The List by Siobhan Vivian | Teen Ink

The List by Siobhan Vivian

By AllThingsFlawless GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
AllThingsFlawless GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.”
—Allen Ginsberg, WD

The List by Siobhan Vivian is seriously one of the best books I have ever read, hands down. This book is just simply amazing, and I’m not even saying that just so you’ll read the book. I’m serious.

The List is about, well, a list. It’s a simple piece of paper that is posted around the school every year, and it picks two girls from each grade. Identifying them as the ugliest or as the prettiest. When the girls get on the list, they are not forgotten, at all. They’re suddenly thrust into the spotlight, and each deals with it differently from the other.

Abby, who is feeling excited about the list, is concerned about her sister’s animosity.

Danielle just wants to make sure that her boyfriend will still want to talk to her.

Lauren is confused on what to do with her sudden popularity.

Candace believes that she is drop dead gorgeous, so the list is obviously confused

Bridget knows that her own transformation is not something that people should be congratulating her about.

Sarah, who has always rebelled against the common specifications of beauty, selects to take her beliefs to an entirely different level.

Oh and Margo and Jennifer, complete polar opposites, are pushed to confront why their best friendship ended.

This book takes you on a journey through the lives of eight very different girls, straining with the problems of self-esteem and their own identity.

This book proves that beauty and ugliness don’t always have to do with appearances. It also shows that the judgment of your peers really can affect you, in more ways than one.
It’s funny. It’s heartbreaking. It’s great. Read it, and I promise it will be worth your time.

There are no words other than: Amazing, to describe this book.