Hairspray | Teen Ink

Hairspray

Hairspray is a fabulous movie that I recommend to all ages. Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) is an overweight teenager with a purpose. She teaches 1962 Baltimore a thing or two about integration after landing a spot on her favorite segregated television show, The Corny Collins Show. The Corny Collins Show is on a white station but it lets African Americans show up on once a month on a special day called, “Negro Day.” Tracy decides that it’s not fair that the black kids only dance once a month and with help from Seaweed (Elijah Kelley), Link (Zac Efron), Penny (Amanda Bynes), Motormouth Maybelle (Queen Latifiah), her father Wilbur (Christopher Walken) and loving mother Edna (John Travolta), Tracy will going to integrate the show.
Nikki Blonsky was perfect for the role of Tracy. She has an extraordinary voice and plays the part with emotion and power. John Travolta, spectacular as always in every movie he stars, played mother, Edna. I wouldn’t have cast anyone else for this role, man or woman. Zac Efron also added to the movie in a fabulous way. After staring in Disney’s High School Musical and High School Musical 2, Hairspray really made Efron shine. Amanda Bynes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Queen Latifiah, Brittany Snow, and Elijah Kelley were also fantastic.
With hit songs such as The Nicest Kids In Town, I Can Hear the Bells, Big, Blonde, and Beautiful, Welcome to the Sixties, and You Can’t Stop the Beat, Hairspray is over the top! Nominated for three Golden Globes, Critics Choice Award, Grammy, Hollywood Film Award, MTV Movie Award, and People’s Choice Award and the winner of Teen Choice Award and Young Hollywood Award, this movie is fantastic. You must see this movie. You won’t regret it!