Zombieland | Teen Ink

Zombieland MAG

July 24, 2010
By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
177 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Man, it was a pleasure to rewatch this film. I had forgotten its many interesting, humorous, and charming elements. It's a horror-comedy, so there's a fair balance between gore and hilarious gags/one-liners. The film follows in the footsteps of “Evil Dead II” and “Shaun of the Dead,” balancing between two genres that are usually complete opposites. Though it's not as fantastic as those films, “Zombieland” is a hilarious and enjoyable romp through a zombie apocalypse.

The film follows a group of survivors who are named after the locations they're headed to, in a world that's become overrun by the undead horde. The characters are fantastic, well-written, and extraordinarily lovable. Each has his/her own brand of humor, creating a diverse cast with plenty of memorable moments. Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), for instance, is a down-and-dirty zombie killer who, it turns out, has a heart of gold. Lovable and with a charming sense of depth, the characters serve as both a comedy troupe and a heartwarming family.

But you can't make a great zombie film without effective visuals. The film perfectly captures the essence of a post-apocalyptic world and feels like a description pulled out of Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide. Everything from effects to costumes is completely authentic.

I loved the pacing as well. Because of the enrapturing characters and interesting concept, the film never drags. In fact, it seems to end quickly because of how easily viewers are sucked into the plot. A film that leaves you wanting more is truly a success.

My only complaints are the opening and ending. The opening is a great introduction, but it feels weak compared to the rest of the film. Though it gets off on the wrong foot, “Zombieland” makes up for it by having a brilliant cast. As for the ending, it bothered me that these “zombie experts” would make such trivial mistakes. Shooting guns in someone's honor, while polite, isn't what you do in a zombie apocalypse. The noise attracts every zombie nearby. Not a good idea. I don't want to spoil the ending, but the amusement park idea – well, that speaks for itself.

“Zombieland” is a fast-paced, fun film with great characters. It's one that will be enjoyed by both horror aficionados and mainstream audiences.

This movie is rated R.