Saves the Day - Stay What You Are | Teen Ink

Saves the Day - Stay What You Are MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Saves the Day's "Stay What You Are" was one ofthe most unique albums of 2001. After moderate success with two previous albumson Vagrant Records, they finally broke through with this album. Its catchy guitarriffs and haunting vocals landed them an opening spot on Green Day and Blink182's Pop Disaster Tour.

The first track is the catchy and chilling"At Your Funeral." This is a great opener to represent the record. As Ilistened I was taken aback by the lyrics. The music is a unique blend of emo,punk and progressive alternative rock, yet the lyrics are quite dark and speak ofdeep sadness.

"Freakish" is a song with a relatable chorus aboutteenage awkwardness and rejection, laced with melodrama. The lasttrack,"Firefly," is the fastest paced song on the album and brings itto a climactic end.

Saves the Day have thrust themselves into theforefront of punk music, so if the same old punk song and dance is getting dry,then get a drink of the Saves the Day water.

i love this so much!

on Feb. 22 2012 at 5:27 am
I'm 99% sure I wrote this review when I was a high school junior in Mrs. Boerner's English class. Is there anyway I can get information on how you found this piece. I know it ran in the print version of Teen Ink