off with a slow piano theme before hearing John Lennon speak the words over and over again, “number nine” before panning over to loops, voice distortions and tapes playing backwards. During this song, not only is it a bit eerie but you don’t really know what’s going on.  This song was placed on the album solely for experimental purposes, and it truly does depict the Beatles wild and experimental style. Although Revolution 9 wasn’t a success, not only with me but many other critics, that’s the only negative I have about the album. And regardless, it’s one of the last songs on the album so whether or not you enjoy the song, all you have to do it turn it off.
Overall, this album was a huge success in my eyes and I hope I could somewhat depict this through this review because five paragraphs just aren’t enough to explain the masterpiece that this album is. Other than Happiness is a Warm Gun, and Dear Prudence, some more songs I would recommend to anyone are, “I Will”, “Julia”, “Mother Nature’s Son”, ”I’m So Tired”, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”, and “Glass Onion”. If you have an hour and thirty three minutes, I would recommend just listening to the full thing through because each song is truly a stunning success in its own way.